The Martian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Martian

It's really good. A celebration of science, intelligence, compassion, and disco.

Go see it.
    Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

What... just... happened? How did this get posted here? I swear to Zathras I'd opened the other forum.

Comment

All better now.

Thinking of going to see this. Heard lots of good things about it.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Do see it! It's the kind of movie that makes you feel good about the world.

Comment

I enjoyed it. I think it is the best thing Ridley Scott has done in a very long time.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

finally saw the Martian and really liked it.
            Like '2010 a Space Odyssey', I'm glad they kept true to the science as much as possible.

Comment

We watched the Martian last week. A good movie with a nice mood of science, despair and humor. Everything you need. Does anyone know how it holds up compared to the book? Oh, and look at that, the script is by Drew Goddard. That warms the heart of a Buffy fan.

The reason we watched the Martian is that we got the boardgame Terraforming Mars for Christmas. I can recommend it. A solid game with both a science and a B5 connection. There is no Psi Corp in Syria Planum, but there might be some buried shadow ships though.

Comment

Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                We watched the Martian last week. A good movie with a nice mood of science, despair and humor. Everything you need. Does anyone know how it holds up compared to the book? Oh, and look at that, the script is by Drew Goddard. That warms the heart of a Buffy fan.

The reason we watched the Martian is that we got the boardgame Terraforming Mars for Christmas. I can recommend it. A solid game with both a science and a B5 connection. There is no Psi Corp in Syria Planum, but there might be some buried shadow ships though.

One of Steve's movies.

https://steveburg.artstation.com/projects/nyaLr

Comment

The audio book is amazing. In fairness it really lends itself to the format, being largely presented as a series of log entries. They cut a god chunk out and I thnk the humour in the audiobook is delivered really well. It's ok a a move but, as ever, the book is better. I enjoyed the performance so much i went searching for other books by this narrator.
                  "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
                    The audio book is amazing. In fairness it really lends itself to the format, being largely presented as a series of log entries. They cut a god chunk out and I thnk the humour in the audiobook is delivered really well. It's ok a a move but, as ever, the book is better. I enjoyed the performance so much i went searching for other books by this narrator.

That is a good grade for a narrator.

Comment

Working...
                    X