Fall TV Buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall TV Buzz

One of the greatest effects B5 had for me was raising my expectations for television. I now want my shows to be more. It's not just epsisodic versus arc, but it's really about the characters. I came to realize that I love character driven pieces.

All that being said, the big challenge is finding new shows that might grab my interest. What are people hearing about any new shows this fall? Any recommendations?
    "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

This fall Stargate Universe will be airing. It is suppose to be a departure from the previous two shows and be far more character driven like Firefly and Battlestar Galactica, but not as dark as Galactica got. If you've never seen Stargate before, this show is meant to be a fresh entry point for new viewers, so you don't need to watch the previous 15 seasons. I enjoyed the previous two Stargate shows, as they were entertaining, while definitely not to Babylon 5's calibre of storytelling (in my opinion), the show was fun, had good FX and some nice on going storylines. So perhaps you may want to check this show out when it airs on SyFy/Space on October 2nd (?).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post
      This fall Stargate Universe will be airing. It is suppose to be a departure from the previous two shows and be far more character driven like Firefly and Battlestar Galactica, but not as dark as Galactica got. If you've never seen Stargate before, this show is meant to be a fresh entry point for new viewers, so you don't need to watch the previous 15 seasons. I enjoyed the previous two Stargate shows, as they were entertaining, while definitely not to Babylon 5's calibre of storytelling (in my opinion), the show was fun, had good FX and some nice on going storylines. So perhaps you may want to check this show out when it airs on SyFy/Space on October 2nd (?).
      Personally, I found both of the old Stargate series to be bowel-shatteringly terrible, despite having several very good actors in them. (We watched Stargate: Atlantis for David Hewlett.) Both shows glorify militarism to a degree I can only describe as fascist, while containing stories that are almost exclusively ripped from Star Trek and a couple of other shows. It's like Star Trek, only the Federation is evil.
      I wasn't the greatest fan of Battlestar Galactica - it had some strengths, but also some pretty huge failings - but Stargate Universe is so obviously a rip-off that I'm embarrassed just to read about it. They're even imitating the camerawork.

I keep hoping for more good shows, but so far I haven't heard about anything that would make me want to see it. I am looking forward to the final season of Lost, which (despite some awful mistakes here and there) has consistently remained a serious and complex work of art with very well-written (if not always well-plotted) episodes. People get angry at it, and so do I at times, but despite the twists and the occasional nonsense, there is a lot of quality there.

And then there's the new season of Dollhouse, but my wife and I are mainly watching that to see if Whedon can turn it into something better. I'm not expecting too much.

If anyone has heard of some show that sounds really interesting, I'd love to know, too. TV has so much potential to tell great stories, but it's very rarely used to that effect.
      Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

I'm quite looking forward to ABC's Flash Forward, which begins on 9/24 I believe. I picked up the original novel a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so if the series remains true to the source material, it could have some potential. It's also got a good cast, and with Lost coming to an end this season, it's possible that ABC may be looking for its successor. We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

As was talked about in the V thread,

V To Have "A Beginning, A Middle, And An End"

ABC's Stephen McPherson today confirmed that V will be premiering with an order of 13 episodes at midseason. "We want to craft a whole series," McPherson said this morning when unveiling ABC's 2009-2010 schedule. "At this point we believe the show will be four parts, with each consisting of anywhere from 13 to 22 episodes," McPherson says. "It will have a beginning, middle and end."

ABC representatives have assured that Elizabeth Mitchell will be able to appear on LOST in addition to V next season, though she won't be a series regular on LOST. (With the frequent use of flashbacks on LOST, that shouldn't be considered a spoiler.)
          I'm certainly interested to see how well they keep to their 4 year plan, and if they get to the end...

First episode on November 3.

Comment

Fast Forward is one I'll be checking out. I'm not familiar with the book, but the concept sounds interesting and original -- two big plusses!

