Which Conventions to Attend . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Conventions to Attend . . .

So I have a bit of a problem with having too many conventions to attend this spring and ZERO dollars to attend them with. Here are links to my four easiest options for those interested in the problem I have . . .

http://www.c2e2.com/Guests/Entertainment-Guests/

The Chicago Comic Entertainment Expo is the first coming up on the calendar. This is a Con I have attended twice. The first time I met JMS, Bruce Boxleitner, Mira Furlan, and our own Celebrity Moderator Extraordinaire Jan. I am very familiar with the setup and it isn't too far away. The issue I have this year is that there aren't many Celebrity Guests I am interested in meeting.

http://wizardworld.com/comiccon/stlouis

St. Louis Wizard World is next on the list. I've never been to this one, despite the fact I could drive the two hours to and two hours back every day. The main issue I have here is that David Tennant is only available if you buy a Dual V.I.P. Pass for $500+. There is no chance I would do that, especially considering the fact that Billie Piper is making herself available at NON-V.I.P. prices. Plus if you look at the guests for the other Cons you'll see that she will also be appearing in Houston. The main issue is that I don't want to go an be denied Tennant, but this one would probably be the easiest and cheapest one for me to attend. Plus I could get more friends to go.

http://indianacomiccon.com/

Indiana Comic Con is the next on the list and is the one two friends are begging me to go to because they want to meet the four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Animated Series Voice Artists who will be there. I don't want to go to this one because I can't pass up 6 of the 7 main Celebrity Guests and it would require me to pay for multiple hotel nights. With the high prices they are charging plus travel expense the trip would easily cost me seven to eight hundred dollars that I just don't have. My friends think they can drive over to Indianapolis, get what they want, and drive back with minimal expense. They are kidding themselves because they haven't been to more than one Con between them. They could try, but they might not get everything they want and they definitely wouldn't have much fun doing it. Plus they don't realize how being at a Con all day can really take it out of you; on top of driving many hours there and many hours back. Unfortunately they are dead set on going and that means they won't be able to go with me to any of the others. So really the question with this one is whether or not it is worth it to go to a Con and be forced to pass up on people you want to meet because you can't afford it for the benefit of trying to have a fun trip with friends. I don't know. I think being forced to pass on people I want to meet would just put me in a bad mood.

http://spacecitycomiccon.com/guests.html

And finally the worst of them all, Space City Comic Con in Houston, Texas. As you might know I've attended this one since it was Space City Con's Babylon 5 20TH Anniversary Reunion Con. Here are some pluses and minuses. Plus, it is semi-easy for me to attend because I can stay with my mother. Plus, admission and parking are very reasonable. It is very affordable to get in the door for all three days as long as you don't buy their food. Minus, I have to get myself to Houston. Huge minus is that their guest list is WAY too big. Seriously I feel like there are at least 12 people on that list I can NOT pass up. I feel like I would be miserable because I would have to skip so many quests due to their prices. Also I feel like there is something wrong here. Most Cons I've followed have Writers and Comic Book people scheduled well before getting Celebs. This Con had almost ALL of these Celebs before either of the other two categories. Plus, this is the furthest Con out in terms of dates and they've had WAY more guests listed for a long time than the other three. I feel if I commit to this one every person I want to meet will back out. On top of that, my friends had originally said they were going with me to this one and have now backed out in favor of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. So the dilemma is will I be miserable because my funds are limited or will I be so busy with panels and having fun that the funds situation won't matter.

If you would like to give your opinion based on guest lists alone I would greatly appreciate it as well.

Anyway this is a first post and now other people can post their Con questions if they ever arise.

(You know this wouldn't be an issue if any of these Cons would just add some Babylon 5 people. Maybe that will happen soon and make my mind up for me.)
    Last edited by Looney; 02-19-2016, 03:10 PM.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

First thought: You talk about 'passing up' celebs because of money. But you don't have to buy anything to just go up to them and let them know how much you enjoy their work. And with some exceptions (a trend I'm not fond of), panels are free, too. In all my years of con-going, I've only *once* been bored at a panel I attended at a con even if I wasn't familiar with the show/book/comic/movie.

I liked C2E2 quite a bit, it seems pretty well organized.

Wizard World - great guests but an incredible money-grubbing gauntlet. This is the con chain that had a handler chivvying Sean Astin when he and I were talking about Jeremiah (I'd brought a script for him to sign) to the point where Sean snapped at him to lay off.

I think you're right and your friends are wrong - cons are really wearing. Going to 'get what you want' kind of defeats the purpose of going to a con. Even meeting the celebs in person shouldn't be the main thing since that's only a few seconds at a time. Cons are for hanging out with like-minded people in an atmosphere of fun, IMO.

