Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well I watched episode two. I didn't know about
    the bit at the end with Samuel L Jackson, absolutely loved it. I am going to bed now rather than consuming episode three like a hungry wabbit.

I am happy with light hearted romp and I like the scottish accent frankly although I am ill at present, perhaps my judgement has been compramised?

I will get back to ye with my thoughts on episode three on Sunday.
    Phaze
    on the "Impared judgement notwithstanding, it is holding my attention, perhaps I am more forgiving and less ritical since moving here" ID
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

I don't actively dislike this show, but the problem with Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., beyond its ridiculous title, is that it's not a Joss Whedon show. Sure, he directed the first episode and "co-wrote" it, so the network could promote it as the next big Joss Whedon project, but it's even less a Joss show than Lost was a J.J. Abrahms show. S.H.I.E.L.D. is a Jed Whedon/Maurissa Tancharoen show, and while I'm sure they are fine people, they're not Joss. He's a unique talent, and you can't just imitate him -- which, make no mistake, is what they're doing with this show. It's trying to be a Joss show, but it isn't, and Jed/Maurissa don't appear to have found (or even have) their own voice. Dollhouse had similar problems, although to less a degree, because Joss was a little more involved. It's why the dialogue isn't as crisp and the chemistry is limp. There's a reason Buffy turned to crap when Marti Noxon took over, and it's not that Noxon's a bad writer -- she's just not Joss. Imagine JMS "creating" a show and then spending all of his time on a blockbuster movie while Larry DiTillio and his wife ran the show. That's what you have here, and while it's perfectly mediocre, that's all it's going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by sarthaz View Post
        I don't actively dislike this show, but the problem with Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., beyond its ridiculous title, is that it's not a Joss Whedon show. Sure, he directed the first episode and "co-wrote" it, so the network could promote it as the next big Joss Whedon project, but it's even less a Joss show than Lost was a J.J. Abrahms show. S.H.I.E.L.D. is a Jed Whedon/Maurissa Tancharoen show, and while I'm sure they are fine people, they're not Joss. He's a unique talent, and you can't just imitate him -- which, make no mistake, is what they're doing with this show. It's trying to be a Joss show, but it isn't, and Jed/Maurissa don't appear to have found (or even have) their own voice. Dollhouse had similar problems, although to less a degree, because Joss was a little more involved. It's why the dialogue isn't as crisp and the chemistry is limp. There's a reason Buffy turned to crap when Marti Noxon took over, and it's not that Noxon's a bad writer -- she's just not Joss. Imagine JMS "creating" a show and then spending all of his time on a blockbuster movie while Larry DiTillio and his wife ran the show. That's what you have here, and while it's perfectly mediocre, that's all it's going to be.
        You just summed it up perfectly! It shouldn't really have been sold as a Joss Whedon show.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Okay, so I (slightly begrudgingly) watched episode 4. It seemed like a *slight* improvement on the previous three. The actors seem to be finding their groove a bit, even though the dialogue (to me) is still a bit off.

What I did like is that we are seeing some more set up for a big bad. Perhaps Hydra?

I’m still a bit on the fence about the characters. I like Melinda, and hope we’ll see her character explored more. As per usual with Whedon shows, the supporting cast interests me more than the lead. Chloe may come into her own, but right now see feels a bit like a goofy Buffy or Echo. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a ‘wham’ episode later on down the line that will seriously change up the status quo.

I’ll stick with it for now....

Comment

I guess I agree with Ubik. I am still watching. I don't love it, but I am still watching.
            Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I'll keep this spoiler free, but I thought Episode 5 gradually ramped things up nicely. This is the first episode that had my interest, especially in the concluding 5-10 minutes. There were some nice dynamics, and more difficult moments, between characters. This was a cut above what we've seen so far.

Good to see some more plausible motivations for key characters.

Agents is still not rocking my world, but this episode definitely made me more likely to continue watching.

Comment

I enjoyed the episode more than the last. However, I do think it suffered from Chloe Bennet's lack of range. Her big scene near the end of the episode was really awkward and unconvincing. Ruth Negga, on the other hand, was absolutely chilling in her flower dress.

Also, I know it's TV and isn't supposed to be taken too seriously, but all the "hacker" stuff is so silly that it's incredibly difficult to stay engaged. I find it easier to accept there's a Hellmouth nearby with vampires oozing forth than to grasp how these "hackers" can tap-tap-tap on a generic tablet for 3 seconds and immediately break into or completely reconfigure ANYTHING at the drop of a hat. The scene where the other hacker guy was redirecting the blast was beyond ridiculous. Creating a fireball in the palm of your hand is child's play next to the superpowers exhibited by the hackers.

Comment

Originally posted by sarthaz View Post
                  I find it easier to accept there's a Hellmouth nearby with vampires oozing forth than to grasp how these "hackers" can tap-tap-tap on a generic tablet for 3 seconds and immediately break into or completely reconfigure ANYTHING at the drop of a hat. The scene where the other hacker guy was redirecting the blast was beyond ridiculous. Creating a fireball in the palm of your hand is child's play next to the superpowers exhibited by the hackers.
                  Agreed. The show isn't really big on realism! They must be magical hackers...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Comment

Anyone still watching? Just watched Episode 6 'F.Z.Z.T'...

