New Trek Poster [possible spoilers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Trek Poster [possible spoilers]

Lots of mixed feelings about the new Trek poster for 'STAR TREK into Darkness'.

A comparison with another profitable francise.

- and a funny quote I saw today:
    "BatKirk must save Space Gotham from the Astro-Joker"

Kind of figured this is will be a sequel to "Where no man has gone before' the Gary Michell story.

Considering Alice Eve's change of hair style to the Elizabeth Dehner 'do' is a serious indictment.

Also check out the image of Spock and Mitchell from the ongoing Trek comic and how it compares to that scene leaked months ago.

Ought to be another good action flick for Abrams

I don't understand..."serious indictment" of what? Heavy terminology for a hair style.

The last film was fine light entertainment with some nice nods to the original and this one has Cumberbatch (sp?) in it so I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      I don't understand..."serious indictment" of what? Heavy terminology for a hair style.
      Jan
      Agreed, a little too melodramatic

Comment

Dave, my first thought was "Cap'n Jack Harkness".
        Thanks for posting it - I lurk here to get all the most useful Geek tv/movie news in one place.

In the first movie, the first few minutes of the stuff set in Iowa caused my brain to meltdown, because there is no part of the Riverside area that looks remotely like that (I've birded the region for years). After that first meltdown, I shut off my brain, and enjoyed it. When "my" Spock showed up, I had a Sheldon Cooper moment, and the movie went from candy floss to hot fudge brownies.

and this one has Cumberbatch (sp?) in it so I'm kind of looking forward to it.
        I recently heard that, but am not sure if he can really step into Ricardo Montalban's shoes. He is an amazing actor, but as Khan? He will pretty much ensure I'll at least DVD it.
        It was important, Dumbledore said, to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then could evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated...
        - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Comment

Do we know for sure it's Kahn? I'd heard it might be Kirk's nemesis from Academy days and now DaveNarn's indicated a Gary Mitchell possibility.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Do we know for sure it's Kahn? I'd heard it might be Kirk's nemesis from Academy days and now DaveNarn's indicated a Gary Mitchell possibility.

Jan
            They've stated that it's not Khan.

I'm not looking forward to this too much, since I thought that the first one betrayed what Star Trek was about... then again, so did plenty of the original movies and even shows, so it's nothing new.

Super 8 was the best Star Trek movie Abrams is likely to make.
            Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

I'd say it's a safe bet that it's Gary Mitchell - who, when we last saw him was marooned and forgotten on an uninhabited planet.

Kirk does that, a lot.

Gary Mitchell and Dr. Elizabeth Dehner get their super-powers on.

That TOS (second) pilot 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' had great guest stars.
              Sally Kellerman / MASH
              Gary Lockwood / 2001: A Space Odyssey

Comment

Now the new Superman movie is doing it.
                Maybe it's the JJ Verse Superman and he's all goth and gloomy!

How 'bout just mixing them both for a Two-for-One deal?

Hmmm...needs more lens flair

Comment

I've read that they are NOT recycling comic material for the film, so that would suggest that Mitchell is out. I have heard rumors and talk of it being Garth of Izar.
                  Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I think it'll be a fun film. The last one was enjoyable enough as long as you disengaged your brain. I saw it as a solid blockbuster / action film, and a much needed shot in the arm for the Trek franchise.
                    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
                      I'd say it's a safe bet that it's Gary Mitchell - who, when we last saw him was marooned and forgotten on an uninhabited planet.

And dead.

Of course that rock might not have killed him.

Maybe he was playing possum.

Well in the old universe. the new one who the hell knows? I will see it, I'm sure, but fill in what Jonas said. ^

I'm just going to say I was heartily dissapointed with the first one and so the next has almost got to be better, right?
                      "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
                      "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

I enjoyed the first "new trek" film, but then I am a baby lurker who has barely gotten her toes wet in the rest of the Trek fandom, so easier for me to enjoy, maybe.

Mostly I just really liked "new spock" and for some reason I really identified with his character throughout the movie. I may not enjoy the second one as much without him being the leader.

But we'll see ....

Comment

I liked the buddy aspect of the original series. Little stories of three guys getting each other out of trouble.
                          If this new franchise can recapture that magic then maybe every even-number movie will be a hit.

One things for certain. After seeing B5, the new BSG, SG-1, Farscape and Space: Above and Beyond - Star Trek has not been the same.

I'd still like to see UFO, and Blake 7 and any new space show that comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Maturin View Post
                            I've read that they are NOT recycling comic material for the film, so that would suggest that Mitchell is out. I have heard rumors and talk of it being Garth of Izar.
                            Garth had an interesting history in Starfleet and would be a good villain.
                            Mitchell is pretty one dimensional.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Garth_of_Izar

Comment

One things for certain. After seeing B5, the new BSG, SG-1, Farscape and Space: Above and Beyond - Star Trek has not been the same.

I really felt that way about the spin off Star Treks that I watched, but the orginal and animated series for me as still as great as ever. Of course, B5 is the number one all time best show, it can not be denied.

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
                              Garth had an interesting history in Starfleet and would be a good villain.
                              Mitchell is pretty one dimensional.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Garth_of_Izar
                              That's Lord Garth!

Now that I've seen the pictures, the edges of the outline remind me of the Borg ships and how they were constructed, although I see your Batpest and Superham connection.

Also, does anyone think the figure in the picture is dressed like "Pinhead"?

P.S. I can't see pics at work and I only see little red x es until I can look from home.
                              Last edited by Marsden; 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM.
                              "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
                              "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

Working...
                              X