Guillermo del Torro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guillermo del Torro

I was going to revive the General Movie Thread, but then I decided to go this route instead. I like del Torro's work, but I can't say I love it. I always feel like there is something missing, but I still really enjoy what he does. He is someone I would love to see JMS to work with, though I admit I'm not sure it would go well. This weekend del Torro's efforts brought forth Crimson Peak (2015) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2554274/...ref_=hm_cht_t3

I am very disappointed this movie did not do better at the box office, but I know two huge reasons why and neither of them has to do with what del Torro presented. Firstly some idiot thought it would be a good idea to release an October horror movie two weeks before Halloween weekend. Second some idiot thought it would be a good idea to release an October horror movie on a weekend that featured a kids movie and a Hanks/Spielberg movie, both of which did worse than I expected.

My disappointment also has two fronts. Firstly I hoped this film would do well because a few months back Ron Perlman posted on Facebook that this movie needed to be a hit so del Torro could secure financing for Hellboy 3. True or not it couldn't have hurt to have this movie be a box office hit.

Secondly I am disappointed because I really enjoyed this movie. I will say that it probably isn't for everyone. It is painfully slow and very predictable, but it also has some wonderfully unique del Torro elements and I really like what he did with the script. If you enjoy Hammer Horror movies or Gothic Horror tales in general then you'll probably really enjoy this movie. It wasn't really quite what I expected.

Anyway, here is a thread where we can discuss this Director's work . . . and rank it.

Guillermo del Torro Horror.

Cronos (1993) vs. Crimson Peak (2015) = I can't remember enough about Cronos to compare.

Mimic (1997) vs. Crimson Peak (2015) = Crimson Peak by a landslide if we're talking overall quality.

Devil's Backbone (2001) vs. Crimson Peak (2015) = I don't remember much about Devil's Backbone, but I feel like I would have to give it the win over Crimson Peak because I remember feeling like it had originality. Crimson Peak feels more like del Torro's twist on a story I have seen many times before.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) vs. Crimson Peak (2015) = I edge Peak over it because I wasn't a big fan of Pan's Labyrinth. I don't mean it is a bad movie. It just wasn't my cup of tea. And I know that technically Pan's Labyrinth (2006) isn't viewed as a horror movie, but it seems to have horror qualities to me.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Mind you I haven't seen it and probably won't because it's not my sort of movie. That said....

Firstly some idiot thought it would be a good idea to release an October horror movie two weeks before Halloween weekend.
    A) Why not release it a couple of weeks early when people are getting into the mood for Halloween? After all, Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios runs quite a few weekends ahead of Halloween.

B) I've been reading that it's not a horror story at all, but a ghost story.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I haven't seen Crimson Peak yet... but...

Cronos was great, a good original take on the vampire myth done on a shoestring budget, but none the worse for it.

Pan's Labyrinth, I just loved. The practical FX work was divine and the design work was utterly beguiling. Plus, I enjoyed the historical context and the dark / grimm fairytale aspect of it.

The Devil's Backbone is also really worth a watch, as far as his earlier work goes.

I think Del Torro has real talent. Like many good directors, he just needs to be free to make good films outside of the constraints of Hollywood and box office expectations.
      Last edited by Ubik; 10-19-2015, 02:41 PM.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Mind you I haven't seen it and probably won't because it's not my sort of movie. That said....

A) Why not release it a couple of weeks early when people are getting into the mood for Halloween? After all, Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios runs quite a few weekends ahead of Halloween.

B) I've been reading that it's not a horror story at all, but a ghost story.

Jan
        A) Why not release it one week before Halloween or even Halloween weekend? People are getting in the mood, but that mood increases closer to the day. Plus the weekend already had a Halloween themed kids movie being released and a Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg movie being released.

B) Oh it is definitely a horror story. I don't know why anyone would say differently. I would say more, but then we would get into spoiler territory. And honestly very few ghost story movies are not horror movies as the term 'Horror' has become the identifying title for this these types of movies. It is like I said, Crimson Peak seems very much like del Torro's take on a Hammer Horror Gothic tale.

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
        I think Del Torro has real talent. Like many good directors, he just needs to be free to make good films outside of the constraints of Hollywood and box office expectations.
        Unfortunately most of his films do seem to require large effects budgets. Right now he has Pacific Rim 2 on the horizon and I don't know how that movie gets made without box office expectations. I totally agree with you. I think he and JMS just need to be given blank checks to do what they want.

Comment

So still no other comments for Crimson Peak (2015), even with Halloween approaching?

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            So still no other comments for Crimson Peak (2015), even with Halloween approaching?
            I heard good things, but I don't go to the cinema much. I only just saw Fury Road, which was amazing and now I kinda wished I'd seen it on the big screen!

Comment

I only just saw Fury Road, which was amazing and now I kinda wished I'd seen it on the big screen!
              It was exactly as it was meant to be.

Comment

I love GDT. The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are both masterpieces, gorgeous, smart, human - and deeply leftist. Hellboy is, in its own way, a perfect movie.

Sadly, though, I think he sometimes has a tendency to get lost in building amazing sets and creating stunning visuals. If Hellboy 2 felt like the weaker cousin of Pan's Labyrinth, Crimson Peak is the weaker cousin of Devil's Backbone, with which it shares several parallels (the bookend voiceovers, the appearance of a certain ghost) but none of the thematic weight.

Is it a bad movie? Definitely not. And I didn't expect it to be political like his Spanish-language movies. But I think the script needed another draft to make it really work.
                Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Pacific Rim 2 dead for now. (My guess is because Crimson Peak didn't make what someone wanted it to make.)

Del Torro moving on to direct a Fantastic Voyage remake.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...r-now-20160107

I hope it happens, but I am not going to get my hopes up until the first trailer is released.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                    Pacific Rim 2 dead for now. (My guess is because Crimson Peak didn't make what someone wanted it to make.)

Del Torro moving on to direct a Fantastic Voyage remake.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...r-now-20160107

I hope it happens, but I am not going to get my hopes up until the first trailer is released.
                    Remakes... Yaaaaaaawn. Hollywood needs to stop this shit. It's a waste of a creative mind like del Toro's, he should be making his own films. Sigh.

Comment

Remakes... Yaaaaaaawn. Hollywood needs to stop this shit. It's a waste of a creative mind like del Toro's, he should be making his own films. Sigh.
                      This was cute:

Originally posted by JMichael Straczynski
                      ‏@straczynski 23h23 hours ago
                      @RealGDT Guillermo, if you're looking for a new project to direct, there's a Forbidden Planet draft sitting at Warners by me and @jimcameron

Jan
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

NOW THAT I WANT TO SEE ! ! !

Especially since I would much rather see Forbidden Planet than Fantastic Voyage. JMS' Forbidden Planet would just be . . . out of this world. LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X