Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know what would be fun? BOYCOTT! ! !

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You know what would be fun? BOYCOTT! ! !

    I heard that there is a feeble attempt to boycott the newly altered versions of Star Wars that are about to be released on BLU-RAY. I thought to myself, "What would be more fun than spreading the word about such a thing?!" George Lucas is once again tinkering with Star Wars because, I guess, he just has too much money and time on his hands. So, let's just say no to buying this product.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

  • #2
    The boycott wouldn't work since it's obviously going to be a best-seller. Plus, there will be the inevitable re-release a few years later, and also in the formats that have yet to be thunk up.

    I'm not going to purchase a copy for the sole reason that I don't own a Blu-Ray player.
    RIP Coach Larry Finch
    Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
    Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, I know

      Yeah, I know it will be a bestseller. People are dumb. It is like they feel they have to buy it.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

      Comment


      • #4
        You Know What Would Be Fun?

        A sci-fi channel that likes science fiction, fantasy, and the fans of those two genres.
        Mac Breck (KoshN)
        ------------------
        Warner Brothers is Lucy.
        JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
        Babylon 5 is the football.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah

          Yeah, that would be fun. Didn't there used to be one of those, but it wasn't very good?
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

          Comment


          • #6
            You Know What Would Be Fun?

            Originally posted by Looney View Post
            Yeah, that would be fun. Didn't there used to be one of those, but it wasn't very good?
            Yeah, here in the USA it was good up until the early~mid. 2000s, when it started going downhill bigtime with:

            Scare Tactics
            Mad, Mad House
            Ghost Hunters
            Wrestling
            and
            non-sci-fi movies.

            ...while cancelling sci-fi series.
            Last edited by KoshN; 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM.
            Mac Breck (KoshN)
            ------------------
            Warner Brothers is Lucy.
            JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
            Babylon 5 is the football.

            Comment


            • #7
              Would it really be a boycott if you would never consider buying it?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                Yeah, here in the USA it was good up until the early~mid. 2000s, when it started going downhill bigtime with:

                Scare Tactics
                Mad, Mad House
                Ghost Hunters
                Wrestling
                and
                non-sci-fi movies.

                ...while cancelling sci-fi series.
                Yup. I remember annoying the hell out of my cable provider in the 90's by constantly asking them to pick up the Sci-Fi Channel. I never thought that a few years after finally getting it that I would turn around and annoy them by asking that they drop it.
                RIP Coach Larry Finch
                Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think my favorite ridiculous thing they've done is try to re-brand themselves as SyFy. Of course, that came at the very end for me. I was already down to watching only one or two shows they had. Those shows ended up stinking and I haven't watched that channel since.

                  And that is a good point Dan Dassow. I guess I am not really boycotting it. Once I heard it was just going to have the SE cuts of the originally trilogy I wasn't buying it. Guess I can't boycott something I never planned to buy.
                  Last edited by Looney; 09-03-2011, 06:16 PM. Reason: Mistake
                  Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You could boycott yourself from changing your mind about it.

                    Apparently, there is yet more tinkering with the OT. in ROTJ, when Luke is being assaulted by the Emp's force lightning and DV stops him...he now wails "NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
                    Last edited by DGTWoodward; 09-04-2011, 04:53 AM.
                    http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                    Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                    47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      As someone with an eye on film history, I've been continually dismayed with how Lucas rewrites his own history with these changes and keeps the originals out of circulation.

                      For me, I'm sticking with my old laser discs ported over to DVD and then borrowing a friend's blu-ray discs to watch the special features. I have no interest in watching these re-re-re-worked versions.
                      Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by frulad View Post
                        As someone with an eye on film history, I've been continually dismayed with how Lucas rewrites his own history with these changes and keeps the originals out of circulation.

                        For me, I'm sticking with my old laser discs ported over to DVD and then borrowing a friend's blu-ray discs to watch the special features. I have no interest in watching these re-re-re-worked versions.
                        Well, that's the real slap in the face to the fans of the OT isn't it? The only way to see STAR WARS remastered in full 1080p HD will be on the new set.

                        Doesn't the keeping '...the originals out of circulation' involve a legal action/pay-out with his (then) wife?

                        I suspect that in his mind, this is just crossing the 'T's and dotting the 'I's on the original trilogy. What he is really doing is proving to the world just hows shoddily written the PT movies really were. Which is just plain laziness. He had the OT, he knew where all the sentimental 'touching posts' needed to be, he knew all the plot elements he needed to establish. So why did he manage to miss so many of them by so far.
                        http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                        Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                        47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The one sop he threw to us original version OT fans was the limited DVD release a few years ago where the original versions were included as "special features". The picture quality was truly hopeless and basically ruined the whole thing for me ... which is to say I still love the movies, but can't be arsed with it all anymore.
                          The Optimist: The glass is half full
                          The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                          The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
                            The one sop he threw to us original version OT fans was the limited DVD release a few years ago where the original versions were included as "special features". The picture quality was truly hopeless and basically ruined the whole thing for me ... which is to say I still love the movies, but can't be arsed with it all anymore.
                            Yes, I bought them hoping for something that was salvagable. I ended up with three films that looked almost no different from my three 'faces' Laserdiscs!
                            http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                            Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                            47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Looney View Post
                              I heard that there is a feeble attempt to boycott the newly altered versions of Star Wars that are about to be released on BLU-RAY. I thought to myself, "What would be more fun than spreading the word about such a thing?!" George Lucas is once again tinkering with Star Wars because, I guess, he just has too much money and time on his hands. So, let's just say no to buying this product.
                              What do we want? We don't know!

                              When do we want it? Whenever!
                              Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                              True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X