Alien invasions have never been big on my list of things I like in genre fiction for whatever reason. Because of that, V didn't catch my attention the first time around and I'll probably give it a pass this time, too. You never know, though.
            "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

I have to say that I really am liking GLEE, but I was a music nerd in high school, so the predisposition is there.

I'll be checking out COMMUNITY tonight, it looks like Chevy Chase might actually be funny again. Also looking forward to the premiers of FLASH FORWARD and EASTWICK.

I'll be returning for a new series of HEROES, though only to see if they can continue to pull themselves out of the dive they were starting to recover from in the last few episodes of last year. Anxiously awaiting DOLLHOUSE, and my morbid fascination with SMALLVILLE continues... sitting through three to five bad episodes for the occassional watchable one. Supposedly they're doing a "Justice Society" episode, so I'm amped for that.
              Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

I'll give Stargate: Universe a shot just because I'm a John Scalzi fan and I think he'll make sure that the science and continuity don't suck.

I'll also check out at least the first couple episodes of Flashforward just in case it turns out to be worthwhile.

I'm actually looking forward to AMC's remake/reimagining of The Prisoner. Now that their credibility has improved dramatically with Mad Men and Breaking Bad, I'm not as worried that this will be a low-budget travesty. The fact that Ian McKellen and Jim Caviezel are heading up the cast seals the deal for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
                  I'm quite looking forward to ABC's Flash Forward, which begins on 9/24 I believe. I picked up the original novel a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so if the series remains true to the source material, it could have some potential. It's also got a good cast, and with Lost coming to an end this season, it's possible that ABC may be looking for its successor. We'll just have to wait and see.
                  If you miss the first showing of FlashForward, ABC is having an encore showing on Friday (ditto for Modern Family and Cougar Town).
                  Mac Breck (KoshN)
                  ------------------
                  Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                  JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                  Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Looking forward to House tonight. In addition to enjoying each episode I've found this show pretty interesting in how the characters have developed over time, and I am hoping the current main plot thread

(spoiler)
                    (House is now a patient at a mental hospital due to his mental breakdown in last season's finale)

(end spoiler)

goes beyond the opening episode (I believe it does but I haven't read any spoilers for the upcoming season yet). This show has done a great job of keeping character changes consistent and permanent so I hope the good work continues through the next year (which is season six IIRC).

Comment

Well House was different. They did a TV movie to wrap up some threads and then it goes back to regular episodes next week. The movie covered a timespan of several weeks (a month or two?) in the recovery of House and there was only one other regular character in the movie but still well done. I was hoping some of these threads would last longer but it does look like at least one thread will keep running through the season:

House attempting to get his medical license back.

Looking forward to it!

Comment

Aaaannnnnddd... Eastwick has the honor of being the first new shop to get dropped off the DVR.
                        Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

So what's the verdict on Stargate Universe?

Comment

Originally posted by vakie View Post
                            So what's the verdict on Stargate Universe?
                            I got maybe 20 minutes into it and life intruded. Haven't gotten back there, yet. I have seen the first two eps of Flash Forward and I have to say, I'm liking more than I thought I would. I wasnot expecting a lot, but it is an interesting concept and the execution seems good so far.

Anybody else finding any keepers in the new crop of shows?

Comment

Originally posted by frulad View Post
                              my morbid fascination with SMALLVILLE continues... sitting through three to five bad episodes for the occassional watchable one.
                              Hehehe, I hear ya, brother! Same here...
                              Tho now, that a certain someone showed up on the new season's premiere (and I do NOT mean their version of M....o!!!) I do think it's gonna be a bit more entertaining...

Other than that I'm also into the new season of Heroes, which now shows some nice new twists concerning character development.
                              Also Supernatural, Californication and Two and a half Men.
                              Never heard of Flashforward before, but I'll look into it. Sounds interesting...
                              As for SG: Universe: Well, I'm not getting my hopes up. But I'll give it a try.
                              Except for Jewel being a part of it I couldn't stand Atlantis at all.
                              What's up Drakh?

Comment

Working...
                              X