No announcement yet.

Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just, please, don't get me started on the prequels. I can only hope that major damage control has been done with EPIII, although, even if it's the best of the best of SW films, it will always be diminished by the fact that too much time was wasted in I and II on FX and not enough time spent on characters and story.

A pay-off is always hurt by the lack of proper build-up to it.

As for the acting...please do not blame the actors...blame the one whose shoulders bear that burden...the director...as well as the screenwriter in this case (HMMMMM, both GL). All of the actors have been critically acclaimed for their talent in other films. It ain't their fault.

'Nough said.

CE
    Anthony Flessas
    Writer/Producer/Director,
    SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

• Okay...movie taste is subjective, but come on, how can any old school SW fan like myself actually like the garbage that are TPM and AOTC? I think people are in denial. To be honest, I am embarassed to be a SW fan due to those two pieces of rubbish.

And come on CE, you know as well as I do that ROTS will suck just as bad. You can tell they are desperate with all the Vader stuff. Don't be drawn in by the trailer, man. You will just be let down.

If it turns out that I am wrong, then great, I will admit it right here in this thread come this summer. But I can't be optimistic about this movie franchise.
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• I do admit that I will go into RotS with very little expectation. GL has seriously disappointed me, I will not lie.

The new pre-quels have been wrought with flaws and bad work. Yeah, they're pretty to look at, but it ain't a painting, it's a film...I want something called plot and character development.

Something GL has never been great at, and now seems to have lost all concept of.

If I want great filmmaking and plot and character with wonderous FX that help tell the story (not be the story), then I'll put in my LOTR Trilogy DVD's and watch them over and over.

Now that's the level SW could've been on. The difference between a visionary and a technicrat.

CE
        Anthony Flessas
        SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

• I'm new to the thread and I admit I haven't read the whole thing, so please forgive me for comments that might already have been made. IMO, GL should have listened to Ian Malcolm from "Jurassic Park". He said something to the effect that the scientists had been so busy asking what they could do that they forgot to ask what they should do. To me, it feels like GL is so enamoured with the capabilities of effects, that he lets them dominate the movie. Each scene is so busy with background animation and effects that you can't focus on what's important. Sometimes more is just more. There's a lot to be said for quiet, intense dialog with extreme closups, even in an action movie. In the new movies, that doesn't happen much becuase there'd be no room to put a ship or a speeder or an alien moving in the background. Also, I think his reliance significant changes in post and on technology to add people to scenes after the fact, often makes the story telling disjointed, not to mention expensive. I don't think he's getting very good value for his production dollar.
          "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

• Come on people!!! RotS will own!!! the Emperor with a Lightsaber
            Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

• I might enjoy the last prequel, since I have zero expectations for a good plot and know that the visual aspect of RoTS will be amazing, but that's exactly how I approached Matrix: Revolutions and that still disappointed me...

The problem with the prequels were that they seemed more a marketing vehicle for merchandising to children (only that can explain Jar Jar to me).

And the keyword in all of this might well be "children."
              George Lucas might only be capable of writing movies that children would love.
              It worked for our generation, no?
              Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
              James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

• <<The problem with the prequels were that they seemed more a marketing vehicle for merchandising to children (only that can explain Jar Jar to me).>>

Some would tell you that Jar Jar was "The Fool" or "The Idiot" sidekick archetype in the Hero's Journey.
                Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                  <<The problem with the prequels were that they seemed more a marketing vehicle for merchandising to children (only that can explain Jar Jar to me).>>

Some would tell you that Jar Jar was "The Fool" or "The Idiot" sidekick archetype in the Hero's Journey.
                  Not buyin' it. Nope. The only fool or idiot was GL for creating him.
                  Anthony Flessas
                  SP Pictures

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
                    I might enjoy the last prequel, since I have zero expectations for a good plot and know that the visual aspect of RoTS will be amazing, but that's exactly how I approached Matrix: Revolutions and that still disappointed me...

The problem with the prequels were that they seemed more a marketing vehicle for merchandising to children (only that can explain Jar Jar to me).

And the keyword in all of this might well be "children."
                    George Lucas might only be capable of writing movies that children would love.
                    It worked for our generation, no?
                    Sorry, Capt. while the OT was done in such a way that children could and did enjoy them...they weren't written for children. They were written in a timeless manner that allowed all ages to be spoken to. They did not talk down to the infant level as the PT has done (a fact that has caused him some problems with RotS, since now his audience is kiddie and this film had to be very dark).

And WorkerCaste has hit it on the head. Plot and character are no longer important to GL...actually, if you look at most of his films, they have never been important.

While I deeply respect GL for what he's brought to the industry as far as technology and science...I will freely admitt that he's no director...and should've stayed out of the big chair.

CE
                    Anthony Flessas
                    SP Pictures

Comment

• Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                      <<The problem with the prequels were that they seemed more a marketing vehicle for merchandising to children (only that can explain Jar Jar to me).>>

And maybe that explains C3PO... but that doesn't explain why Lucas had to have Anakin build C3PO (that stretches credulity, seriously), and then add a much more annoying fool (Jar Jar) when he already had that archetype filler character.

I would agree, in a qualified manner, with CE, the original Star Wars trilogy wasn't written for children, but maybe it's hindsight and the (unfair?) comparison I can draw now with many SF sagas (from the written world, hence the "unfair" question) that makes me feel SW is not as good as it seemed to me back then.

I submit to everyone's consideration the following: Empire Strikes Back is usually considered one of the best, and it was not written nor directed by Lucas. In fact one of the screenwriters for ESB was a recognized SF author, Leigh Bracket.
                      To me that explains a lot of why that movie was so good and the original trilogy ending was just OK...
                      Lucas however lost the chance to involve again screenwriters with SF credentials and leave the direction to better directors.
                      Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                      James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

• A side note,Clone Wars animted series will be out on DVD on March 2005.

Comment

• Amidst all of this B5 news, both good and bad, this totally slipped my mind. My friend IM'd me the other day with this news and I forgot to post it:

http://www.iesb.net/movies2/movie121004.php

Comment

• Wowowowoowwow!!!!!!!
                            I have a mix feeling about this,i love Kevin Smith i really do,but as comedian and a director of comedian movies (those heavy flicks like Jersey girl were good but a bit heavy for me).

Now there's no other person on this earth that know star wars better then him (Do you the Alliance killed innocent civilians on the death star when it blew up? lol).

Well,this should be interesting

Comment

• I keep having a bad feeling about a Star Wars series, even if I often like series better than movies, Babylon 5 is the perfect example of that. If they do make a Star Wars series, I hope it's up to the level and beauty of Babylon 5. That will be really difficult though. I also hope it's after episode 6, which it sounds like it may be.

Comment

• If that rumor is true,then it will probably be after Episode 6,since we are going to see Mark Hamill (Luke) himself poping out once in a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X