• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    Snowpiercer (2014)
    Oh yeah I left that one off my list. I enjoyed it. I would love to see a sequel, or maybe read where the story goes from there. I don't know if they could make a sequel that would be as visually interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Good things I have seen recently:

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)
    Snowpiercer (2014)
    Hausu (1977)

All rather wonderful... I'll provide more info tomorrow...

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    THE NOVEMBER MAN (2014) - Well I can say that I enjoyed this movie, but I wouldn't say it is a big winner. The story is a bit predictable, but done fairly well. I didn't care for Luke Bracey. There just didn't seem to be much depth or substance to his character or his performance. This thiller definitely would have worked better if it had been a bit longer and was able to establish more of the characters and story. There were a couple of scenes that just kind of abruptly ended and they moved on with little explanation. One of the best parts of the movie was that it really featured Bill Smitrovich. You definitely know him from a million other things. I wouldn't say this is a bad movie; it just falls into the category of could have been soooo much better. If I were Siskel and Ebert I would give it a 'Thumbs half way up from being halfway up or down.'

JOHNNY ENGLISH (2003) - I did laugh often, but by the end I was a bit annoyed with the plot. I know that is a funny thing to say about this type of movie, but it just seemed to drag on toward an easily predictable conclusion, so it became annoying. I wouldn't say it is a bad movie. It is what it is. A fun movie with Rowan Atkinson making me laugh often.

JOHNNY ENGLISH REBORN (2011) - Better than the original. I wouldn't say it is great, but I enjoyed watching it a bit more than the original. I loved the beginning. I thought it really setup the plot a little better than the original setup the plot. It is still just a fun popcorn movie too watch when you have nothing better to do.

KICK-ASS 2 (2013) - WOW! I can't believe how this is basically two movies. A decent movie that follows Mindy/Hit-Girl and a lost in the woods movie that follows Dave/Kick-Ass and, lost to a lesser extent, Chris/The Mother *$#^%#. Mindy is searching for her identity as are Dave and Chris. Unfortunately it seemed like the writers forgot everything Dave learned in the first movie. They seemed to write him as if he hadn't gone through the horrible experience he would have gone through in the first movie. And the Chris stuff just seemed inconsistent. Anyway, I was greatly disappointed with the movie as a whole. It really seemed like there were two scripts here and they just threw them together to see what happened.

COTTAGE COUNTRY (2013) - Love the cast; was greatly disappointed with the movie. It just didn't work for me.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by phazedout View Post
    Despicable Me 2
    Oh yeah I meant to see that. Thanks for reminding me phazedout.

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    Despicable Me 2: I knew it was out but I had not had a chance to see it, loved it! I can see why they are making a minion movie, those little yellow blobs are great. nder normal circumstances as I watch something on tv I am faffing about oneline, having facebook chats, in IRC channels etc etc, not during this movie, I remained glued to it the entire time it was on. For something to take my entire focus is pretty rare, unless it has subtitles, kinda hard to look away from the screen then or you miss important plot points.

How to train your dragon: I usually go to the cinema on my birthday, as going there (ticket, popcorn, drink) cost roughly 2/3 of my weekly shopping budget (hey I am a student, I chop cheap) It is a rare, usuallly once a quarter experince. I looked at what was on and HTTYD2 was the only film I felt motivated to see but I had not seem the first one, so I checked it out and got an overhwelming sense of.. meh. It took almost hal the running time before I focused my full attention on it, while it had its moments I was just, disinterested

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Looney View Post
    That is why I learned long ago to try to avoid finding out too much about celebrities personal lives. I mean I guess it is a good thing to know their political views if they are writing the material because you might want to know what message they are trying to get across, but I learned in most cases you're better off not knowing too much about the person behind the curtain making the magic. Plus it is also fun finding out if you're good enough to spot those subversive messages without knowing their political agenda. Of course now that I know there might be one I have to think about what Miller was trying to say in that poorly made sequel.
    It's not so much Miller's personal life, it's his recent work. Anyone who's laid eyes on 'Holy Terror' knows he REALLY lost it.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Frank Miller has, in the past done some great work in comics. But I struggle with his current political views, and Frank Miller is all well and good until you realise he's NOT JOKING.
    That is why I learned long ago to try to avoid finding out too much about celebrities personal lives. I mean I guess it is a good thing to know their political views if they are writing the material because you might want to know what message they are trying to get across, but I learned in most cases you're better off not knowing too much about the person behind the curtain making the magic. Plus it is also fun finding out if you're good enough to spot those subversive messages without knowing their political agenda. Of course now that I know there might be one I have to think about what Miller was trying to say in that poorly made sequel.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Marsden View Post
    Last movie I went to see was Captain America and The Winter Soldier. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially getting to see Falcon and Cap together and in action. I really couldn't think of anything to complain about, but I'm going to be picking up the dvd soon, I'll let you know if I catch something on repeated viewings.
    That was one SOLID superhero film. Very consistent, butkinda wish I hadn't seen the AOS episodes before it though. Stupid TV... took some of the surprise away.

Leave a comment:

• Marsden
    replied
    But I struggle with his current political views, and Frank Miller is all well and good until you realise he's NOT JOKING. Won't bother with this until it hits the net, thanks for the heads up
    If I cared about peoples political views, I might not be able to watch anything.

Of course, I've heard he's crazy, so... There's that.

