Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like all of B5 on a single disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    Okay...this goes back to my PC thread...do I wait for this innovation and do I go for an internal HD-DVD or Blu-ray? Or will we have to wait for a better answer? Remember, I want this new compy to last until 2010.
    Neither...
    </Kosh>
    Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
    James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
      Neither...
      </Kosh>
      Neither to what? Neither to the HD-DVD and Blu-ray or neither to those and waiting for more informtion to make a better decision?
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Yes...
        </Kosh>

Now seriously: if you buy into HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVD now you may end up with a non-compatible technology in the future.
        Until one emerges as a clear winner the current DVD "standard" is perfectly OK and there's no need to wait.
        Unless you absolutely need at this very moment the ability to burn discs with 20-50 GB data (the maximum capacity of those new formats is one difference), instead of "only" 5 GB as in DVD-R, I would wait.
        Also, I think there are double sided DVDs so you could actually already burn 10 GB of data to a disk.
        If you wanted to burn personal movie DVDs and were using HD-DVD or Blu-Ray you'd also need to buy a player, which would be incompatible with the other one. You may end up having the equivalent of a Laser-Disc player...

As a matter of fact, even with the current DVD burners there are two competing formats, DVD-R and DVD+R, and burning in one format can be incompatible with certain DVD players and drives.

So don't wait for a better format, just get the best technology for the current format and you'll be OK for several years.

After those 10 years you want your computer to last finally the dust may have settled on whether HD-DVD or Blu-ray (or something better yet to come) is the new "standard."

The above is of course just my opinion.
        Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
        James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
          Yes...
          </Kosh>
          That's the answer I was looking for! I watched MOtFL the other day.

Now seriously: if you buy into HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVD now you may end up with a non-compatible technology in the future.
          Until one emerges as a clear winner the current DVD "standard" is perfectly OK and there's no need to wait.
          Unless you absolutely need at this very moment the ability to burn discs with 20-50 GB data (the maximum capacity of those new formats is one difference), instead of "only" 5 GB as in DVD-R, I would wait.
          Also, I think there are double sided DVDs so you could actually already burn 10 GB of data to a disk.
          If you wanted to burn personal movie DVDs and were using HD-DVD or Blu-Ray you'd also need to buy a player, which would be incompatible with the other one. You may end up having the equivalent of a Laser-Disc player...

As a matter of fact, even with the current DVD burners there are two competing formats, DVD-R and DVD+R, and burning in one format can be incompatible with certain DVD players and drives.

So don't wait for a better format, just get the best technology for the current format and you'll be OK for several years.

After those 10 years you want your computer to last finally the dust may have settled on whether HD-DVD or Blu-ray (or something better yet to come) is the new "standard."

The above is of course just my opinion.
          Sounds good, then. Plus, as someone at work pointed out to me (and something I should have realized) I can always add the player myself if need be.

Isn't HD-DVD expected to beat Blu-ray?
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Book recommendation

Read "Visions" by Michio Kaku. Good futurist stuff.

Comment

Music can now be purchased on solid state (flash) memory disks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/3754094.stm

Robbie album sold on memory card

Robbie Williams' Greatest Hits album is to be sold in memory card format for mobile phones and hand-held computers.
              It is believed to be the first time a major artist has sold music on the small, portable format.

The album will also come with video content and will work with high-specification mobile phones and many hand-held computers, such as the iPaq.

The card, at รบ29.99, will be available for sale at 600 Carphone Warehouse stores across the UK from next month.

Multimedia Memory Cards (MMC) can hold more than one gigabyte of data - the equivalent of about one-and-a-half compact discs

{Snip}

Note: Eight gigabyte memory cards able to hold an entire movie (DVD quality) go on sale next month (November). Although it will be a couple of years before mass production reduces the price to a level that the general public can afford.

The extreme temperature range means that they can be used outdoors by professional cameramen and soundmen.
              http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ext-cf.asp
              http://www.sandisk.com
              There are cheaper cards suitable for indoor use.
              Andrew Swallow

Comment

A guy at work showed me his new phone, which looks like a miniature GameBoy Advance. It can play games, movies on those cards and has internet access, etc. It can also store MP3's. It put him back $100.

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar
                  Babylon 5 is like a series of books ... a new book for each season, and when the volumes are on my shelf, they really do give the feeling of a living book.
                  How about one disc per season? Each disc would have a title:
                  "Signs and Portents"
                  "Coming of Shadows"
                  et cetera.

I hope BLU-RAY wins the battle. The latest revision can hold 3 times more than HD-DVD, 100 gigs, or 35 hours!
                  Last edited by RCmodeler; 10-29-2004, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X