Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Comics?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Other Comics?

    I'm surprised there's not more discussion given the fanbase here. Does anyone else read other comics aside from what JMS writes? My favorites right now are:

    1. Invincible - Written by Robert Kirkman. It's very cute and funny...kinda has the vibe of "spider-man, if he actually developed as a character and plot progressed." Was skeptical at first because it's a little bit cartooney in terms of the art, but it definitely won me over and I went out and bought all the trades within a month of starting it.

    2. X-Factor - PAD's book for Marvel right now. Super good. It's got a lot of depth to it and you might want to start at the beginning here. Has anyone read his "fallen angel?" I'm interested to see what that's all about.

    Those are my favorites outside of The Twelve and Thor right now. I read a lot of stuff aside from that though. Spider-girl is pretty good, very old-school storytelling style if you're nostalgic for those days. Anything by Ed Brubaker is excellent (captain america, daredevil, uncanny x-men, criminal). And I can't help but pick up the avengers line and ultimate spidey.

    What about you guys?
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

  • #2
    I've been reading the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter comics and I'm about to start picking up Peter David's Sir Apropos books.

    Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

    Comment


    • #3
      Buffy: Season 8. I watched the show so I wanted to continue with the story. I've liked that the characters each have their own way of speaking and I can hear them in my head as if I were watching the show. You get to do whatever you want in comic form that would be crazy-expensive to do in a t.v. series format, so it opens up different kinds of stories. I look forward to each new issue so that is a good thing. I've read that a Season 9 is probably going to happen so I'm looking forward to that.

      I also have been reading Angel: After the Fall. I found those harder to follow. They started telling the story, but then went back to fill in what each character was doing leading up to the where the comics started in Issue #1. That sort of broke up the flow of the story for me and I haven't been able to get back into the mood yet. I'll have to re-read them from the beginning and try to piece things together. I thought it was just me, but my friend is also having a bit of a hard time following things as well. I want to see the season completed so I'll continued to get them, but I'm not sure if I'll continue after this season is done.

      I was also reading Book of Lost Souls by JMS, but I was disappointed that it ended too soon.
      Flying around the room under my own power.

      Comment


      • #4
        I enjoy all the comics posted except Anita Blake. I read the books as they came out and got burnt out after awhile. Westfield comics is have a 50% off sale on back issues this weekend, so I just ordered a bunch of Scooby Doos, Disney, and Cartoon Network comics for my daughter.
        Last edited by Karen; 11-28-2008, 04:15 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Karen View Post
          I enjoy all the comics posted except Anita Blake. I read the books as they came out and got burnt out after awhile.
          Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It's interesting to see how they've taken the books and turned them into the comic though. Don't know how long I might stick with it but it was worth a try.

          Disappointingly, my comic shop didn't have the Sir Apropos comic so he's having to order it.

          Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

          Comment


          • #6
            The current run of Action comics and Superman is really good.

            Also with the movie coming out, I've seen Watchmen trade paperbacks in comic book stores, and bookstores. Well worth every penny. If you haven't read it you should.

            Karen - I don't know how old your kids are, but mine just love the Tiny Titans from DC comics. Really funny stuff.
            What a wonderful world you live in. -
            Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm 39 and I love Tiny Titans. Great all ages book.
              Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the tip. I think I've spent enough on back issues for now, but I'll start ordering them for her in the future.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Spoo Junky View Post
                  Buffy: Season 8. I watched the show so I wanted to continue with the story. I've liked that the characters each have their own way of speaking and I can hear them in my head as if I were watching the show. You get to do whatever you want in comic form that would be crazy-expensive to do in a t.v. series format, so it opens up different kinds of stories. I look forward to each new issue so that is a good thing. I've read that a Season 9 is probably going to happen so I'm looking forward to that.

                  I also have been reading Angel: After the Fall. I found those harder to follow. They started telling the story, but then went back to fill in what each character was doing leading up to the where the comics started in Issue #1. That sort of broke up the flow of the story for me and I haven't been able to get back into the mood yet. I'll have to re-read them from the beginning and try to piece things together. I thought it was just me, but my friend is also having a bit of a hard time following things as well. I want to see the season completed so I'll continued to get them, but I'm not sure if I'll continue after this season is done.

