Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ranger1
    If you have the VHS why you wanna buy this version of the movies? they are not as high quality as the remastered SE's dvd's, as much as i understand they are presented in 2.0 Dolby only.... better stick to your VHS and wait for the HD version.
    I'm not really sure where this whole "they're going to look crappy" meme originated, but I find it hard to believe. Remember that the films' original negatives were painstakenly restored prior to work on the Special Editions. I'm assuming that these are the ones they'll go to for the transfer. As for the audio being only 2.0? That's what the audio was originally anyway!

Me? I'm thrilled. No more Greedo shoots first, rediculous amount of windows in Cloud City, stupid firerings (ripped off from Star Trek 6) when Alderaan and the Death Stars explode, crap CG Jabba, etc...
    Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

• Originally posted by frulad
      Me? I'm thrilled. No more Greedo shoots first, rediculous amount of windows in Cloud City, stupid firerings (ripped off from Star Trek 6) when Alderaan and the Death Stars explode, crap CG Jabba, etc...
      Oh, man...this is making me hot. I want those DVDs now!
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• So let me get this straight ... they are now going to release the original versions in 2-disk sets that also include the SEs? Woo-Hoo.

That choice was all I ever really wanted in the first place, so maybe I will finally take the plunge and buy SW on DVD after all.
        The Optimist: The glass is half full
        The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
        The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

• Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
          I watched my letterbox edition of the trilogy from 1990 on my 52" HDTV. Looked great. The DVDs will be fine. I'll buy them and HD or Blu-ray whenever they come out, too.
          Please don't take this as an attack, Z'Dweller. However, Z'Dweller presents another facet of Star Wars' consumers. Star Wars' fans, not all, will buy every version the company puts out. This is by no means is a bad thing. Consumers have different likes/dislikes or needs/wants, however one chooses to...view it.

I worked at Blockbuster (many years ago; I hated it). I saw many customers pay full retail (they could've went across the street, literally, to Circuit City and paid less) for different versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy: theatrical version, collector's edition, and extended-cut version. The customer admitting they owned all versions of the same movie.

Business POV: Release as many versions to satisfy a very diverse group of consumers.

Consumer base #1 POV: "I will buy it all. No problem."

Consumer base #2 POV: "You're driving me crazy. Stop re-releasing, re-packaging, re-editing, and /or re-special editionalizing my movie(s). All you're doing is trying to bleed me dry. Stop re-reaming me! Aaaargh!"

And so on...

See, the thing is, as long as these movies sell in sufficient quantities this company will continue selling "new" or "updated" versions of their movies. It's business, plain & simple.

Frustrating to some, and satisfying to others.

Oh yeah, I don't own ANY Star Wars movie.
          Last edited by manwithnoname; 05-06-2006, 10:56 PM.
          "I am just a worthless liar. I am just an embecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall as well. I will find a center in you; I will chew it up and leave. I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over!" TOOL

Comment

• Originally posted by manwithnoname
            See, the thing is, as long as these movies sell in sufficient quantities this company will continue selling "new" or "updated" versions of their movies. It's business, plain & simple.

Frustrating to some, and satisfying to others.

Oh yeah, I don't own ANY Star Wars movie.
            Nor do I but I'm likely to buy this latest set just for comparison purposes.

As to the multiple releases of things and those who buy them, I think there are different dynamics at work that cause people to buy different releases.

One major one that the studios caught on to most noticeably when DVDs were becoming popular was to add perceived value to the new release. This can take the form of better quality, commentaries and interviews, lost scenes, bloopers, you name it. This approach would reach people who are into having the latest and greatest as well as the fans who want more insight or like behind-the-scenes glimpses of the movie/show they like.

Another dynamic is the collector impulse. The collector will pick up every version and limited edition and super remastered version just because they're different. The perceived value is in their differentness. This would also reach the fans who want to show support for their show in hopes of something new being made.

Personally, I can't see doing it for Star Wars but then I look around the house and see my B5 tapes right next to my B5 DVDs and then the script collection across the room from the script books and I know that if JMS announced a novelization of the show tomorrow, I'd be the first one standing in line as soon as the bookstore opened on the day the first book came out. And yeah, I've got all of the novels and movie novelizations, too, so I can sympathize/empathize with those whose prefered universe is different.

Would I buy another set of B5 DVDs or whatever the next technology upgrade is? I dunno. Guess it depends on what's different about them.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Im like that with B5 and to some degree Star Wars (never owned SW on VHS, used to have copies that my friends made for me since i was a kid), im pretty sure ill buy B5 HD's when they will come out IF they will fix that ratio thingy, boy that sucked.

When The Gathering first came out i got it, but now i have the special edition that comes with the movies pack, from my POV its terrific.
              Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

• Please don't take this as an attack, Z'Dweller. However, Z'Dweller presents another facet of Star Wars' consumers.
                I think you're ignorantly, completely, and unequivocally wrong, kind sir. While being one of the most knowledgeable persons on Star Wars in the world, I am also one of its biggest critics, primarily in the realm of Lucas's Special Editions and prequel films. I have not, do not, and will not buy every version that the company puts out. As I mentioned before, I found the first release of the trilogy on DVD to be an outstanding buy. Three movies, one feature-length documentary and plenty of special features...that's a bargain. I never bought the THX and other releases of VHS as I was happy with my aforementioned ownership of the letterbox edition from 1989.

