Star Wars VII - NO Spoilers till Jan. 23, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars VII - NO Spoilers till Jan. 23, 2016

There is no thread for this yet so I assume there is not a lot of love on this forum for it, so I'll just post some spoiler free stuff here.

Just saw Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. I set the bar super low for this movie, so thankfully I ended up liking it - which is saying a lot because I saw it under crappy conditions. I have avoided all spoilers for this movie from day one and three hours before I was seeing it my now EX-friend decided to just blurt a huge one out. On top of that I went with a group and others in the group got there five minutes before me and sat in a HORRIBLE spot. They were too close and off to the side. So I got to see a movie I've been waiting 30 years for in blurry 3D at a bad angle. It was just AWFUL - having to see it that way, not the movie. I am sooooo mad at myself for being an adult and sitting with the group and not telling them they screwed up and going to sit in a proper place. Okay venting over - thanks.

So I did enjoy the movie and I do plan to see it again under my conditions.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Originally posted by Looney View Post
    There is no thread for this yet so I assume there is not a lot of love on this forum for it, so I'll just post some spoiler free stuff here.

Just saw Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. I set the bar super low for this movie, so thankfully I ended up liking it - which is saying a lot because I saw it under crappy conditions. I have avoided all spoilers for this movie from day one and three hours before I was seeing it my now EX-friend decided to just blurt a huge one out. On top of that I went with a group and others in the group got there five minutes before me and sat in a HORRIBLE spot. They were too close and off to the side. So I got to see a movie I've been waiting 30 years for in blurry 3D at a bad angle. It was just AWFUL - having to see it that way, not the movie. I am sooooo mad at myself for being an adult and sitting with the group and not telling them they screwed up and going to sit in a proper place. Okay venting over - thanks.

So I did enjoy the movie and I do plan to see it again under my conditions.
    Doing an original trilogy re-watch tonight (Harmy's Despecialized editions - screw you George Lucas!) then off to see Force Awakens on Sunday! I didn't want to see it in 3D, but my friends booked it so 3D it is.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I'm going on tuesday with two female friends, avoiding spoilers but not being utterly mental about it, seeing in 2d as 3d usually doesn't work for me
      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Remember folks, you're welcome to start a thread if you like. Sorry I didn't think of this myself.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I just got back from seeing it (normal, non-IMAX, non-3-D screen). I liked that there was actually applause in a few places and at the end.

Overall I enjoyed it. For the most part it did well capturing the feel of the original movie. I liked the new characters quite a bit. If I have a complaint it's that we didn't get much meat as far as getting to know them. Screw the stunt flying, I want more character moments.

Not sure I'll see it again in the theater but it's possible.

If y'all want a spoiler thread, you're welcome to start one or I can allow spoilers if you promise to use them sparingly and always use spoiler tags.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Spoiler free Force Awakens review! I grinned like an idiot for the full duration of the film. I enjoyed the living hell out of it. Abrams and co got everything totally right, and I can look past any flaws because it was simply so much fun, and gave us everything Lucas was incapable of. Good strong characters and an epic sense of drama. Just great. This is the Star Wars of my youth!

Another thing that greatly pleased me, was such a strong female lead in the form of Rey, and was I was heartened by the idea that a generation of young girls have a new kick ass female protagonist in the Star Wars universe.

BB-8 totally stole the show for me. I loved how human and fleshed out ALL the characters were, and the film had real warmth. Just freaking great. Felt like being a kid again.
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I've still have not seen TFA. Fortunately, I'm have not heard or read any major spoilers.

Just in case no one here has seen Peter David's review of TFA, I'm posting a link to the review here. Since the review contains spoilers, please discuss your reaction in the "Star Wars VII *SPOILER THREAD*" (http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41499); I will not read the review or that thread until after I see the film.

So…STAR WARS. My thoughts.
              http://www.peterdavid.net/2015/12/29...s-my-thoughts/
              Last edited by Dan Dassow; 12-29-2015, 07:05 PM. Reason: Post munched.

Comment

It was okay, the biggest annoyances were too much pandering (for good reason, the prequels were dog crap and they had to gain our trust), a ridiculously small universe (a new Tatooine lookin planet etc) and the waste of John Williams' talents.

It doesn't hold a handle to the creativity of the OT or Jupiter Ascending, but everything else was ok to great and it sets the stage to make two really cool sequels (at least I hope so).
                My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

Working...
                X