Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A show that will top B5? Possibly...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cel...premieres.html

I can't remember the last time i was this excited about tv.
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

I couldn't get to the text of the article, but from the title I got "Game of Thrones". Have you read the books? Very good read. Don't know if it says it in the article, but the series is "Song of Fire and Ice" by George R. R. Martin. The series is named after the first book "A Game of Thrones"

Of course, I'm still waiting for him to finish the %@$^ series!!!! The most recent book came out in 2005 or 2006 iirc.
    "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerCaste View Post
      I couldn't get to the text of the article, but from the title I got "Game of Thrones". Have you read the books? Very good read. Don't know if it says it in the article, but the series is "Song of Fire and Ice" by George R. R. Martin. The series is named after the first book "A Game of Thrones"

Of course, I'm still waiting for him to finish the %@$^ series!!!! The most recent book came out in 2005 or 2006 iirc.
      Great writer. JMS worked with him on New Twilight Zone, I think.

And yes, I have read the books. Just like every other epic fantasy author, the series never seems to end.
      Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
      True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I adored the books when they first started coming out, but then the gaps between books became so long that I couldn't get back into it. My wife informs me that the last two haven't been particularly good.

A big part of the problem I see with a lot of modern storytelling is a lack of respect for structure. Writers should be forced to watch B5 just to learn something about that.
        Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
          Great writer. JMS worked with him on New Twilight Zone, I think.
          Different runs. Martin was story editor on the network TZ2 in 1986 but JMS wasn't story editor until TZ3, the half-hour syndicated version in 1988/89.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
            My wife informs me that the last two haven't been particularly good.
            I will say that I came to the series late so I read all the books one after another.. until I ran out. I didn't notice any difference in quality between the first and the last published. Maybe the long wait affects perceptions, or maybe I'm not observant.
            "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Even though I'm not into the fantasy genre as I was back in high school and college, I have thought about giving this series a read.
              RIP Coach Larry Finch
              Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
              Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Ice & Fire (Not the DC version)

I imagine once the HBO series hits, the book sales will go up significantly. Almost all of the Sookie Stackhouse novels made it into the top seller paperback charts when True Blood started. Even the one season run of the Dresden Files on Syfy push Jim Butcher's sales up into the stratosphere and they've stayed up there despite the TV series going away.

I had George as our Author Guest of Honor at LepreCon last year, and the fannish anger at him definitely had an impact on our turnout. I had fans tell me they'd like to come see him but all they'd want to do is rag on him for not getting the latest book done. If you think people have been getting on Joe's case for not getting things done on time, George has really been getting crap from fans for a while. After seeing things like Robert Jordan passing away before his epic series was done (although he spent much of his final days leaving notes for someone else to finish it), fans are concerned about not getting to see the end of it.

The current SoIaF novel is actually half of the story intended to be part of the previous novel, it got big enough that George decided to split it into two books. Unfortunately, he's not had it easy writing the second half of it. Maybe once he gets it done, he'll be able to go forward on the rest of the series. But, it is his creation and he wants the finished product to be the best it can be. I don't envy his editor, who also had to deal with at least two other authors taking much longer for their novels with Connie Willis and Scott Lynch (Connie got hers done first, but she'd been working on it for eight years!).

Lee
                Webmaster
                SFTV.org
                B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

Sometimes writers have trouble and it can't be easy having the fans think they're helping anything by nagging all the time. I see 'fans' breaking into just about every thread on David Gerrold's FB page to nag about the Chtorr series.

When there are long gaps between books, the best thing to do (imo, of course) is to re-read the previous ones to ramp up to the new one.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
                  X