X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agent Carter

Anyone watching this?

It's brilliant.

Fun, well scripted, stylishly shot, great period correct dress and sets. The characters and plot are engaging from the get go. It hits it clear out of the park, tenfold better than the severely patchy Agents of Shield.

Up to episode 7 now, and it packs real dramatic punch once they've set up all the pieces. It just has no fat at all, this mini series format has done the writing a world of good.

This makes me hopeful for Marvel's forthcoming Daredevil show on Netflix.
    Last edited by Ubik; 02-19-2015, 12:25 PM.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

I don't think I've seen more than one full episode so far, though I do keep trying. You're not the first I've heard rave reviews from so I'll try to catch up with it.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
      Anyone watching this?

It's brilliant.

Fun, well scripted, stylishly shot, great period correct dress and sets. The characters and plot are engaging from the get go. It hits it clear out of the park, tenfold better than the severely patchy Agents of Shield.

Up to episode 7 now, and it packs real dramatic punch once they've set up all the pieces. It just has no fat at all, this mini series format has done the writing a world of good.

This makes me hopeful for Marvel's forthcoming Daredevil show on Netflix.
      Originally posted by Jan View Post
      I don't think I've seen more than one full episode so far, though I do keep trying. You're not the first I've heard rave reviews from so I'll try to catch up with it.

Jan
      I've also enjoyed "Agent Carter". It will be interesting to see how the writers will handle the season finale next Tuesday.

"Agent Carter" has a number of advantages over "Agents of Shield". "Agent Carter" keeps its focus on an established, sympathetic lead character. Agent Carter demonstrates from the very beginning that she is both savvy and physically capable of meeting the challenges ahead of her. In contrast, her boss and coworkers treat her as though she were only a secretary or errand girl. This disparity between her capability and how here office values her help make her sympathetic and makes it easy for the audience to root from her. The series is a limited run series single story. The story revolves around a coherently described mystery, which could potentially be resolved by the season finale.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

Jan
        You absolutely should Jan. It just gets an awful lot right, and it’s really fun without being too kooky or unbelievable.

Originally posted by Dan Dassow
        I've also enjoyed "Agent Carter". It will be interesting to see how the writers will handle the season finale next Tuesday.

"Agent Carter" has a number of advantages over "Agents of Shield". "Agent Carter" keeps its focus on an established, sympathetic lead character. Agent Carter demonstrates from the very beginning that she is both savvy and physically capable of meeting the challenges ahead of her. In contrast, her boss and coworkers treat her as though she were only a secretary or errand girl. This disparity between her capability and how here office values her help make her sympathetic and makes it easy for the audience to root from her. The series is a limited run series single story. The story revolves around a coherently described mystery, which could potentially be resolved by the season finale.
        Yes, I agree that an underdog protagonist is always more instantly relatable. But add to this that the whole cast just seems to be fundamentally stronger than Agents of Shield, with its characters way more realised from the start. I guess I just like the tone of it a lot more. I do think they’ll wrap the series in a satisfactory way, but they will definitely be leaving scope for more. No idea how it’s fared ratings wise, but it deserves another season on the basis of what I’ve seen.

With Agent Carter I don’t feel like I’m being talked down to, where as with AOS I had to ask myself ‘why am I watching this crap’ on a regular basis. I’ve also been very impressed with how consistent the scripts have been, with every episode being written by different people. Anyhow, go watch it. It’s a real step up for Marvel’s TV output.

Comment

I have been watching this from the beginning and I love it.

I will admit to a weakness for comic book shows. but I am enjoying this a lot, I quite like JArvis as well.

perhaps we should add "spoiler" tags to posts in case somebody wants to watch it retroactively.
          "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
            I have been watching this from the beginning and I love it.

I will admit to a weakness for comic book shows. but I am enjoying this a lot, I quite like JArvis as well.

perhaps we should add "spoiler" tags to posts in case somebody wants to watch it retroactively.
            Yes, I was happy to see Jarvis is treated as more than just comic relief, which is what I feared when he was first introduced. Okay, lets all add spoiler tags for anything of importance. Don't think we’ve given away anything crucial yet!

I think the show has really earned its dramatic beats.

For example Dooley sacrificing himself in Episode 7 was really quite affecting. The stakes actually feel quite high, and there are real human losses.