                  I was also reading Book of Lost Souls by JMS, but I was disappointed that it ended too soon.

                  Yeah I've enjoyed the buffy season 8 deal. Definitely took things in a direction that would have never worked on TV. Of course getting a Fray "continuation" was a nice bonus too.

                  I also agree about the angel deal. I just couldn't get into the book, though I really wanted to.
                  Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                  True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Karen View Post
                    I enjoy all the comics posted except Anita Blake. I read the books as they came out and got burnt out after awhile. Westfield comics is have a 50% off sale on back issues this weekend, so I just ordered a bunch of Scooby Doos, Disney, and Cartoon Network comics for my daughter.
                    I could take a sheet of blank paper, wipe my ass with it, and the result would be better than the quality of the last half-dozen Anita Blake books.

                    LKH is a personal "favorite" of mine. And by that, I mean I could go on and on for pages of text about just how ridiculous and terrible of a writer she has become.
                    "I don't find myself in the same luxury as you. You grew up in freedom, and you can spit on freedom, because you don't know what it is not to have freedom." ---Ayaan Hirsi Ali

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Karachi Vyce View Post
                      LKH is a personal "favorite" of mine. And by that, I mean I could go on and on for pages of text about just how ridiculous and terrible of a writer she has become.
                      It's kinda fascinating (in a peek-through-your-fingers kind of way) to see just how close she skirts the edge of flat-out porn.

                      Funny how many books seem to be becoming comics these days. Peter David's Sir Apropos, Robert Asprin's Myth series. I'm betting there are others I don't know about.

                      Jan
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Steven King's Dark Tower and The Stand and Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game books/series are all currently being adapted or expanded upon by Marvel, so there are some examples for you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The 90's turned me off to buying individual issues so I only buy trades or hardcovers.

                          I picked up Volume 5 of Rex Mundi, Volume 11 of Fables, and Scud The Disposable Assassin: The Whole Shebang. Once I can find a copy of the Starman Omnibus I'm buying it.

                          I'm considering Y the Last Man and The Walking Dead.
                          RIP Coach Larry Finch
                          Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                          Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jan View Post
                            It's kinda fascinating (in a peek-through-your-fingers kind of way) to see just how close she skirts the edge of flat-out porn.
                            Oh, they basically ARE porn now. That's why she's so godawful - her Blake series has literally de-evolved to the point where the plot is pretty much an afterthought that's shoehorned in between poorly written sex scenes featuring Anita and a rather large menagerie of various monster paramours.

                            I've said it before, but I have NEVER seen an author so completely sell out their own characters and series as she has.

                            Funny how many books seem to be becoming comics these days. Peter David's Sir Apropos, Robert Asprin's Myth series. I'm betting there are others I don't know about.

                            Jan
                            Marvel's putting out a lot of them these days, and I have to assume there's a good enough market for them because they keep publishing them. I recommend picking up the Dresden comics, based on Jim Butcher's book series. I'm not sure if Marvel's the one publishing it, but right now the adaption of his first Dresden novel "Storm Front" has just started.

                            I'm a huge comic book nerd, but for the most part, at the moment I'm heavily burnt out on the majority of Marvel & D.C., primarily because they've done the "Big Event" crap to the point of insanity, and it's just become too damn wearisome. Marvel's worse at that nonsense than D.C., but damn if D.C. hasn't enthusiastically tried to catch up. I loathe Joe Quesada, but Dan Didio is trying very hard to follow in his footsteps
                            "I don't find myself in the same luxury as you. You grew up in freedom, and you can spit on freedom, because you don't know what it is not to have freedom." ---Ayaan Hirsi Ali

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Aside from my interest in James Robinson's Starman series, the only DC stuff I've made a habit of getting is in their Vertigo line.
                              RIP Coach Larry Finch
                              Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                              Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X