No announcement yet.

The General Movie Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with the comments that Aliens was a really great Alien sequel. It still remains as my all time favorite Sci Fi Horror Film.

This reminds me, I need to watch it again (lol).

A quick question for those Aliens fans:

With the extended version readily available, do people think the added scenes add to the story or slow the movie down in any way. Personally I like the extended version better. A good example is the scene where it shows the thriving colony before the arrival of the colonial marines.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
      Villeneuve is literally my least favourite director; I'd rather see Blade Runner as made by Uwe Boll. I'm sure it'll be visually stunning, agonizingly slow, and intellectually hollow, much like every movie he's gotten praised for. Gah.

I wish some stories would just be left alone. Blade Runner was fine as it was. I'd be all in favour of a good Alien sequel - that's a story that lends itself to expansion - but nobody apart from James Cameron seems to know how to do it.

Actually, somebody get JMS to write an Alien sequel...
      I thought Arrival was beautifully made. One of the better SF features of the past years that wasn't a half arsed sequel, prequel or reboot.
      Last edited by Ubik; 06-13-2017, 07:28 AM.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
        With the extended version readily available, do people think the added scenes add to the story or slow the movie down in any way. Personally I like the extended version better. A good example is the scene where it shows the thriving colony before the arrival of the colonial marines.
        I think the extended version is better. More texture, more flavour. The new scenes are good. Not that the original is bad in any way.
        Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

I haven't seen the entire extended cut, but I have seen some clips. One thing I like about the theatrical version is that the audience has the same level of knowledge that the arriving marines do. So, you're piecing together what happened to the colony at the same time the characters are.

Comment

I think many of the added scenes takes away some of the tension in the original. I really like the fact that we know nothing until the marines arrive. The automatic sentry-guns scene especially. That one had been much better from the marines perspective as well. Something like:

Ripley and the marines in the main room.
            A control panel,maybe with a view screen, and the marines talking over it:
            Bishop: No 1 is registering movement.
            Hicks: 'Bout time.
            *blamblamblam* (ammo counter sinking)
            Vasquez: Ha, got you sucker!
            Hicks: Wait, more movement at the other one ...
            *blamblamblam* (ammo counter sinking)
            Vasquez: Ha, we got the other ones as well! Our work here is done.
            *blamblamblamblamblam on and on* (ammocounters turns to zero)
            Ripley: What just happened?
            Hicks: Both sentries ran out of ammo ...
            (exchanging silent looks).
            Hudson: We're f****d.

Comment

Okay bringing back this old thread to mention BRIGHTBURN (2019) because it really doesn't deserve its own thread, but maybe some folks want to talk about it. This is a bit of a SPOILER, but there is a key point people should know - there is excessive gore in this film that is done with realism and cruelty. I don't mind excessive gore when it is done in a way that makes it almost fun and not particularly believable. Movie gore you know is movie gore. This movie doesn't have that.

Subjective Review - The excessive gore pretty much ruined it for me.

Objective Review - The excessive gore did not make it a bad movie. It is not the strongest movie ever and the excessive gore is awful, but as far as I could tell the excessive gore was only done once without purpose. The other instances were done with purpose to the structure of the film. Only one time was it done with no meaning and prolonged only for exploitative shock value. I mean there were other instances that were excessively long, but for reasons that fed the plot of the film.

So now I put that out there. I felt I had to say something because I know the subject matter might have some of our group here intrigued and I wanted to warn them about what they are in for if they decide to see this movie.
              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I watched 'High Life' recently, very good realist SF with some art house stylings. Quite bleak at times, reminds me a bit of Solaris but perhaps not quite as impressionistic or slow moving.

https://youtu.be/AtOwfo1ypOw

Robert Pattinson absolutely shakes off his sparkly vampire past here. Really strong performance with a lot of nuance. Then again, he's done a lot of smaller more intelligent films since then. Recommended.
                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                  I watched 'High Life' recently, very good realist SF with some art house stylings. Quite bleak at times, reminds me a bit of Solaris but perhaps not quite as impressionistic or slow moving.

https://youtu.be/AtOwfo1ypOw

Robert Pattinson absolutely shakes off his sparkly vampire past here. Really strong performance with a lot of nuance. Then again, he's done a lot of smaller more intelligent films since then. Recommended.
                  Yeah I definitely agree. I think he has shaken TWILIGHT better Stewart, but I think he is likely more talented.

I watched MY DINNER WITH HERVE (2018) last night. WOW! There are some great performances in that movie. I actually just happened to spot it on the shelf at my local VIDEO STORE - yes we still have one. I saw Peter Dinklage was in it and grabbed it immediately. I was NOT disappointed. He was amazing. I am shocked I haven't heard more about this movie. I am guessing it is because it was made for HBO and honestly I think the overall purpose of this semi-biopic hasn't got the appeal it use to. I don't think there are masses and masses of people whom care much about dramatized celebrity biographical movies anymore unless you are talking about major current world renown celebs.
                  Last edited by Looney; 06-06-2019, 08:13 AM.

Comment

DId anyone happen to see the DEADWOOD movie on HBO? I won't be able to see it until it gets a physical media release, but I am curious to know if it was any good.

Comment

I have access to it, with a hbo nordic subscription, but i never finished watching the original show, and i understand it is a continuation, so i may have to restart from scratch
                      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_873.png
Views:	5
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	152915
                        Originally posted by Looney View Post
                        DId anyone happen to see the DEADWOOD movie on HBO? I won't be able to see it until it gets a physical media release, but I am curious to know if it was any good.
                        I've recorded it but I haven't watched it yet.

I give you a screen shot as a teaser.
                        Last edited by Kraig; Today, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X