I must admit, Hayley Atwell is a major draw, she does an absolutely sterling job of creating an engaging lead. Nice to see a strong, driven and well rounded female protagonist on screen again.

Comment

I have also really been enjoying this. I also like shield but in a different way. This has much better writing/story/drama happening. Its not just about cool superhero stuff. Well it is.. but not in the same way.

Highly recommend it!
              Milkman
              www.mhoc.net

Comment

Me, too.

Very good. No complaints.
                "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
                "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

So now that it is over I have to say that I really enjoyed this series, but I hope this is as far as it goes. I just don't see this series keeping me interested in the long term. I enjoyed it for what it was and I hope that is all it will ever be. Yes I would like to see a little more, but I don't want to get locked in to watching twenty episodes next year. If they want to do another little mini-series of six or eight episodes I would definitely watch it again.
                  Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                    So now that it is over I have to say that I really enjoyed this series, but I hope this is as far as it goes. I just don't see this series keeping me interested in the long term. I enjoyed it for what it was and I hope that is all it will ever be. Yes I would like to see a little more, but I don't want to get locked in to watching twenty episodes next year. If they want to do another little mini-series of six or eight episodes I would definitely watch it again.
                    I have a feeling they will keep to this format. It did okay in terms of ratings, even though the critical reception was very good. I don't think the show would work as well if you stretched it to full American TV style seasons. In fact, I think shows almost always fare better for shorter seasons. It does wonders for avoiding filler episodes and keeps the plotting tight.

Comment

So I just read that this show has officially been canceled. I quoted myself because I was COMPLETELY WRONG. Season 2 was WAY better than Season 1 and I REALLY wanted to see twenty episodes. What a shame. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. keeps going with its very mediocre content while Agent Carter Season 2 was excellent and gets axed. I certainly hope Disney/ABC/Marvel does the right thing and gives it some kind of real finale, either through another show or with a straight to home entertainment release.

Good news, IMO, is that Marvel's Most Wanted gets axed too because the pilot got mixed reviews. That idea was a mistake the second the Hunter character was created. I couldn't stand him and to try to build an entire series with him as a lead should get someone fired.

Comment

So I just read that this show has officially been canceled. I quoted myself because I was COMPLETELY WRONG. Season 2 was WAY better than Season 1 and I REALLY wanted to see twenty episodes. What a shame. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. keeps going with its very mediocre content while Agent Carter Season 2 was excellent and gets axed. I certainly hope Disney/ABC/Marvel does the right thing and gives it some kind of real finale, either through another show or with a straight to home entertainment release.

Good news, IMO, is that Marvel's Most Wanted gets axed too because the pilot got mixed reviews. That idea was a mistake the second the Hunter character was created. I couldn't stand him and to try to build an entire series with him as a lead should get someone fired.
                        Yes, the second season was quality TV. I wasn't too convinced by the 'big bad', but overall it was still great and heads and shoulders above anything AOS has achieved. Hayley Atwell was awesome and I could watch her all day as Carter.

I really doubt we'll get any kind of continuation unless someone like Netflix were to pick it up. Would makes total sense as something to add to their Marvel stall of shows.

Glad to hear 'Most Wanted' got the axe. No need for any more slightly sub par Marvel shows like Agents of Shield.

Comment

I wish it would become a Netflix Series, or that they would put a proper finale on Netflix. Perfect way to tie the Netflix Serieses to the rest of the Marvel Universe. And as far as Netflix's Marvel Series go, Daredevil Season 2 was not as good as Season 1, but it was good enough. I still haven't made it through Jessica Jones Season 1. I just don't find her interesting. Tennant is the best part of the show, but he doesn't make the show easier for me to watch. Just finished Episode 9 and I keep hearing it gets better as it goes. Still waiting for that to happen.

Comment

Here is a Change.org petition trying to accomplish exactly what we discussed.

https://www.change.org/p/netflix-sav...her-to-netflix

SAVE AGENT CARTER AND SEND HER TO NETFLIX ! ! !

Comment

Here is a Change.org petition trying to accomplish exactly what we discussed.

https://www.change.org/p/netflix-sav...her-to-netflix

SAVE AGENT CARTER AND SEND HER TO NETFLIX ! ! !
                              Thanks. I was looking for the petition.

Petition has around 7,400 votes to reach 75,000.

Comment

Working...
                              X