Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow-Sentient
    replied
    Thanks guys. That's definitely some food for thought. I'll take a week to deliberate and tell you all what I decided once I get it.

Best,
    Daniel

Leave a comment:

• Bonehead
    replied
    Originally posted by LessonInMachismo
    I hear that Empire at War is supposed to be good. I don't play those types of games, though, so I couldn't comment myself.
    As a strategy game addict, I've played them all, and then some. I've even become pretty competant at customising/re-coding and re-building most games I own. This is known as 'modding' and I should add that there are some damn good Babylon 5 'mods' out there. The best by far is the Babylon 5 conversion of the old Star Trek Armada2 RTS game. Also, because they are made by the community, they are free to download (you just need to own the original game)

Anyway, recently I've been playing 'Empire at War' and I'd have to say it's pretty good. However, the 'off-the-shelf' game has some major bugs in it, and you should look online for the latest patches before playing it. Also, because it uses one of the best and newest game engines, you need a decent games pc to play it. (I owned the game 6 months without being able to play it, until I went out and spent รบ2300 on a high-end system.)
    Last edited by Bonehead; 08-21-2006, 04:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    What he said.

On the Other Games, I haven't really seen any RTS's for sci-fi lately. If you don't mind the 4X genre, there's a few titles (here and here) you might check out.

And since I'm pimping fringe games I might as well toss these guys a link as well.
    Last edited by Radhil; 08-20-2006, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadow-Sentient
    Why exactly is Knights of the Old Republic so good?
    The story, the scope and the pure coolness factor seem to be the primary reasons that people's collective opinion on this game is high. It's just a great RPG set in the SW universe.

And can you recommend any others?
    When it comes to SW games, it's easier to recommend games to avoid. But go with Battlefront II. Good, fun action with a wide variety of settings.

How about any of the other galactic empire building games out there?
    I hear that Empire at War is supposed to be good. I don't play those types of games, though, so I couldn't comment myself.

Leave a comment:

• Shadow-Sentient
    replied
    Originally posted by Radhil
    Now that I'll toast to. Magic on a disk, that one.
    You know ... I've been looking for a new gamr to play and I started looking at all of the Star Wars titles. Why exactly is Knights of the Old Republic so good? And can you recommend any others?

I tend to dig real-time strategy games. I have been playing Age of empires for years. Age III still hasn't lost it's charm for me. Also, I play some Neverwinter Nights but that has become a little dry since my online experience is limited to my wireless 54mbps. Once I move I will have decnt broadband again ... but then I will also have my fiance and I doubt I will want to spend as much time playing video games. Any interim advice would be helpful guys.

In lieu of an actual Babylon 5 game, I would take Star Wars. How about any of the other galactic empire building games out there? I know this is a loaded question but I thought it relevant considering your comments.

Best,
    Daniel

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    Originally posted by Ranger1
    The best Star Wars game ever (again, IMHO) is Knights of the Old Republic (the first the first).
    Now that I'll toast to. Magic on a disk, that one.

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1
    replied
    For little kids, maybe.

The best Star Wars game ever (again, IMHO) is Knights of the Old Republic (the first the first).

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    *laugh* What's not to like? All the cheesy action kept in, drama scenes cut to 20 seconds or less, and not a single voice to be had for any character. I was laughing as soon as my cousins had me playing it. I call it Star Wars: The Good Bits Version.

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1
    replied
    That and the latest one before it (forgot its name) are the worst Star Wars game ever released IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Garibaldi's Hair
    replied
    That game is class ... kept the kids amused for months (and Dad too for that matter). Number 2 (featuring the original trilogy movies) coming in less than a month now ... unless it's been delayed and I haven't noticed.

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    replied

The only way I can enjoy the prequels

Leave a comment:

• rallytbk
    replied
    Star Wars - Shortened: Online

In celebration of this summer's Star Wars season on Sky Movies, Sky have commissioned Star Wars - Shortened!

It's the world's only fully authorised, comedic performance of all six films in just 20 minutes. Added to this, we're giving away 20 tickets to this once-in-a-lifetime show!
    Not what you expected (a condenced version of all six movies), but that would have been nice too.

The compressed Star Wars Saga, which was specially commissioned by Sky TV, is going to be hosted in part online at the Sky Movies website. From August 21, "60 Second Star Wars" - the climax of the show - will be made live and freely available. Stay tuned for more updates.

http://www.skymovies.com/skymovies/a...230113,00.html
    But they will show all six movies starting:

Saturday 26th August
    8pm - Episode IV - A New Hope - Sky Movies 1

Saturday 2nd September
    8pm - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - Sky Movies 1

Saturday 9th September
    8pm - Episode VI - Return Of The Jedi - Sky Movies 1

Saturday 16th September
    8pm - Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Sky Movies 1

Saturday 23rd September
    8pm - Episode II - Attack Of The Clones - Sky Movies 1

Saturday 30th September
    8pm - Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith - Sky Movies 1

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Disappointing news on the Star Wars front coming from San Diego:

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story...ular_99418.asp

Leave a comment:

• manwithnoname
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    I have not, do not, and will not buy every version that the company puts out. As I mentioned before, I found the first release of the trilogy on DVD to be an outstanding buy. Three movies, one feature-length documentary and plenty of special features...that's a bargain. I never bought the THX and other releases of VHS as I was happy with my aforementioned ownership of the letterbox edition from 1989. They also wanted the newer editions for cut scenes and the like.
    There are different degrees, as evidenced from other posters here. Some are willing to buy depending on what's included in the latest special edition or whatever. The consumer types I listed by no means cover all different types of buyers, they're just some examples. Did you really want me to list all 100 or more differing types? Too much typing for me, thank you.

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    Come on, let's be honest. It's more like "Release as many versions to make all the cash we can by draining the wallets of our fan base."

And that's fine. Like you said...it's business, plain and simple.
    The willingness of consumers to have their wallets (or purses) drained is something I avoid at all...costs (pun intended).
    Last edited by manwithnoname; 05-08-2006, 08:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    replied
    I have only bought 4 movies on DVD that I already own on VHS: Akira, Batman, Batman Returns, and Slapshot.

I have no intention of replacing all my VHS movies on DVD, even though that Die Hard Trilogy on DVD with those behinds the scenes stuff looks real nifty.

On DVD, the only DVD I have bought twice was LotR: Fellowship of the Ring. When I got ready to watch it, a little flyer fell out advertising the release of the Extended Edition that November with commentaries, a documentary showing the making of, and all that real interesting stuff. I bought it grudingly a year and a half later. With the Two Towers and Return of the King, I waited for the Extended Edition.

With the availibility of the internet, from high speed connections and DHL connections at home, to public libraries that have 2 or 3 rows of computers, websites like Upcoming DVD Cover Art at the Digital Bits and Upcoming DVD releases from Joblo.com should constantly be used to plan our purchases, and also to be aware of the next double-dip the movie studios think people will do.

For this recent Star Wars, I will get this. The only discs I'll watch will be those that have the original versions. It's a much easier way than trying to get a bootlegged copy of the Laserdisc on DVD, one that doesn't come with Thai subtitles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X