Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars

I know it isn't Babylon 5, but anyone here excited about the upcoming sequel trilogy?

I think the purchase of Lucas Film by Disney is nothing but good news. I applaud Lucas for letting go of his baby, it was about time. The Star Wars universe was always far better off when other (more talented) individuals were on board helping with scripting, directing and editing. Lucas (who can’t write dialogue to save his life), should never have been allowed such unprecedented creative control over the prequel films. They were clear evidence that without someone to exercise quality control, Lucas wasn’t capable of producing anything remotely watchable. The prequels were total nonsense, devoid of any sense of weight or drama. We all knew where those films were going, who those characters were set to become, but at no point did I feel emotionally invested or interested. Like JMS said, it’s okay to let the viewer know where things are going, but it’s how you get there that counts. The getting there was handled so badly.

It will be good to see someone else given a shot at turning the franchise around, the choice of writer and director will of course be key. I firmly believe that the sequels that follow will be at least better than that sprawling CG infested mess that was Episodes 1-3.

I’m unsure who would be best to direct, let alone script the thing. I think the new films could use a sense of fun and wonder, with some more detailed world building. Most of all we need new characters we can engage with. Many discussions I’ve seen have singled out Joss Whedon as a good choice for director, or perhaps even script writer. It makes a whole lot of sense given Firefly had the same ‘frontier SF’ feel. My vote however, would be with Genndy Tartakovsky as director, who did the Clone Wars animated shorts. He did such wonderful things with the source material. I’d love to see him involved somehow. The man has put out nothing but quality, albeit primarily in the animated field. If you haven’t experienced the joys of Samurai Jack, get on it.

There are rumours they may go with a smaller name up and coming director, someone who isn’t necessarily on those ‘top ten’ lists that have been doing the rounds on the internet.

So, yes. I think I’m cautiously optimistic about these new films. It means Star Wars could actually be GOOD again.
    Last edited by Ubik; 11-08-2012, 05:48 AM.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

It would seem that George Lucas handed over outlines for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, and that they picked up with Luke, Han and Leia several decades after the events of Return of the Jedi. Over the past few days Ford, Hamill, and Fisher have all said they would be willing to talk.

It could be very interesting.
      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerCaste View Post
        It would seem that George Lucas handed over outlines for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, and that they picked up with Luke, Han and Leia several decades after the events of Return of the Jedi. Over the past few days Ford, Hamill, and Fisher have all said they would be willing to talk.

It could be very interesting.
        If anything I expect theyƆll have cameo roles, but nothing too substantial. I am really hoping they go back to the tone of the original trilogy and progress it logically.

Comment

Couldn't resist this one...

Comment

Love the photo LOL

I'm in the minority I guess, but I enjoyed the PT quite a lot, even Phantom Menace, although episode two was the first time I can ever remember feeling that sense of awe and wonder when it came to the stories, and then I read the novelization for Return of the Sith and I loved the book so much because of the wonderful characterizations. It really got me inside Anakin and Obi One's heads to the point where I felt disappointed when I saw the movie because it felt like so much was missing.

I watched the OT on taped vidoes that my parents had recorded when I was a kid, but other than thinking Princess Leia was cool and the ewoks were cute I never truly engaged with them. They were my first forsay into sci fi, but I wasn't quite ready for it yet.

I am excited by the ST mainly for the chance to be a part of the fandom leading up to their release, as well as because they tend to make excellent cinema movies.

I want to rewatch the OT now as an adult because I really didn't understand it as a kid.

I have no hopes or desires for a director, but Joss Whedon would be a wonderful choice!!!!! Storywise I like the idea of the original three being mentor characters there to pass off the torch to the new characters, and then each die off one by one.

I am hoping for a female Jedi with much stronger characterization, but we'll see where they go with it.

Comment

This may be a little off topic, but a fun read as the missing scene from Ep V: The Empire Strikes Back.

A furious lightsaber duel is underway. DARTH VADER is backing LUKE SKYWALKER towards the end of the gantry. A quick move by Vader, chops off Luke's hand! It goes spinning off into the ventilation shaft. Luke backs away. He looks around, but realizes there's nowhere to go but straight down.

