Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough Sci-Fi?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not enough Sci-Fi?

    I am somewhat perplexed at why Tv companies don`t commission more science fiction programmes to be made.

    Sure I know V has been remade (Why?) & Blakes 7 is coming back, but what frustrates me more than anything is that time & time again series are being cancelled without completeing the storylines leaving fans lost in the process.

    A good example of this has got to be the tv series of the "War of the Worlds"
    two seasons of this series were made to a successful conclusion BUT as per usual they finished the series without tieing up all those loose ends.

    For those of you who remember the series a second race of aliens (Synth`s from the planet QarÆTo) became involved who had their own hidden agenda for earth but this story never evolved any further & so has been left unfinished.

    As a young boy I used to buy a comic book series called "Starblazer" who also produce the long running war comicbook series "Commando" Starblazer was retired many years ago and I think some of these stories would have made an awesome series featuring new stories & Characters every episode.

    I do not have the financial means to be able to make anything like this, BUT to see some of my favorate books made into a series would be a dream come true.

    I`ll never understand why instead of creating a new series why they have to resurrect old ones & tell the same story that has already been told before.

    Still I`ll carry on watching what there is, at least there is "Doctor Who"

    To all the Sci-fi fans & Writers out there.

    "Live long & prosper" and always remember "In space No-one can hear you scream!"

    My Respects to you all......

  • #2
    Because Your Mom's Got Talent gets a 5.0 in the ratings, costs $150,000 per episode to make.

    Adventures of Super Space Nova gets a 1.4 share in the ratings, costs $2 million per episode to make.

    Sad, but that simple.
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
      Because Your Mom's Got Talent gets a 5.0 in the ratings, costs $150,000 per episode to make.

      Adventures of Super Space Nova gets a 1.4 share in the ratings, costs $2 million per episode to make.

      Sad, but that simple.
      Yep, crap is cheap, and for some reason people will still watch it. LOADS of it. That's why "Firefly" had 14 episodes, and "The Bachelor" has had 14 SEASONS.

      And I'm afraid that until being a "DURRR" becomes a capital offense, things will stay that way.

      Hey, at least Futurama is coming back this Thursday. That's kinda sci-fi...
      "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid." -- Quantum Crook, Casey and Andy Webcomic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Doom Shepherd View Post
        Yep, crap is cheap, and for some reason people will still watch it. LOADS of it. That's why "Firefly" had 14 episodes, and "The Bachelor" has had 14 SEASONS.

        And I'm afraid that until being a "DURRR" becomes a capital offense, things will stay that way.

        Hey, at least Futurama is coming back this Thursday. That's kinda sci-fi...
        I was listening to the radio the other day, I forget what it was but I'm sure it was some conservative talk politics thing. And it wasn't about politics but it was some actor or writer, I forget who talking to the host.

        He said "listen, please, stop watching reality tv. Every time you watch that, you're putting a writer or an actor out of work." And I hope his message got across. I really do.
        Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
          He said "listen, please, stop watching reality tv. Every time you watch that, you're putting a writer or an actor out of work." And I hope his message got across. I really do.
          It'd be really funny if you were listening to Jerry Doyle.

          FP

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FuryPilot View Post
            It'd be really funny if you were listening to Jerry Doyle.

            FP
            Wasn't Jerry Doyle!
            Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
            True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

            Comment


            • #7
              The only show I watch that could be argued as a "reality show" is Deadliest Catch, but I view that show more as a serialized documentary of Alaskan Crab Fishing.
              RIP Coach Larry Finch
              Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
              Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KaLore View Post
                A good example of this has got to be the tv series of the "War of the Worlds"
                two seasons of this series were made to a successful conclusion BUT as per usual they finished the series without tieing up all those loose ends.
                Ha! Talk about Flashforward. One season an it's gone. Instead crap like the new version of V continues...
                What's up Drakh?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by I love Lyta View Post
                  Ha! Talk about Flashforward. One season an it's gone. Instead crap like the new version of V continues...
                  Why do you call the new "V" crap? Don't take that question for any more than a straightforward question about "V."

                  After you've replied, I'll tell you what I thought of "V." I had it typed in here, but didn't want it to possibly color your reply. So, I cut and pasted it into a text file, and am saving it for later.
                  Mac Breck (KoshN)
                  ------------------
                  Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                  JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                  Babylon 5 is the football.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                    Why do you call the new "V" crap? Don't take that question for any more than a straightforward question about "V."
                    I wouldn't call it pure crap, but the show really does not appear to be written with care. There are giant plot holes in most episodes. Many times the plot depends on one of the characters doing something stupid and out of character. The humans and media of the V universe are extremely stupid and easy to manipulate.

                    As far as Flash Forward - I found it very interesting, but somehow ABC couldn't market it and the ratings just fell off the edge - on some weeks coming in 6th in its timeslot. Maybe if it had been in the Tuesday night slot it would have done better. There was no chance at all of it being renewed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nottenst View Post
                      I wouldn't call it pure crap, but the show really does not appear to be written with care. There are giant plot holes in most episodes. Many times the plot depends on one of the characters doing something stupid and out of character. The humans and media of the V universe are extremely stupid and easy to manipulate.

