No announcement yet.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I came here to see if maybe I'd given up on the show too quickly - I don't think I even made it all the way through the first episode. It appears that most of you would say I made a good decision! Is there even one episode that was really good?

Comment

Originally posted by NotSoWize View Post
      I came here to see if maybe I'd given up on the show too quickly - I don't think I even made it all the way through the first episode. It appears that most of you would say I made a good decision! Is there even one episode that was really good?
      Nope, sadly not. I've been trying very hard to find something redeeming, and it’s just not given me any reason to believe it’s worth my time. I mean, it’s fairly light and fun, but I’d have expected far better from Joss and co. (I know he’s not massively involved in the day to day making of the show). It may get better, but man is it taking it’s sweet time. It just feels really cheap and cliched, and there’s so much wasted potential considering it's set in the Marvel Universe.

It’s hard to justify giving it any attention when there are shows that have instantly grabbed me; showls like Almost Human, and even (cough splutter) Arrow fares far better in terms of overall plotting.

I think this latest episode was my cut off point. If it improves greatly at any point I’m sure someone will tell me. As it stands currently, it deserves to be cancelled.
      Last edited by Ubik; 01-09-2014, 04:38 AM.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
        Nope, sadly not. I've been trying very hard to find something redeeming, and it’s just not given me any reason to believe it’s worth my time. I mean, it’s fairly light and fun, but I’d have expected far better from Joss and co. (I know he’s not massively involved in the day to day making of the show). It may get better, but man is it taking it’s sweet time. It just feels really cheap and cliched, and there’s so much wasted potential considering it's set in the Marvel Universe.

It’s hard to justify giving it any attention when there are shows that have instantly grabbed me; showls like Almost Human, and even (cough splutter) Arrow fares far better in terms of overall plotting.

I think this latest episode was my cut off point. If it improves greatly at any point I’m sure someone will tell me. As it stands currently, it deserves to be cancelled.
        I have to completely agree with Ubik on this one. It really just is not an interesting or entertaining show. It is a real waste of potential. I wouldn't say it is terrible, but I think we all know that it should be and could be far better than it is. My guess is that a lot of it has to do with them trying to ride the hype and limit the budget. Anyway, I'll probably keep watching until I get too busy to stay caught up. LOL
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I am I guess rather more forgiving than some of you. It is silly and oddly hackneyed but living in a country where I speak neither of the languages well enough to watch broadcast TV, Netflix and "other means" are the only ways I can watch TV, so sticking with it for now. I liked the view shown of Colson. Just wondering, did anyone see who was playing the Dr, he seemed familiar.
          Phaze
          On the "faffing about on this forum as I saw this guy present already last year" ID
          "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
            Just wondering, did anyone see who was playing the Dr, he seemed familiar.
            It

Comment

It
              oh no! the mysterious IT ate your post (or the NSA sneakily edited it)

Phaze
              on the "I like an air of mystery but this is getting silly" ID
              "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

I'll break the forum induced suspense Phase!

The doctor is played by Ron Glass, who also played Shepherd Book in Firefly. Great to see him on screen again. Makes me yearn for TV SF that was a good as Firefly. AOS just isn't floating my boat.
                Last edited by Ubik; 01-10-2014, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Big long rambling post

I'm thinking they need to kick this into a higher gear. Even I am starting to feel let down, although since this is the only new show in production that I watch I don't really have to worry about scheduling conflicts Tuesdays at 8pm.

I think the whole team reminds me of some kind of experiment/remedial unit, kind of like minor league baseball, when a player needs to recover from injury or needs development to reach full potential. They put them in a futuristic for us but obselete for them plane with agents that all needed some kind of help.
                  May basically exiled herself to a red tape dungeon and had to be coaxed out.
                  Ward was good at his job but wouldn't work as a team member.
                  Fitz and Simmons were lab rats rather than agents.
                  Coulson seems to have brought them all around to a well functioning unit, but then SHEILD might not even be sure about him, so this could be to see how he functions as well, and even more importantly, how their method of resurrecting dead agents will work out.
                  Skye is kind of Coulson's project. I know a lot of people would wonder why he would want her around, I thought of that old addage, keep your friends close and your enemies closer, plus he was impressed with what she could do without them. I think he's pretty much turned her, she seems to be one of his most loyal team members, but loyal to him, not SHEILD.

When I need make an exclamation, can I yell "Great Zombie Coulson!" ?