Last movie I went to see was Captain America and The Winter Soldier. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially getting to see Falcon and Cap together and in action. I really couldn't think of anything to complain about, but I'm going to be picking up the dvd soon, I'll let you know if I catch something on repeated viewings.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied

SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR (2014) - So this is what fans waited nine years to see, WOW! I won't say this is not an entertaining film because it does have its moments, but it also seems like a very poor effort. If you are a fan of the first film and you want to see this one, then I recommend not watching the first film right before you see it. I also recommend that you not pay too close attention or you’ll see some huge mistakes connecting this one to the first one.
    You know, I was considering seeing this, but figured I'd save my money. Frank Miller has, in the past done some great work in comics. But I struggle with his current political views, and Frank Miller is all well and good until you realise he's NOT JOKING. Won't bother with this until it hits the net, thanks for the heads up

IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS (1995) Visually speaking this might be one of my favorite Carpenter films. Oddly enough that wasn’t enough to keep me interested. I don’t know if I am getting old or if I was just in a mood, but after half an hour I was incredibly bored and started to fast forward to see what happens. This greatly saddens me because I think it might be a decent movie and I wish I could have given it more attention.
    I'm not too keen on later day Carpenter film, with the exception of the masterful 'Assault on Precinct 13' (best zombie film with no zombies, that DIDN'T need a freaking re-make). Unfortunately, most of his post 90s material is lamentably bad.
    Last edited by Ubik; 08-29-2014, 05:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Revived!

So I thought I would revive this old thread with a smattering of movies I’ve watched recently.

Well I guess I should start with the movie last mentioned in the thread . . .

RIDDICK (2013) - I liked this movie well enough and I think it is a good sequel to Pitch Black (2000). I feel it was a decent attempt to revive the franchise after the utterly disappointing Chronicles of Riddick (2004). My only problem with it might be that it was a little too close to Pitch Black (2000). The plot really seemed too close to a retelling of that story. It was still pretty entertaining and I enjoyed it.

ZERO CHARISMA (2013) - This movie could have been fun, but the filmmakers decided to make it a dark comedy/drama. It had many funny moments, but in the end I just found it to be depressing. I will say that I can see a point in not making it a comedy. I think making it comedy would play to the stigma that these types of people are meant to be laughed at and since I am kind of like these people I wouldn’t want that. I guess my point is if this were a comedy it would have been great for a person like me to see because I am somewhat in the club, but for the general viewing public making it a comedy might have reinforced stigmas for why people might marginalize this segment of society that I consider myself to be a part of. Really making it a dark comedy/drama does the same thing, but at least it doesn’t make it seem that the filmmakers are trying to marginalize them.

EXPENDABLES 3 (2014) - So the latest installment of the ultra-violent Man-Fest has arrived. All three movies have had their issues, but all of them have had some fun too. The oddest issue for Expendables 3, in my humble opinion, is that the first half is really not done well. The script seems very weak. Things pick up a little after Kelsey Grammer is introduced and then it is like a different writer wrote the second half of the movie, especially the climax. All and all I would say that if you have seen and enjoyed the previous films then you will likely enjoy this one as well, especially after the first fifty minutes or so.

SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR (2014) - So this is what fans waited nine years to see, WOW! I won’t say this is not an entertaining film because it does have its moments, but it also seems like a very poor effort. If you are a fan of the first film and you want to see this one, then I recommend not watching the first film right before you see it. I also recommend that you not pay too close attention or you’ll see some huge mistakes connecting this one to the first one.

LET’S BE COPS (2014) I was pretty disappointed with this one. It was funny, but it just seems like they tried to do too much and it went on too long.

IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS (1995) Visually speaking this might be one of my favorite Carpenter films. Oddly enough that wasn’t enough to keep me interested. I don’t know if I am getting old or if I was just in a mood, but after half an hour I was incredibly bored and started to fast forward to see what happens. This greatly saddens me because I think it might be a decent movie and I wish I could have given it more attention.

SABOTAGE (2014) I was intrigued by this film at first, but lost interest as it went along. It seems to have a decent mystery thriller at its core, but it loses its way. I found out why when I watched the deleted scenes on the DVD. This film was clearly made with the intention of having different ways it could end and different plot lines that could be included or excluded. This is not uncommon, but I think it hurt this film. When doing a mystery having multiple outcomes in mind can distort the flow of where things are headed. And here is a huge spoiler,
    if you’re going to cast an Academy Award Nominated Actor in a supporting role then you should probably give him more than five lines in the first hour of the movie so it isn’t obvious he is going to be one of the villains.
    If you want to see a movie with a lot of very graphic violence and a decent mystery you might find this enjoyable, but you will also likely find it flawed as I did, chiefly because I think it could have been really good.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Riddick

If anyone is planning to see Riddick please let me know how it is. I love Pitch Black, but I hate The Chronicles of Riddick, so I am very curious about this one. I have no intention of seeing it unless someone here has a sparkling recommendation.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Just saw some sad news. The wonderful Julie Harris has passed away at 87.
    Sad. Anybody else getting annoyed by the inevitable "Here's who else has died this year" links that accompany every obituary lately?

Anybody else gone to see "The Butler" yet? It was the first movie I've seen this year that made me feel anything for any of the characters. I recommend it.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Love those too. I need to pick up Neighbors on DVD sometime.

Just saw some sad news. The wonderful Julie Harris has passed away at 87.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ar-dies-613932
    Last edited by Looney; 08-24-2013, 07:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DaveNarn
    replied
    The Burbs (1989) - I love this movie so much and I always have, "About a nine on the old tension scale there Rube."
    Loved The Burbs too.

The '81 movie 'Neighbors' with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd is another classic.

...and can't forget 'Raising Arizona'

Leave a comment:

Working...
X