                      As far as Flash Forward - I found it very interesting, but somehow ABC couldn't market it and the ratings just fell off the edge - on some weeks coming in 6th in its timeslot. Maybe if it had been in the Tuesday night slot it would have done better. There was no chance at all of it being renewed.
                      Flash forward was a very interesting concept. I...didn't watch it though. I don't know why ><
                      Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                      True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nottenst View Post
                        I wouldn't call it pure crap, but the show really does not appear to be written with care. There are giant plot holes in most episodes. Many times the plot depends on one of the characters doing something stupid and out of character. The humans and media of the V universe are extremely stupid and easy to manipulate.

                        As far as Flash Forward - I found it very interesting, but somehow ABC couldn't market it and the ratings just fell off the edge - on some weeks coming in 6th in its timeslot. Maybe if it had been in the Tuesday night slot it would have done better. There was no chance at all of it being renewed.
                        What you said about V applied very well to FF too. Sometimes the writing was just painfully bad, that's what killed the ratings. Usually the plot required the characters to act against all logic and reason. And even if the writing would've been up to par, the execution wasn't much better. Some of the actors were great, but some of the key characters were devoid of any chemistry between them, resulting in embarrassing acting performances. They wasted a brilliant concept.

                        I'm still on the fence about V. There's been some bad episodes and bad writing there as well, but they might yet redeem themselves when things escalate. If they don't, good riddance.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Apart from what's already been stated about weird behaviour of characters, I'm also not a big fan of remakes. I like the old version the way it was. I thought the acting and behaviour of the main chars was well enough. Okay, the whole Elisabeth thingy got a little cheesy at the end. But still I liked it...

                          abc also canned Legend of the Seeker. So they have a good hand for bad decisions there.

                          Still I`ll carry on watching what there is, at least there is "Doctor Who"
                          Season ended last Saturday.
                          Last edited by I love Lyta; 07-02-2010, 07:40 AM.
                          What's up Drakh?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A new Sci-Fi cable channel in the works?

                            Hi friends. All of you should know by now that we've been working over the last couple of years to create a new cable television network. This new network would be for SciFi fans and run by real SciFi fans.

                            We've been working very hard to come up with a plan that would be attractive and profitable to investors and still create a healthy, sustainable network that would be around for decades to come. We now have that plan. It's going to cost us $60 million to get this network going. Believe it or not, that's a very small amount to start a cable television network and it means we'll have to sacrifice for the first few years. It means very little original programming for the first five years of the network's life in order to keep startup costs low. There are investors out there who like the plan and would like to be a part of something this exciting. We've shown them a plan in which The Syzygy Network can reach profitability in four years.

                            However, that plan assumes that people will watch the network. The investors have told us that they don't simply want our word that SciFi fans would love to have a new network. They want proof.

                            Here's how you can be a part of this. We need numbers. Not little numbers...BIG numbers.

                            DO YOU WANT a new SciFi network???

                            Then tell people about it. Go to:

                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Sy...36797859680282

                            Like the page. Tell your friends to like it. Tell them to tell their friends.

                            Let's make this page a phenomenon on Facebook. I've seen the power of the SciFi fan. I've seen it make Star Trek go another year. It worked again for Star Trek: Enterprise, then again for Jericho. Each of those shows got an extra year after the networks had decided to cancel them. That same power resulted in the browncoats getting Serenity, the theatrical movie out of the ashes of Firefly. I've seen full page ads in Variety to the producers of shows like Earth 2.

                            I've seen SciFi fans change the world, just as SciFi itself did before them. We are a powerful group of people. We have the power to do this. That power comes in numbers.

                            Help make the Syzygy Network page one of the biggest, fastest-growing pages on Facebook. With the numbers proving that there's room for a new SciFi network the investors won't have call to say no.

                            Make your voices heard. Let them know you want a new network that believes in you, that loves you and was created by real fans, not some group of corporate net heads (we know how good their decisions about SciFi shows are!). We understand we need to make a profit to survive, but it's not our only motivation.

                            Syzygy is not all about the bottom line. It's about you. Help us make it happen.

                            Thanks!
                            Dave Andrews
                            CEO and original founder,
                            The Syzygy Network

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by vakie View Post
                              A new Sci-Fi cable channel in the works?
                              Not until I see a signed and notarized statement promising the following:

                              1. We know what SciFi is, and that it is NOT the same as Fantasy.
                              2. No Goddamn Vampires, sparkly or otherwise. (Unless a Whedon is involved.)
                              3. No craptacular Movies of the Week starring mutant sharks, piranhas, octopi, snakes, crocodiles, etc.

                              Anybody wanna add 4,5,and 6?
                              "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid." -- Quantum Crook, Casey and Andy Webcomic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X