Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Human

Anybody watching this?

It's the best new SF series I’ve come across in recent times. For those not in the know, the show is set in 2048, where the uncontrollable evolution of science and technology has caused crime rates to rise an astounding 400%. To combat this, the overwhelmed police force has implemented a new policy: every human police officer is paired up with a lifelike combat-model android. So, basically a police procedural set in a high tech future. The overall atmosphere reminds me a lot of Blade Runner, with a touch of Robocop. The production values are high, and the show has a very convincing near future look to it. It reminds me a little of Fringe, probably due to the Bad Robot / Abrams connection.

Karl Urban is a troubled, yet very likeable lead. His ‘synthetic’ partner played by Michael Ealy is equally engaging, who is a an older DRN model ‘synthetic’ originally destined for the scrap heap due to some design flaws. His model was, (surprise, surprise!) created to be as close to human as possible. This makes for a more interesting pairing of the characters and gives scope for a real bond to develop.

Thus far it’s been fairly ‘case of the week’ style in its presentation, but overall the quality of the show is better than most and the characters are strong. It’s already solid TV, and I could see it developing into something really good if they begin to weave in longer term plot lines.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

I would be inclined to say it is one of the better current crop of sci fi shows that are around. The only problem for me is, Netfix has ruined me for regular TV I am used to being able to stream shows as much as I have time to watch, not having more episodes available is rather frustrating.

So of the shows I am watching (new ones) this, sleepy hollow and The Tomorrow people (see separate thread) are my picks, can cheerfully munch my way through three or four episodes in a row.
    Phaze
    on the "wanders off muttering about some silly sporting event causing now episodes of his new shows to be shown this weekend" ID
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
      Phaze
      on the "wanders off muttering about some silly sporting event causing now episodes of his new shows to be shown this weekend" ID
      That would be that Superb Owl that everyone's been talking about. I've been waiting for it to arrive all weekend. It never did!

Comment

I've been watching. The show really needs a good overall arc. The character interaction is great, but some of the plots, though well done, are lacking originality. They need to step up the plots to equal the characters and setting. A few of the episodes have met the challenge, but not enough. I don't think this show will make it if it is just going to be a crime of the week buddy cop show.

The fact that they are not really adhering to an overall arc has helped to hide the fact that they are not airing them in order. Going back to the second episode after showing five through nine (I believe) wasn't too obvious, but who knows what will happen when they decide to show episodes three and four.
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post

The fact that they are not really adhering to an overall arc has helped to hide the fact that they are not airing them in order. Going back to the second episode after showing five through nine (I believe) wasn't too obvious, but who knows what will happen when they decide to show episodes three and four.
          I just watched Episode 7, now watching episode 8... the character continuity seems REALLY off (especially Kennex). This feels like an early episode, as he wastes an MX without batting an eyelid. You can tell these are being aired out of order. I just don't get why networks do this. Idiotic.

Comment

However, that said... I just watched episode 9 'Unbound'. Not sure if anyone else is bang up to date with this show, but 'wow'. Absolutely great episode.

To use JMS terminology, a real WHAM episode. I'll be continuing to watch this. Best SF on TV right now!

Oh, and a bit of a music geek thing - but I keep on hearing lovely little tributes to the Vangelis 'Blade Runner' score. Some of the synth tones are almost exact re-creations of the sounds he used. It's very evocative.
            Last edited by Ubik; 02-04-2014, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Totally agree. Unbound was really good. And I also agree about the music.

I can't say I am a fan of "The Wall" suddenly becoming a thing. It seems kind of late to suddenly introduce this concept. I don't recall any mention of a wall prior to this episode.

Still this was a good episode and I am interested to see where this threat goes from here.

Comment

Totally agree. Unbound was really good. And I also agree about the music.

I can't say I am a fan of "The Wall" suddenly becoming a thing. It seems kind of late to suddenly introduce this concept. I don't recall any mention of a wall prior to this episode.

Still this was a good episode and I am interested to see where this threat goes from here.
                Yes, the sudden introduction of 'the wall' puzzled me too. I do wonder if this is to do with the sequencing of episodes? Or perhaps it was intended to be in an earlier script and then dropped. For a moment there I thought I'd missed something. There may have been some passing reference to it in earlier episodes, but I'd have to go back and check.