Darth Vader: Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father.

Luke: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!

Darth Vader: No, Luke... I am your father!

Luke: No. It can't be. That's not true. That's impossible!

Darth Vader: Search your feelings Luke... you know them to be true.

Luke: NOOoooo!

Darth Vader: Yes, it is true... and you know what else? You know that brass droid of yours?

Luke: Threepio?

Darth Vader: Yes... Threepio... I built him... when I was 7 years old.

Luke: No! ... Wait, huh?

Darth Vader: Seven years old. And what have you done? Look at yourself. No hand. No job. And you couldn't even levitate your own ship out of the swamp...

Luke: But... I destroyed your precious Death Star!

Darth Vader: But that was when you were 20! When I was 10, I single-handedly destroyed an entire Trade Federation
              Droid Control ship!

Luke: Well, it's not my fault...

Darth Vader: Oh, here we go... "Poor me... my father never gave me what I wanted for my birthday... boo hoo, my daddy's the Dark Lord of the Sith... Nobody loved me... waahhh wahhh!"

Luke: Shut up!

Darth Vader: You're a slacker! By the time I was your age, I had already exterminated the Jedi knights!

Luke: I used to race my T-16 through Beggar's Canyon.

Darth Vader: Oh, for the love of the Emperor... 10 years old, winner of the Boonta Eve Open... the Only human to ever fly a Pod Racer... right here baby!

Luke looks down the shaft. Takes a step towards it.

Darth Vader: I was wrong... You're not my kid... I don't know whose you are, but you sure ain't mine.

Luke takes a step off the platform, hesitates, then plunges down the shaft.

Darth Vader looks down after him.

Darth Vader: And get a haircut!

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if that was a genuine unfilmed scene! If anyone's ever read the original draft of A New Hope, you'll know what I mean!

I think C3PO was originally meant to sound like a New York cabbie. Oh George!
                Last edited by Ubik; 11-09-2012, 04:52 AM.

Comment

That scene was totes funny!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I liked the prequel trilogy a lot and think George Lucas is quite good at his job. I'd be happier if he was writing and directing the new movies, but we'll see.

They're saying Matthew Vaughn might direct the next one. I have not enjoyed his movies so far.
                    Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

The poster and the missing scene were both great. Gave me a good laugh to start my day!
                      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                        I liked the prequel trilogy a lot and think George Lucas is quite good at his job. I'd be happier if he was writing and directing the new movies, but we'll see.

They're saying Matthew Vaughn might direct the next one. I have not enjoyed his movies so far.
                        I don't see the Vaughn thing happening. It has since emerged that Michael Arndt will be writing episode VII. Not a bad choice at all. Slightly left of field as I expected.

I'd be perfectly happy if George Lucas never made another film. I could find nothing redeeming in the prequels. Bad scripting, over reliance on CGI (that already looks dated) and I felt very sorry for the collective cast who gave awful performances because the source material was so lamentable.

Sorry, I REALLY wanted the prequels to be good, but they had none of the fun of the original films. Lucas isn't half as good when he's not ripping off old Kurosawa films!
                        Last edited by Ubik; 11-09-2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                          I'd be perfectly happy if George Lucas never made another film. I could find nothing redeeming in the prequels. Bad scripting, over reliance on CGI (that already looks dated) and I felt very sorry for the collective cast who gave awful performances because the source material was so lamentable.

Sorry, I REALLY wanted the prequels to be good, but they had none of the fun of the original films. Lucas isn't half as good when he's not ripping off old Kurosawa films!
                          I think pretty much the exact opposite, but I doubt we're going to convince each other here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                            I think pretty much the exact opposite, but I doubt we're going to convince each other here.
                            No worries man! Personal taste, is just that... personal. The universe would be a very dull place if we all thought the same way.

Loads of my friends don't get my long running love of B5... so I can relate!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                              Loads of my friends don't get my long running love of B5... so I can relate!
                              Now hold on a minute... not loving B5 is not the same. It is simply inexcusable! Inexcusable, I tell you!

Comment

Working...
                              X