I think the show is gradually improving. This episode had more real 'meat' to it and portrayed Fitz and Simmons in a more interesting light. I'd even go as far as to say I enjoyed it!

So, I'll stick with it.

On a side note - intrigued by the deal Marvel have just inked with Netflix for a Daredevil series and more! The Jessica Jones series also has my interest. ALIAS (not the Abrams thing!) is one of my fav Marvel Superhero comics, precisely because it deviates from the template. It would make an amazing series.

Comment

I watched "fzzt" tonight, quite enjoyed it.

I was wondering if they would take the brave route and actually kill off a main character. IF Joss was still involved I would have said yes, but alas, these things happen

Still it were fun.
                      Phaze
                      on the "passed swedish yay, failed spec methods, boo, another exam tomorrow, eek" ID
                      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

I wondered the same thing, but it seems too early on in the game for something THAT drastic. Especially before we've formed any real emotional ties to the characters.

I'm warming to Fitz and Simmonds, and I HATED them in the first few epiosides. I guess they're meant to child like, geeky and, given their education, from relatively priviledged backgrounds.

Comment

I can't believe they actually tied this past week's episode to Thor (I think very loosely), but I still had to see Thor first. I just did and at first I thought it was meh, but now that I have thought about it for a little while I have come to the conclusion that it was bad. (I am just going to put my thoughts about it here because it doesn't deserve its own thread.)

It had a lot of good humor, but (obviously to avoid larger salary burdens) there are very few ties to the Avengers and even S.H.I.E.L.D. for that matter. The cast was good, but there were several plot flaws that really made me mad.

Two examples:
                          - The Loki faux death scene. How could Loki have possibly known Kurse was going to put the spear through him in order to fake his own death?!?!?!?!?!?! If Loki was an illusion then how did he spear Kurse? If Loki was real then how did he survive impalement so easily? And I'll never go for the idea that he magically healed himself.

- Why would they give the Aether Power Stone to the collector? That really bothered me because, like many aspects of this movie, it is too obvious a setup for sequels and problems down the road. When I watch a movie I don't want to be reminded I'm watching a structured story that has pieces being setup to tell me another story later on; especially when those pieces make absolutely no sense. "He we've got this super powerful object. It is too dangerous to keep two of these so close together so let's give one to this guy. I am sure we can trust him." WHAT?!?!?!?!?! WHAT?!?!?!?!?! WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

So yeah, the more I think about it the less I liked Thor: The Dark World.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                            I can't believe they actually tied this past week's episode to Thor (I think very loosely).
                            Good marketing ploy wasn't it! The ties to Thor were so loose, that seeing the film really didn't add anything. However, I do like that they are acknowedging larger events in the Marvel film universe though. I honestly thought it was one of the better episodes so far. The humour seemed more 'on the money' and the dialogue is getting a lot smoother. I liked how they used little flashbacks to further flesh out the characters. I also smiled a lot at the Dollhouse reference in Coulson's post credits scene. The LMD thing will definitely be coming to a head soon.

The script came courtesy of Monica Owusu-Breen, who wrote some episodes of Fringe and Jonathan Frakes directed. Seemed like a good combo to me.

Looney, what did you think of the episode?

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                            So yeah, the more I think about it the less I liked Thor: The Dark World.
                            I enjoyed Thor - The Dark World, but purely on a 'big dumb hollywood film' level. I don't go to see Marvel films because I want to engage my brain, I go for a bit of mindless fun. I tend not to overthink these things - really not worth it! If I want to think I'll watch Herzog or Tarkovsky films.
                            Last edited by Ubik; 11-27-2013, 01:33 AM.

Comment

I thought the episode was okay.

I loved the part where Ward basically pointed out that all Skye does is talk and talk and talk, which is very true and a large part of why I find her character annoying. It seems like most of the time she is just there to look pretty and keep delivering questioning dialogue. But in this episode I just hated her. I hated that they made her the, "I'm here if you want to talk" person because it sounds completely fake coming out of her mouth. It felt more like she was the annoying person who just wants to know the truth to satisfy her own selfish needs.

I found the May/Ward thing to be weird, but I don't think it is meant to be a hook-up of any kind. They want people to think it and they'll probably start the next episode with Skye catching him coming out of May's room, but I am sure it was more like old warriors unwinding together. I hate the soap opera garbage.

Anyway back to Thor for a second. I heard a compelling argument for what might have been behind them giving the stone to The Collector. They were ordered to by Loki posing as Odin. It would have made more sense had they shown that instead of having me think Sif and Volstagg are idiots. But that is a compelling argument and I hope that is explained at some point later, perhaps in Guardians of The Galaxy.

Comment

I watched "Repairs" last night, and I'm finally starting to warm to the show. The episode just felt solid. It was a good 'stand alone episode', and reminded me a bit of the modern incarnation of The Twilight Zone. Best of all, I feel the characters are beginning to come into their own. It just all feels a bit less clunky, and I'm starting to get some of that 'ship show' family feel that Firefly had from the outset.

Maurissa Tancharoen & Jed Whedon's script was a massive improvement on their first two episodes. None of that clunky dialogue, with the forced Whedon style quips. If this upward trend continues, I'm definitely on board for more.

Comment

Working...
                                X