In any case, it's an interesting new development and I'm intrigued to see what they do with it. Has a bit of a Dredd / 2000AD vibe to it.
                Last edited by Ubik; 02-05-2014, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Yeah I don't really understand it. The Wall seems like a really big deal, so if this is awkward because of episode sequencing then shouldn't it have been mentioned in another episode?! I am almost positive it has not been mentioned in another episode. Either way it is awkward. If this was meant to be an earlier episode then The Wall should have been mentioned in an episode we've already seen as it should have already been introduced according to the order of the scripts. If this episode is not out of order then The Wall should have been mentioned prior to this episode because it seems like such a big deal.

It will be interesting to see if they put them in the correct order when the show is released on DVD and Blu-Ray. Then we'll have our answer, but it probably won't make sense.

Comment

Yeah I don't really understand it. The Wall seems like a really big deal, so if this is awkward because of episode sequencing then shouldn't it have been mentioned in another episode?! I am almost positive it has not been mentioned in another episode. Either way it is awkward. If this was meant to be an earlier episode then The Wall should have been mentioned in an episode we've already seen as it should have already been introduced according to the order of the scripts. If this episode is not out of order then The Wall should have been mentioned prior to this episode because it seems like such a big deal.

It will be interesting to see if they put them in the correct order when the show is released on DVD and Blu-Ray. Then we'll have our answer, but it probably won't make sense.
                    I suspect this isn't a continuity error. We’re now getting to the point where they can’t just air the episodes in any order! The internet informs me that this is indeed the first reference to ‘the wall’.

I think they are keeping it as mysterious as possible; so it’s something they can build on (no pun intended!) in future episodes. However, it would have been nice if it had been mentioned in passing in one or two episodes. A bit sloppy from a writing prespective, but I’m absolutely in for what follows.

Comment

WOW! This week's episode, Perception, is a real tough one to tell, but I think it is out of order. It seems way out of order, but then again it might also just be retouching on themes the show drifted away from. I definitely say it is out of order because Kennex seems very different and . . .

. . . it seems odd that they would come back to the pill issue that seemed to be abandoned when they started showing them out of order. That tells me this one is out of order and we have yet to see the episode where he deals with it. If I am wrong that means they really did just completely ignore his memory retrieval problems for many episodes and now they remembered to go back to them, which would be really bad.

The episode itself was tainted for me by the memory issues being brought up again out of the blue. I am sure if I hadn't been distracted by that the episode would have been fine.

I think it is really strange that they introduced the two boys at the school and never came back to them at all. I know it was a good mislead, but one scene and that is it. They were mentioned as suspects, but I was sure of the fact that if they didn't do it they were going to end up victims by the end of the episode. I was wrong.

The most interesting thing in this episode for me was the reveal that Stahl is genetically engineered. I didn't really think it meant that much, but when they said the drug effected them differently it made me wonder about what is different about Stahl. It is an interesting turn.

Comment

Yes, I got exactly the same feeling from this one. It felt like it should have been shown earlier on, to link up more closely with Kennex chasing down leads to do with the ambush. What was revealed was intriguing, but yes, it felt a bit fractured. I somehow suspect there'll be a new running order for the DVD, which will no doubt enhance things greatly. I just don’t understand why a network would choose to ignore the desired ‘flow’ of a story as dictated by the people who created the show.

Still enjoying this a lot. Best thing currently doing the rounds in terms of TV SF.
                        Last edited by Ubik; 02-12-2014, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Saw one episode when HIMYM and 2BG were in reruns, and immediately liked it. However, I'm a big HIMYM fan. I watch the CBS Monday block, 8PM-11PM ET. Also, I'm EXTREMELY LEERY of FOX, they've bitten me with cancelleatins of favorites FAR, FAR TOO MANY TIMES.

ps. I also watched Sleepy Hollow that night and liked it as well. Too bad this stuff is on FOX. if I watch it regularly; they'll sense it and cancel it.
                          Mac Breck (KoshN)
                          ------------------
                          Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                          JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                          Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

I tried to get into Sleepy Hollow. I watched the first ten episodes and just couldn't stand it. I really don't know why it is popular.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                              Saw one episode when HIMYM and 2BG were in reruns, and immediately liked it. However, I'm a big HIMYM fan. I watch the CBS Monday block, 8PM-11PM ET. Also, I'm EXTREMELY LEERY of FOX, they've bitten me with cancelleatins of favorites FAR, FAR TOO MANY TIMES.
                              Yes, I'll never forgive them for Firefly. Idiots.

Almost Human is really solid, perhaps give it a look when S1 wraps and just binge the frist season. (Preferably with the director's viewing order intact!)

Comment

Working...
                              X