No announcement yet.

The General Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this some kind of joke?! I mention the two films that will define a generation and not ONE comment?!?!?!?!?!

Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

You comment on my thread, I'll comment on yours....
      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
        You comment on my thread, I'll comment on yours....
        And I normally comment on your both threats.
        B5-Stefan

Oh well. Today it's becoming hot again...

--
        Sinclair: "Get out of my head! You want to talk to me, talk to me!"
        Bester: "Apologies, Commander. It saves considerable time."
        [Babylon5, Mind War]

Comment

Okay two trips to two different theaters in the last 3 days. (And I may have said this before, but for those of you who cringe when I do that - plays are in Theatres. Movies are in Theaters. )

STUBER (2019)

I enjoyed it. By no means brilliant, but I like the two leads and it was a bit of mindless utterly predictable and unoriginal fun. That is exactly how you have to look at it going in. There is a formula for entertainment that got this movie made. Kumail Nanjiani and Dave Bautista got their shot at the formula and didn't disappoint me.

CRAWL (2019)

I had the opposite reaction to this film. Same formulaic trope, but I did not enjoy it - but was I supposed to? The movie is called CRAWL after all and I did spend most of my time wanting to "CRAWL" out of the theater. Is it a bad movie? I guess not. It did its job of providing scares and discomfort. A lot of the logic was ridiculous, but you don't go to a movie like this for logic. You go to a movie like this for exactly what this movie provided. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised that it was definitely not as gory as I expected it to be. It is plenty gory, but anyone who has seen projects Sam Raimi has been involved with knows they usually focus on being as gory as possible and this wasn't. There is PLENTY of GORE! Don't misread what I am saying. All I am saying is it wasn't quite SAM RAIMI LEVEL GORE.

Final note is that once again a movie like CRAWL shows us that there is absolutely NO reason to ever want to live in Florida. Right Jan?!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post

Loved The Burbs too.

The '81 movie 'Neighbors' with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd is another classic.

...and can't forget 'Raising Arizona'
            Sorry I got distracted away from this thread. Yes I love both of those as well, especially RAISING ARIZONA (1987). It might be my favorite Coen Brother's film. I love THE BIG LEBOWSKI (1998) and FARGO (1996), but there is something about RAISING ARIZONA (1987) that just gives it this other worldly special uniqueness. The others are special and unique as well, but RAISING ARIZONA (1987) just gets me in a different way.

Other Coen Brother's Movies I love:

CRIMEWAVE (1985)
            MILLER'S CROSSING (1990)
            BARTON FINK (1991)
            O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? (2000)
            And an Honorable Mention to HAIL, CAESAR (2016)

Of course they have other work I would say is good, but not that I "love". And if you decide to watch any of the above listed titles know going in that there is a HIGH probability you will not enjoy all of them. The Coen Brothers don't make movies everyone will enjoy, hence the absence of several titles they have produced that I do not enjoy.

Comment

I recently watched the new TOMB RAIDER with Alicia Vikander. Surprisingly good. As long as you do not expect anything profound, but some good tomb raidery action.

Speaking of the Coen brothers O Brother, Fargo, Big L and Hail Ceasar are great movies. Unfortunately I have not seen the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                I recently watched the new TOMB RAIDER with Alicia Vikander. Surprisingly good. As long as you do not expect anything profound, but some good tomb raidery action.

Speaking of the Coen brothers O Brother, Fargo, Big L and Hail Ceasar are great movies. Unfortunately I have not seen the others.
                I was a little disappointed in TOMB RAIDER, but I REALLY wanted it to be awesome and I thought it was just okay.

You NEED to see RAISING ARIZONA (1987) immediately and put it into context that it come a 10 years prior to THE BIG LEBOWSKI (1998). CRIMEWAVE (1985) is an odd treat. If you like "odd" treats then I recommend it.

Here is a review a friend did.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post

You NEED to see RAISING ARIZONA (1987) immediately and put it into context that it come a 10 years prior to THE BIG LEBOWSKI (1998). CRIMEWAVE (1985) is an odd treat. If you like "odd" treats then I recommend it.

Oh, I just realized I've seen RAISING ARIZONA. That is a good one indeed. I was just temporarily confused as the Swedish title is Arizona Junior for some strange reason.

Comment

I've got my ticket to DOWNTON ABBEY already.
                    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      I've got my ticket to DOWNTON ABBEY already.
                      SAME HERE!!!!!

My mom was supposed to come up from Texas to go with me and a group, but she has already backed out and stiffed me with the ticket. ..... (LOL like I am going to have trouble finding someone who wants to go sit in the best seats in the house - it is reserved seating. LOL )

Comment

• Originally posted by Looney View Post
                        it is reserved seating. LOL )
                        LOVE reserved seating!! It's almost enough to make me resigned to having to pay a 'convenience fee' to buy my ticket online, print it at home and save them the money of having an actual employee sell me a ticket. Not quite, though...

"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

LOVE reserved seating!! It's almost enough to make me resigned to having to pay a 'convenience fee' to buy my ticket online, print it at home and save them the money of having an actual employee sell me a ticket. Not quite, though...
                          I do not love it. It means you can no longer just decide to go to a movie. You have to buy in advance or risk wasting a trip to the theater or being stuck with a terrible seat, thereby wasting a trip to the theater. It is a terrible idea for the small town I live in and on a personal level has been a big inconvenience. My friends and I regularly attend movies and now we have to schedule when we can go weeks in advance. It is quite annoying. Because of our schedules we usually end up at the theater quite early and have regular seats we sit in. Now we have to make special trips to the theater to get those seats well in advance. Our local theater is part of a small 3 theater chain and while I do believe they have online reserve purchasing I think I've heard it is highly unreliable.

Comment

• I love reserved seating, in fact (possibly becuase finnkino has a virtual monopoly here) I can reserve seats without paying for themn, then we get to to decide if we want those seats up to 4 hours before the movie starts (for very popoeular stuff liek IMAX showing of infinity war, it was 5 days beforehand we had to commit) but with me in Turkuy and Essi in helsinki it's very handy for us. When Iw as a student I'd just as my kiwi friends say "rock up" to the cinema at the cheapest possible time, also when I had an unlimited card for a cinema that was (I checked when i dropped my wallett there once) a literal six minute walk fomr my house, i'd also randomly book things. Sorry looney, I must respectfully disagree.
                            "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

• I have to disagree, too. I almost never book any earlier than the night before for a movie and don't have any trouble getting the seat I want. Granted, I *prefer* the earlier show times just for ease of parking and fewer phone-fidgeters but I don't think all spontenaity has been ruined.

Comment

I have to disagree, too. I almost never book any earlier than the night before for a movie and don't have any trouble getting the seat I want. Granted, I *prefer* the earlier show times just for ease of parking and fewer phone-fidgeters but I don't think all spontenaity has been ruined.
                                It has been ruined for people who don't have the luxury of being able to go to earlier and less crowded shows. And my guess is I go to movies more often than most, so my situation is different. Plus I try to go to big movies on opening night, If I don't have the ability to be at the theater when the tickets go on sale I will likely end up with a bad seat or no seat at all. That also means I have to know the instant they go on sale and it has to be a time I am close to the theater and not at work. (The nearest theater is 20miles away.)

Comment

Working...
                                X