Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstellar

So... how did you find it?

I didn't even know it was open, it is on here and I may go and see it tue, if I see a movie mid week and bring my student card I can get in for half price comapred tot he weekend (about 6.75 rather than 14). This applies to all movies, now matter how close to first screening.
    Phaze
    on the "isn't finland a wonderfully egalitarian country" ID
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

I liked it! It was proper sci-fi, about humanity and the future and the possibility of hope. Not that typical postmodern "science is only an idea and we'd all be better off dead" kind of claptrap. It has its flaws, it didn't get to me emotionally like Sunshine did - but then again, that's my favourite sci-fi movie, so the comparison is unfair.

It's a good film, despite its flaws, and worth seeing.
      Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

It was thought provoking but everyone is praising this film as the next 2001. I find that comparison lacking. Thats what bugs me about modern films trying to do near future space stories grounded in science.

In 2001, Dave and Frank were as cool as cucumbers even facing extreme obstacles.
        Interstellar has a lot of histrionics and yelling among the crew.

Overall it's good movie, but not the "experience" I was hoping for.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
          In 2001, Dave and Frank were as cool as cucumbers even facing extreme obstacles.
          Interstellar has a lot of histrionics and yelling among the crew.
          Not to yank this off topic, but I have to say that your comment makes me want to see the film more. One thing I've never cared for in SF by the 'old masters' is that there's so seldom anything to make me feel along with the characters.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
            I read that Kubrick did that on purpose, but nobody says why

My take on it is that the primary intention behind the characters' coldness is to juxtapose it against HAL's almost-human emotions and effectively make the computer more likeable, so that in spite of all the atrocities he commits and the dread the "red eye" instills, you still feel for him when he begs Bowman not to kill him.

Had Bowman and Poole been replaced with Cooper and Brand, you would yell "shut down the damn thing already"; instead, you get a long painful scene where you actually feel more for the dying computer than you do for the murdered astronauts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
              it didn't get to me emotionally like Sunshine did - but then again, that's my favourite sci-fi movie, so the comparison is unfair.
              Sunshine was a fantastic movie, with a lot of detail, like Pinbacker-Searle-Kaneda parallels which you only notice on a second viewing.

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
              It's a good film, despite its flaws, and worth seeing.
              Completely agree. Going to see it the second time - reportedly it gets even better.

Comment

I saw it in IMAX this past weekend and I have to say I liked it more than Last year's Gravity (which while visually stunning annoyed the crap out of me science wise.).

Interstellar had quite a few moments of science mumbo jumbo, but as it did not hit me in the way Gravity did.

I had issues with the fact that there are planets in stable orbit around a black hole (BN). But I guess if you're far enough away it's possible. But there is no sunlight in the area of a BH and the x-rays from matter falling in would fry any planets there.

While there would be time dilation on the planet like they said, the difference between the ship in orbit around said planet and time on the planet would not be as great as the movie has it. As time dilation is based on how far you are from the BH.

Of course Cooper entering the BH would quickly be torn apart and become x-rays rather than being able to survive his journey. But I can forgive this since it's possible that the "aliens" had some super tech that enabled him to survive.

Overall I think the movie's reached for something it couldn't quite grasp.
                All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

Working...
                X