But there are people who will buy multiple versions -- even at full SRP -- and they should be looked at apathetically. Who cares how they spend their cash? Unless I am familiar with these people, that is. Even my direct family members aren't as fiscal-minded as myself, so I of course would suggest to them an alternative place of purchase for their desired goods. There were people who bought the LOTR DVDs right away because they wanted to watch the movie in their homes. They also wanted the newer editions for cut scenes and the like.

Business POV: Release as many versions to satisfy a very diverse group of consumers.
                Come on, let's be honest. It's more like "Release as many versions to make all the cash we can by draining the wallets of our fan base."

And that's fine. Like you said...it's business, plain and simple.
                Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

• I have only bought 4 movies on DVD that I already own on VHS: Akira, Batman, Batman Returns, and Slapshot.

I have no intention of replacing all my VHS movies on DVD, even though that Die Hard Trilogy on DVD with those behinds the scenes stuff looks real nifty.

On DVD, the only DVD I have bought twice was LotR: Fellowship of the Ring. When I got ready to watch it, a little flyer fell out advertising the release of the Extended Edition that November with commentaries, a documentary showing the making of, and all that real interesting stuff. I bought it grudingly a year and a half later. With the Two Towers and Return of the King, I waited for the Extended Edition.

With the availibility of the internet, from high speed connections and DHL connections at home, to public libraries that have 2 or 3 rows of computers, websites like Upcoming DVD Cover Art at the Digital Bits and Upcoming DVD releases from Joblo.com should constantly be used to plan our purchases, and also to be aware of the next double-dip the movie studios think people will do.

For this recent Star Wars, I will get this. The only discs I'll watch will be those that have the original versions. It's a much easier way than trying to get a bootlegged copy of the Laserdisc on DVD, one that doesn't come with Thai subtitles.
                  RIP Coach Larry Finch
                  Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                  Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

• Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                    I have not, do not, and will not buy every version that the company puts out. As I mentioned before, I found the first release of the trilogy on DVD to be an outstanding buy. Three movies, one feature-length documentary and plenty of special features...that's a bargain. I never bought the THX and other releases of VHS as I was happy with my aforementioned ownership of the letterbox edition from 1989. They also wanted the newer editions for cut scenes and the like.
                    There are different degrees, as evidenced from other posters here. Some are willing to buy depending on what's included in the latest special edition or whatever. The consumer types I listed by no means cover all different types of buyers, they're just some examples. Did you really want me to list all 100 or more differing types? Too much typing for me, thank you.

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                    Come on, let's be honest. It's more like "Release as many versions to make all the cash we can by draining the wallets of our fan base."

And that's fine. Like you said...it's business, plain and simple.
                    The willingness of consumers to have their wallets (or purses) drained is something I avoid at all...costs (pun intended).
                    Last edited by manwithnoname; 05-08-2006, 09:27 PM.
                    "I am just a worthless liar. I am just an embecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall as well. I will find a center in you; I will chew it up and leave. I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over!" TOOL

Comment

• Disappointing news on the Star Wars front coming from San Diego:

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story...ular_99418.asp

Comment

• Star Wars - Shortened: Online

In celebration of this summer's Star Wars season on Sky Movies, Sky have commissioned Star Wars - Shortened!

It's the world's only fully authorised, comedic performance of all six films in just 20 minutes. Added to this, we're giving away 20 tickets to this once-in-a-lifetime show!
                        Not what you expected (a condenced version of all six movies), but that would have been nice too.

The compressed Star Wars Saga, which was specially commissioned by Sky TV, is going to be hosted in part online at the Sky Movies website. From August 21, "60 Second Star Wars" - the climax of the show - will be made live and freely available. Stay tuned for more updates.

http://www.skymovies.com/skymovies/a...230113,00.html
                        But they will show all six movies starting:

Saturday 26th August
                        8pm - Episode IV - A New Hope - Sky Movies 1

Saturday 2nd September
                        8pm - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - Sky Movies 1

Saturday 9th September
                        8pm - Episode VI - Return Of The Jedi - Sky Movies 1

Saturday 16th September
                        8pm - Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Sky Movies 1

Saturday 23rd September
                        8pm - Episode II - Attack Of The Clones - Sky Movies 1

Saturday 30th September
                        8pm - Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith - Sky Movies 1
                        "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

• The only way I can enjoy the prequels
                          RIP Coach Larry Finch
                          Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                          Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

• That game is class ... kept the kids amused for months (and Dad too for that matter). Number 2 (featuring the original trilogy movies) coming in less than a month now ... unless it's been delayed and I haven't noticed.
                            The Optimist: The glass is half full
                            The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                            The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

• That and the latest one before it (forgot its name) are the worst Star Wars game ever released IMHO.
                              Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

• *laugh* What's not to like? All the cheesy action kept in, drama scenes cut to 20 seconds or less, and not a single voice to be had for any character. I was laughing as soon as my cousins had me playing it. I call it Star Wars: The Good Bits Version.
                                Radhil Trebors
                                Persona Under Construction

Comment

Working...
                                X