Do you work with robots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you work with robots?

It's been 15 years since the calendar clicked over the big 2000 and the 'future' is definitely here.
    No flying cars or even hover boards yet, but plenty of robots are entering the work place.

So I've been wondering how many of us are now working with robots?

At the printing plant there are three in my pre-press department, 'Huey', 'Dewey' and 'Louie'.
    As a matter of fact, I'm the only human!
    Two are just big overgrown laser printers that print on aluminum plates and automatically hand them off to smaller washing machines.
    But I consider them 'real' robots because they do what I used to when this job was more of a craft.

the third performs a more humble job of unpacking and stacking aluminum press plates all day long.
    It knows just enough to stop and wait for assistance if things go awry…though not as friendly as my Roomba vacuum cleaner.

So anyone else have a robot in the work place? And how do you like it?

- As Spock once said:
    Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them.
    Last edited by DaveNarn; 11-29-2015, 12:04 AM.

Well, I wrote a game *about* robots, and that game was automatically tested by a so-called "bot" that solves the game's puzzles on its own, and even creates error reports if it encounters anything out of place...

...so I guess in a sense, I do work with robots?
    Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
      - As Spock once said:
      Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them.
      I thought just the same while I was reading your post. It' s cool that you're working with robots while they are inferior to you or at least equal, just make sure they don't become your bosses one day
      As for my workplace, we are so far from any robots, eveything we have in the office is too old, I even had Office 2003 till the last week...
      Speaking about future in general, I'm not sure about flying cars,but I think with all the traffic that is in big cities very soon helicopters would be used almost as frequently as cars, and maybe then something like flying cars would appear. As for the hover boards, I would like to see them and to try using them very much! I just hope they appear before I'm too old to try

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
        Well, I wrote a game *about* robots, and that game was automatically tested by a so-called "bot" that solves the game's puzzles on its own, and even creates error reports if it encounters anything out of place...

...so I guess in a sense, I do work with robots?
        Good one!
        I had not considered software bots in the workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorlon_Stacy View Post
          I thought just the same while I was reading your post. It' s cool that you're working with robots while they are inferior to you or at least equal, just make sure they don't become your bosses one day
          As long as I can turn them all the way off, I will be in control
          The first response from tech support is always 'Turn it off, then turn it on'.

btw: I've heard that the Tesla cars on the road with the latest software download are now all self driving. Plenty of youtube videos of that upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
            btw: I've heard that the Tesla cars on the road with the latest software download are now all self driving. Plenty of youtube videos of that upgrade
            Yeah, I've heard about that, although haven't seen any videos yet. I have always dreamt of having a self driving car with a sort of a remote control, as it happened to me quite often to drive somewhere, leave the car and then have a long walk from the parking place. So I've always thought it would be great if the car could drive itself to the place where I walked to, so that I needen't come back I don't know if new Tesla cars have such an option, but I haven't heard anything about that, as far as I know they just drive when someone is inside...

Comment

Originally posted by Vorlon_Stacy View Post
              Yeah, I've heard about that, although haven't seen any videos yet. I have always dreamt of having a self driving car with a sort of a remote control, as it happened to me quite often to drive somewhere, leave the car and then have a long walk from the parking place. So I've always thought it would be great if the car could drive itself to the place where I walked to, so that I needen't come back I don't know if new Tesla cars have such an option, but I haven't heard anything about that, as far as I know they just drive when someone is inside...
              That would be great to have my car pick me up!

-----------

There was a news story that caught my eye recently about the use of virtual presence.

Robot goes to school for girl
              http://www.castanet.net/news/World/1...chool-for-girl

A Maryland girl who is undergoing cancer treatment will be able to attend school with the help of a robot.
              "As they see that robot in the hallways, that's Peyton," said school principal Douglas Robbins. "She's here, she's with us and she's going to engage in the school day, just like the rest of them."

Comment

Working...
              X