I'm giving some thought to attending Space City con myself. A hotel I worked at when I was much younger has re-opened after 20 or so years closed and I'm wanting to make a pilgrimage to see it again. The con would give me a second reason. I enjoyed the one in Galveston a lot, though I hope this one will be better attended.

Doubt if any of that's any help at all!

My con is San Diego Comic-Con and you pretty much have to be a professional con-goer to make it to that one. And we're talking *really* expensive!!!!

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Looney,

Have you considered Archcon?
      http://www.archonstl.org/
      September 30 - October 2, 2016
      Gateway Convention Center and DoubleTree Hotel
      Collinsville, IL (outside St. Louis, MO, USA)

Comment

Oooo sorry I didn't see the responses to this post earlier. I'll come back later to discuss. Just have time to drop in this news, which is bad news for Space City Comic Con.

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/hou...indeed-8225680

So the city feels they want more of a cut. What else in new.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that when George Comits posted about it on Facebook. Maybe they're embarrassed at having invested in a con with a stupid name?

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

So was C2E2 a go or not?

Just bein' nosey...

Jan

Comment

I did not attend C2E2 2016. There just wasn't enough I was interested in to inspire me to shell out the funds. Plus I am pretty broke now so the only possible Con I might go to is Space City Comic Con. I would say that is very doubtful, but apparently it is going to be a HUGE deal with my family if I am not in the Houston/Austin area around the time my brother's first born arrives. I don't see the big deal of being there on the actual day instead of a few weeks or months later, but apparently I don't get much of a say in the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                http://wizardworld.com/comiccon/stlouis

St. Louis Wizard World is next on the list. I've never been to this one, despite the fact I could drive the two hours to and two hours back every day. The main issue I have here is that David Tennant is only available if you buy a Dual V.I.P. Pass for $500+. There is no chance I would do that, especially considering the fact that Billie Piper is making herself available at NON-V.I.P. prices. Plus if you look at the guests for the other Cons you'll see that she will also be appearing in Houston. The main issue is that I don't want to go an be denied Tennant, but this one would probably be the easiest and cheapest one for me to attend. Plus I could get more friends to go.
                Looney, if you attend St. Louis Wizard World you may encounter my younger daughter and one of her friends. She told me she purchased tickets.

Comment

Unfortunately I won't be making it to STL Wizard World again this year. I just don't have the funds to spend despite finding a way to get discounted tickets through the STL Post Dispatch.

Comment

My younger daughter called to tell me she attended a panel discussion with David Tennant and Billie Piper. The very expensive Dual V.I.P. Pass was for meeting them in a smaller group.

With great paternal pride:
                    She also called to tell me she asked a question at a James Marsters panel that she video taped. I believe I have a budding "Jan" as a daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dassow View Post
                      My younger daughter called to tell me she attended a panel discussion with David Tennant and Billie Piper. The very expensive Dual V.I.P. Pass was for meeting them in a smaller group.

With great paternal pride:
                      She also called to tell me she asked a question at a James Marsters panel that she video taped. I believe I have a budding "Jan" as a daughter.
                      Fair warning: 'Moderate to Severe' (as the pharma commercials put it) obsession can be expensive!!

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        Fair warning: 'Moderate to Severe' (as the pharma commercials put it) obsession can be expensive!!

Jan
                        Noted. I suspect she already understands the expense. If she posts the video online, I will (with her permission) post a link here.

Comment

Dan: Cool, thanks.

Looney: It's looking more likely all the time that I'll be around for at least part of Space City Con. Stay tuned...

Jan

Comment

For any who wondered (right...), had a great time at Space City Con despite the fact that the con itself had MANY problems - including not paying the stars, I understand.

Looney and I had some time to get together and we worked out all the problems of the world and then decided not to do any of it. Cause we're mean.

BTW, here's the Dream Police Badge I told you about.

Jan
                            Last edited by Jan; 05-30-2016, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                              For any who wondered (right...), had a great time at Space City Con despite the fact that the con itself had MANY problems - including not paying the stars, I understand.

Looney and I had some time to get together and we worked out all the problems of the world and then decided not to do any of it. Cause we're mean.

BTW, here's the Dream Police Badge I told you about.

Jan
                              Lieutenant Detective Jan Schroeder has a nice ring to it. When can we expect to hear about your exploits as part of the Dream Police?

Yes, I do know that you are not part of the Dream Police, but the concept of you being part of the force was too fun not to mention.

Comment

Working...
                              X