Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Transformers review...

Michael Bay Finally Made An Art Movie

Critical consensus on Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen is overwhelmingly negative. But the critics are wrong. Michael Bay used a squillion dollars and a hundred supercomputers' worth of CG for a brilliant art movie about the illusory nature of plot.

Transformers: ROTF has mostly gotten pretty hideous reviews, but that's because people don't understand that this isn't a movie, in the conventional sense. It's an assault on the senses, a barrage of crazy imagery.

ROTF is like twenty summer movies, with unrelated storylines, smushed together into one crazy whole. You try in vain to understand how the pieces fit, you stare into the cracks between the narrative strands, until the cracks become chasms and the chasms become an abyss into which you stare until it looks deep into your own soul, and then you go insane.

And yet ù and here's the part where I really think ROTF approaches "art movie" status ù the movie's id overload reaches such crazy levels that the fabric of reality itself starts to break down. Michael Bay has boasted about how every single shot in the movie has so much stuff going on in it, it would take your PC since the dawn of time to render one frame. After a few hours of this assault, you feel the chair melt and the floor of the movie theater becomes an angry mirror into your soul. Nothing is solid, nothing is real, everything Transforms.

So, to sum up: Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen is one of the greatest achievements in the history of cinema, if not the greatest. You could easily argue that cinema, as an artform, has all been leading up to this. It will destabilize your limbic system, probably forever, and make you doubt the solidity of your surroundings. Generations of auteurs have struggled, in vain, to create a cinematic experience as overwhelming, and as liberating, as ROTF.
    I'm not sure I wanna spend my hard earned cash to go watch an art flick, I think I'll stick with mindless action films, thanks.. I don't really like when a movie makes you think about your own soul and your place in the universe, and deconstruct the theories of film making. Especially when it's disguised as a summer movie so it sneaks up on you with that sensory overload. Glad I dodged that bullet.

Originally posted by vakie View Post
    Michael Bay Finally Made An Art Movie

I'm not sure I wanna spend my hard earned cash to go watch an art flick, I think I'll stick with mindless action films, thanks.. I don't really like when a movie makes you think about your own soul and your place in the universe, and deconstruct the theories of film making. Especially when it's disguised as a summer movie so it sneaks up on you with that sensory overload. Glad I dodged that bullet.
    Although Manohla Dargis probably did not intend for her review to be funny, it reminded me of a Monte Python bit with a pretentious newsreader.

Invasion of the Robot Toys, Redux
    By MANOHLA DARGIS
    Published: June 24, 2009

The creative people behind the cretinous ôTransformers: Revenge of the Fallen,ö the second blockbuster inspired by the popular Hasbro toys, have segmented their demographic into four discrete categories:

1. Young teenage boys who still play with Transformer toys (or keep them under the bed).

2. Older teenage boys who identify with the professional doofus Shia LaBeouf.

3. Somewhat older teenage boys who would like to play with the professional hottie Megan Fox.

4. Boys of all ages who think it would be cool to go to war and run around the desert shooting guns.

Of course, viewers can embrace several categories at once; say, those who collect toys and liked Mr. LaBeouf in the last ôIndiana Jonesö movie. Or those who fantasize about having sex with Ms. Fox while shooting guns, a vision that distills the auteurist ambitions and popular appeal of the movieÆs director, Michael Bay.

And make no mistake: Mr. Bay is an auteur. His signature adorns every image in his movies, as conspicuously as that of Lars von Trier, and every single one is inscribed with a specific worldview and moral sensibility. ...

Comment

That was a funny review, though I'm not sure Michael Bay deserves funny reviews, even if they tear his films to a million pieces.
      Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

*Possible Spoilers*

Other than the blatantly racist stereotype robots, I had no problem with the film. If you've seen the first one, you know that to expect, so I don't get what all the negativity is about.
        http://www.andrewcardinale.com
        @acardi

Comment

Originally posted by JDSValen View Post
          *Possible Spoilers*
          blatantly racist stereotype robots,
          I haven't seen this yet, so...

What races, besides Autobot and Decepticon?

You mean robots talking with accents / using slang they picked up from listening to Earth radio?

If I did that, I'd speak e-bonic, too...
          "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid." -- Quantum Crook, Casey and Andy Webcomic

Comment

Not so much that, although speaking in slang and with a very "ghetto" accent, one of the two robots has a big gold tooth, both profess that they couldn't be bothered to learn to read, and have some facial features that some have construed as racial caricatures.

Personally, I think the heat is finally off George Lucas for Jar Jar.
            Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

I find it strangely amusing when characters that are supposedly offensive to black people (JarJar included) are voiced BY black people. (as is Mudflap, one of the two robots, the other being Spongebob.)

I have a theory about that. The theory is offensive to oversensitive people.
              "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid." -- Quantum Crook, Casey and Andy Webcomic

Comment

Working...
              X