I thought this was (would have been) a great universe building experiment. The show doesn't have to be that good in of itself, but it can really fill in some things that aren't good enough to be in a movie. Perfect example is the episode with the scientist, Dr Franklin Hall. I found that episode to be ok. I wasn't sorry I watched it, but if I missed it, meh. But what got me excited about it, was that it was the origin story for Graviton!
                  He's a very dangerous villian, but still a C lister. Not of movie value. (That kind of makes this show like the minor leauges of the Marvel CU) That made me willing to put up with a lot of meh if I could see those cool things. Sadly for me, I'm really not seeing as much of those cool things anymore and it's like a team X-files now, without it being as good as X-files. Basically, if Coulson wasn't there, I probably wouldn't watch, or if as some rumors said before the premier, that this wasn't "in universe". So I'm still hoping for cool things like more supervillains and maybe Hawkeye shows up later for something. That looks a lot more pathetic having typed it out.

P.S. I was going to add a laundry list of things I want to see, like more Hydra, but I think this is long enough. Maybe later.
                  Last edited by Marsden; 01-14-2014, 07:40 AM.
                  "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
                  "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

Hard to respect a show where the supposed greatest scientific minds in the 'verse can't even pronounce "von Neumann" correctly. Sloppy.

However, I am comforted that the decorators on that plane bought the same Noritake Colorwave Chocolate dinnerware set we got at Macy's. http://noritakechina.com/16-piece-set-4372.html Someone should give Coulson a heads up that they scratch easily. May want to take that up with Director Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by sarthaz View Post
                      Hard to respect a show where the supposed greatest scientific minds in the 'verse can't even pronounce "von Neumann" correctly. Sloppy.
                      My networking lecturer at university can't even pronounce 'von Neumann' correctly, so I am prepared to forgive a couple of actors.

The Optimist: The glass is half full
                      The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                      The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by sarthaz View Post
                        I wish someone on the AOS creative team would research real world hacking. I'd venture that it's perhaps not a 3D representation of a building, whereby you hit buttons on your keyboard to trigger key systems.

Comment

Strangely enough, I'm still watching this. My thoughts on the latest instalment…

Episode 1.12 - Seeds

This episode felt more level to me, nothing amazing, but overall fairly solid.

Lauren LeFranc & Rafe Judkins penned the script, which flowed nicely. The dialogue felt pretty good on the whole. I’m glad to see that there’s less and less bad imitation of the ‘snappy whedon dialogue’. I find it hard to put into words why, but this to me was far better paced than the mid season finale, which felt somewhat forced in terms of creating a big spectacle. In fact, this episode was far more interesting because Coulson is beginning to deal with the fallout from his recent revelations. We all knew this was coming, and it was hardly a big surprise – but what follows will be of far more value (and interest) if the show’s creators play their cards right. I liked how much the overall plot was progressed by crossing over between A and B plots. Both Skye and Coulson are now coping with devastating news, and it’s the first time I really felt any kind of empathy for Skye’s character. Or, perhaps that her place is becoming clearer within the team.

The A plot was cute, and Fitz and Simmons have gone from me wanting to punch them both in the face repeatedly, to being quite likable characters. And is it me or are they slowly building a gallery of ‘big bad’ type rogues for the future of the show. Not sure who ‘ice boy’ is supposed to be?

I think now that they’ve got Coulson’s ‘big reveal’ is out of the way there’s more to expand upon, and things can hopefully move forward at a greater pace. There’s obviously going to be some kind of ‘bad apple’ at the heart of SHIELD, and the sandbox to me seems like it could acquire a more sinister side that’s only been hinted at thus far.

So, I’m still pretty ‘meh’ about this show, but I’ll at least give it till the end of the first season to see where it goes. Expect me to continue to grumble along the way.

Comment

grumble in a sort of good natured, retired British army colonel sort of way, or grumble in an active volcano going to explode sort of way?

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
                              grumble in a sort of good natured, retired British army colonel sort of way, or grumble in an active volcano going to explode sort of way?
                              Probably more like the retired British army colonel. Agents of Shield has been far too 'middle of the road' to get my blood boiling.

Comment

Not sure who ‘ice boy’ is supposed to be?
                                He's Blizzard

And that guy from the first episode is Deathlok, which I'm a little embarassed that I didn't realize that until I read it.

The only British Colonels I know of usually step into things in the middle and start shouting it's too silly and stop this whole business.

Ubik, if I might ask, did you read any of the Marvel Comics? I don't want to sound like a big nasty comic geek, but you haven't recognized some basic stuff, like SHIELD had flying cars since the 60s, so I'm wondering if that's why you aren't as invested as I am. However, I must admit, you would certainly be more indicitive of the general veiwing population and not knowing these C listers is normal for most people. That's why I'm asking, not trying to be a Sheldon.
                                "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
                                "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

Working...
                                X