Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why So Many Movies Suck

http://www.cracked.com/article_19012...vies-suck.html

This is a funny, yet sad analysis of why so many movies suck these days. All their points are very true, and obvious yet not always something you might think of. It's so tough to get good, new creative properties out there nowdays.
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Most of these points are accurate(ish), but the bit about the international market is rather off, I think. Studios make considerably less from the international market (in terms of percentages of gross), and my impression has been that only in recent years have they even become fully aware of the importance of overseas sales. Either way, the rest of the arguments in that segment sound more like the writer has no idea about what people in the rest of the world are like and imagines that everyone is like him. Seriously, blaming the degeneration of Hollywood writing on the international market is extremely silly.

(And no, I have no illusions about European arthouse cinema.)
    Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

It's also cracked so it's meant to be a little over the top and funny. The international market point was a little bit of a stretch, but it's still true for some of the bigger blockbusters.
      True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
        The international market point was a little bit of a stretch, but it's still true for some of the bigger blockbusters.
        I think it's quite wrong-headed, and comes from a very strange perspective of what the rest of the world is like (including size - the international market consists of dozens of countries, so comparing numbers without adjusting for population is a bit silly).

Comment

One movie that definitely won't suck on ANY market is Fuck&Punch when hits the theaters.
          Californication fans will know what I mean.
          What's up Drakh?

Comment

Yeah... that whole bit about "Everything Is Simplified for the International Market" didn't make any sense to me.

I'd say in Europe the stupid blockbuster films are always critiqued as such. A phrase I often read is: "it's a typically stupid American blockbuster, so leave your brain at home". And the blame for it is always cast on the studios, for catering to the stereotypical redneck Americans. Not once have I heard anyone suspect it is because the studios don't think foreigners could understand such complex issues such as American culture...

So the tables have turned, let's blame the international audience for a change!

They even pick Transformers 2 as an example, which has been labeled as one of the most idiotic blockbuster films of recent times (allegedly, still haven't seen it), and point out it made $400 million overseas. Well, it also made $400 million in the US, so the Americans obviously "liked" it even more than the international audience, since they are only 300 million people out of 6.9 billion.

I wonder why they didn't point out Inception making $531 million internationally, and only $292 million in the US? That film made a lot of money everywhere, and was universally well reviewed. And it certainly wasn't dumbed down for anyone. And funnily enough, the international audience understood it, even with "most of it getting lost in translation to subtitles". (Huh?)

Comment

Originally posted by vakie View Post
              And funnily enough, the international audience understood it, even with "most of it getting lost in translation to subtitles". (Huh?)
              Which is another sign that they don't know what they're talking about - in most major international markets, movies are dubbed (which is terrible, but not the point).

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                Which is another sign that they don't know what they're talking about - in most major international markets, movies are dubbed (which is terrible, but not the point).
                Dubbed is the worst kind of torture for me. I can live with subtitles, but prefer anything in a language I understand to be just that. Much is lost in (translated) subtitles, but much more if dubbed.

Oh, I loved Inception, though I can not really see why many were confused. I thought it was sorta straight forward what was going on . . .
                Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
                  Dubbed is the worst kind of torture for me. I can live with subtitles, but prefer anything in a language I understand to be just that. Much is lost in (translated) subtitles, but much more if dubbed.
                  Same here. And it ruins movies.

(In the German dubbing of B5, Londo doesn't have an accent. And "A Voice in the Wilderness" is called "Attack of the Aliens." Sigh...)

Oh, I loved Inception, though I can not really see why many were confused. I thought it was sorta straight forward what was going on . . .
                  I didn't love it, though I thought it was all right - and certainly not as confusing as people keep claiming it is. Then again, the critics always claim that about every science fiction movie, including the original Star Wars.

Comment

(In the German dubbing of B5, Londo doesn't have an accent. And "A Voice in the Wilderness" is called "Attack of the Aliens." Sigh...)
                    Indeed, that is what I meant, complete loss of the "atmosphere" of a movie - even if you could not understand the language.

I didn't love it, though I thought it was all right - and certainly not as confusing as people keep claiming it is. Then again, the critics always claim that about every science fiction movie, including the original Star Wars.
                    Certainly not - and I was not talking about critics, just people going to see the movie with me.

Re.: Critics : If you know how they consistently judge movies, you can use their comments - if not . . .
                    Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

Movies are only difficult to follow if one is doing anything else other than watching the damn movie.
                      RIP Coach Larry Finch
                      Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                      Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow View Post
                        Movies are only difficult to follow if one is doing anything else other than watching the damn movie.
                        Yep ! you are absolutely right !
                        Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow View Post
                          Which is a bummer because I like to post on forums like this while watching movies :3

Can't believe this thread took off so much! I guess people here like movies.

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
                            Which is a bummer because I like to post on forums like this while watching movies :3

At least you're not changing your baby's diaper during the movie.

And I love movies...at home on my sofa, with a beer. or 3.
                            RIP Coach Larry Finch
                            Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                            Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Yep, that missing accent of his definitely was the one of the major losses of the german dubbing.
                              Even worse are dubbed sitcoms or anything that heavily relies on funny dialogs, jokes or the likes. Try watching the Wayne's World movies (no Saturday Night Live available there, mind you) in german or Two and a half Men for example (especially the ep featuring Steven Tyler). *shivers*
                              But also some ambient details get lost. Like e.g. the echo effect in SW: A new Hope when Luke and Leia are talking while standing on the edge of that disabled bridge inside the Deathstar.

Subtitles distract me to much of what's being said, because when they're there I can't help but read them although I woudn't need to.
                              I bought a copy of Naked Lunch in the Netherlands once. It had dutch subtitles per default. So I started reading them immediately although my english exceeds my dutch by far.
                              What's up Drakh?

Comment

Working...
                              X