No announcement yet.

The General Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, that kind of sucks. My theater very seldom puts tix on sale super early. And I avoid opening days like the plague!! Even Downton, I'm waiting until Sunday. And my favorite seat has a blank space next to it so even if the theater fills up I won't get too claustrophobic. I still always get there early but now I don't have to add a half hour on top of that to get my favorite seat.
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

• Well my problems are solved. I mentioned my concerns to one of the employees and asked if there was a set time tickets went on sale for movies they were getting. She said no, but then asked for my number and said she would text me when she knew. You gotta love being a regular customer.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Originally posted by Looney View Post
        Well my problems are solved. I mentioned my concerns to one of the employees and asked if there was a set time tickets went on sale for movies they were getting. She said no, but then asked for my number and said she would text me when she knew. You gotta love being a regular customer.
        Wow, nice! Definitely a perk, there!
        "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

• DOWNTON ABBEY = FANTASTIC!!!!! I LOVED EVERY MINUTE!!!!! I honestly can't believe how good it was. I'm not saying it is a classic for the ages, but it was a GREAT return to the series. I mean if you are a fan turn your expectations WAY down and ignore everything I said before this because I want you to be pleasantly surprised. LOL

Comment

• Just saw it today and enjoyed it a lot, too. It was nice to see old friends again. Would love to see this make lots of money so maybe they could revisit it from time to time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
              Just saw it today and enjoyed it a lot, too. It was nice to see old friends again. Would love to see this make lots of money so maybe they could revisit it from time to time.
              I wish. $31million US. Not bad and record setting for Focus Features, but I don't know if it will be enough to get more. I hope so. I was really crossing my fingers that it would make upwards of something like $70million, but then I remembered that while the show might have legions of fans those fans likely include MANY who don't go to movie theaters for any reason.

Comment

I wish. $31million US. Not bad and record setting for Focus Features, but I don't know if it will be enough to get more. I hope so.
                IMDb doesn't seem to have up-to-date figures yet but remember that it opened in the UK at least a week before the US. Any idea what the budget was?

Comment

• Box office figures have been updated. World gross is $72,233,665 so far. I'm reading that it pre-sold more tickets than any other drama so far this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post

Any idea what the budget was?
                    Yeah I get my updated figures from IMDB and they are not showing it, at least not to people without IMDBPRO.

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    Box office figures have been updated. World gross is $72,233,665 so far. I'm reading that it pre-sold more tickets than any other drama so far this year.
                    Yes it did very well for a drama, but I can't imagine the budget was low. I'm sure none of the command huge salaries, but there are MANY of them. Couple that with what is obviously a very elaborate production and my fingers are crossed we get more.

Comment

Yeah I get my updated figures from IMDB and they are not showing it, at least not to people without IMDBPRO.
                      I've got Pro and I'm not seeing it.

Comment

• Saw JOKER (2019) Thursday night. It was exactly what I expected and I didn't care for it at all. The sad thing is they possibly could have done something more interesting with the subject matter, but they didn't. My main reasoning is that Todd Phillips should have handed the directing reigns to someone else. The only interesting thing about the movie was imagining them trying to fit a Batman into this Universe. All press says they are not going to try, but I think a ninety three million dollar opening weekend might change their minds. Of course, this Joker would be no match for any incarnation of Batman.

Comment

• TERMINATOR DARK FATE (2019) - I definitely enjoyed it more than any Terminator film since T2, but that still doesn't mean I thought it was great. The biggest downfall of this movie for me is that they left WAY to much to be explained by a sequel - that is clearly never coming after this movie bombed at the box office. And I believe that bomb exploded worldwide. The shame of it is they really set this one up for multiple sequels, but maybe it is just time to let this franchise end.

Comment

• I loved it, yes it was silly, yes it had no discernable plot bit I dodn't CAre, it was fun, linda hamilton is a pensioner aged bad ass with a "i am so tired of this shit" attutude. Arnie is genuinely funny. Remove brain, see movie.
                            End of.
                            "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

• KNIVES OUT (2019)

Better than THE LAST JEDI (2017) LOL

Okay so I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with this movie, but only because I had different expectations. I was hoping it would be something along the lines of CLUE (1985) or MURDER BY DEATH (1976) and it was DEFINITELY NOT. I can't say it was bad by any means. I am sure many people will enjoy it. Had I not expected it to be something slightly different than it actually was I would have enjoyed it much more. I recommend people see it once and judging for themselves. I will say for a movie primarily listed as COMEDY on IMDB it is not as funny as I hoped. Also, it is WAY too long. It did not need to be 2+hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X