Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Detlefsen
    replied
    IÆll second ôCaves of Steel,ö and add ZelaznyÆs ôNine Princes in Amber,ö as well as the others of the original Amber series.

Also thrown out for consideration:

Cliff SimakÆs ôWay Stationö
    James SchmitzÆs ôThe Witches of Karresö
    Alexei PanshinÆs ôRite of Passageö
    James BlishÆs ôJack of Eaglesö
    Henry KuttnerÆs ôGallegherö series might do (scientist gets drunk, canÆt remember what his inventions do)
    Leigh BrackettÆs ôSea-Kings of Marsö (aka ôSword of Rhiannonö)

Leave a comment:

• I love Lyta
    replied
    Yeah, I know. It was just a fictional idea, pretending that he's still around.

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by I love Lyta View Post
    Oh, and the Techno Mage-, or the Legions of Fire Trilogy of course!
    Can't have Legions of Fire. G'Kar/Andreas figures in it heavily.

Leave a comment:

• I love Lyta
    replied
    Originally posted by Talwyn View Post
    Raymond E. Feists openning trilogy of his Midkemia fantasy series, "Magician, Silverthorn',& A Darkness at Sethanon" would again make for fantastic cinema.
    Yeah, I'd second that!

I would like to see Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe as a movie.

Seriously though, Stephan Grundy's Rhinegold would make for a great multi part movie.

Oh, and the Techno Mage-, or the Legions of Fire Trilogy of course!

Leave a comment:

• Talwyn
    replied
    I'll 2nd DoomShepards nomination of Niven & Pournelle's most excellent novel of an alien invasion of Earth, "Footfall" to be made into a movie. It would blow ID4 away!

Next I would like to see another Niven & Pournelle master piece, "The Mote in Gods Eye" get a good film treatment.

Following that, David Gemmels novel, "Legend" would be a jaw dropper if perhaps it were written by JMS and directed by Peter Jackson. I'd also add in "The Chronicles of the Jeurasalem Man" as another excellent Gemmel series that would make for a great movie trilolgy.

I'd also would add my vote for the Stainless Steel Rat books to be made into films.

And finally, Raymond E. Feists openning trilogy of his Midkemia fantasy series, "Magician, Silverthorn',& A Darkness at Sethanon" would again make for fantastic cinema.

Leave a comment:

• Doom Shepherd
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr Maturin View Post
    Oh, I'm sure it would. Kind of like how everything gets play there as everywhere else in this country...

*Sigh* My humor is wasted on everyone except me.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Morrow's "Towing Jehovah." - that'd never get play in the Bible Belt...
    Oh, I'm sure it would. Kind of like how everything gets play there as everywhere else in this country...

Leave a comment:

• NotSoWize
    replied
    I'll third the Stainless Steel Rat books. I've always thought the opening scene from the first (written) book would make an amazing start to a movie.

I'm 2/3rds through John Varley's Gaea trilogy again and it would be great if someone like HBO or Showtime picked it up and allowed the nudity and sexuality to stick around. How they'd replicate an environment where the gravity is primarily 1/4 Earth's would be a challenge though!

Oh yeah, a little graphic novel called Watchmen might make a decent movie if it ever gets released!

Leave a comment:

• Doom Shepherd
    replied
    "Footfall." by Niven & Pournelle

"Fallen Angels" by Niven, Pournelle, and Flynn (Should be a part of a double feature with Chrichton's "State of Fear.")

Asimov's "Caves of Steel" books with Lije Baley and R. Daneel Olivaw.

Morrow's "Towing Jehovah." - that'd never get play in the Bible Belt...
    Last edited by Doom Shepherd; 11-03-2008, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    The first four STAINLESS STEEL RAT books by Harry Harrison
    Yeah! But what do you mean by first four? I think the origin story books ...Is Born and ...Gets Drafted would make excellent movies.

I would like to see Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power made into a movie. Terrorists seize the White House while the president and his aides flee to a bunker. CIA operative Mitch Rapp has to beat the clock before the terrorists break into the bunker.

More from the Aubrey-Maturin series of novels. Russell Crowe has expressed interest. Since the film was an amalgam of several novels, they'd be able to do the same thing with another movie. I'd like it if they primarily based it on the second book in the series, Post Captain. The first half almost has a Jane Austen feel to it. And Keira Knightley would have to play Diana Villiers.

State of Fear by Michael Crichton.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    I liked THE PROBABILITY MAN series by BRIAN N BALL

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by Lunan View Post
    well a basic topic, what book or books or series would you like to see turned into a movie?
    The Dresden Files (all of the books):
    Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
    Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2)
    Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
    Summer Knight: (The Dresden Files, Book 4)
    Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5)
    Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, Book 6)
    Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, Book 7)
    Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8)
    White Night (The Dresden Files, Book 9)
    Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10)

Cast correctly this time, faithful to the books. IMHO, Paul Blackthorne would be A-OK to reprise his role as Harry Dresden (from the aborted TV series), and Joanne Kelly could stay as Bianca, but Valerie Cruz can't be Murphy and Rebecca McFarland can't be Susan Rodriguez. Terrence Mann can still voice Bob, and Conrad Coates can still be Morgan. Raoul Bhaneja's gotta go, or at least become one of the lower level SI cops.

Here's an idea for casting Thomas Raith and Lord Raith:

Thomas Raith: Judson Scott (the long haired "Knight Two" from Babylon 5's "And the Sky Full of Stars")

Lord Raith: Jeremy Irons

Leave a comment:

• Lunan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    I don't know for sure this is accurate but I'd heard that Anne McCaffrey spiked at least one attempt when it strayed from the real Pern. That's a hopeful sign.

Jan
    The Lady has spiked at least 4! different versions when what they were doing fell too far from the source, i honestly think we won't see it till after she is gone, which is extremely sad, and i have no doubt todd will insist on having the same kind of control as his mother has always had on pern, on a different note, restoree and crystal singer are oth under option at this time, not cs had been optioned before and nothing came from it, but restoree, that could be interesting

Leave a comment:

• frulad
    replied
    Originally posted by AstroBoy View Post
    Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
    Sadly, at the time of his death Don S Davis was in the process of optioning the rights to this for a potential TV series.

Jan
    Awww, crap. Really? Man. I've always thought that Callahan's could be a great TV series. And now that I read that about Don Davis, I could totally see him as Callahan...

Leave a comment:

• babylonlurker
    replied
    Oh, I love "The Ship Who Sang"! That was the first McCaffrey I ever read.

Jan
    Yes - it is a beautiful story, and she told it was inspired by a family tragedy. She was close to breaking down while reading (near the end) - and told the audience that it was the first time since she wrote it that she could read all the way through it without breaking down

I wish I had had my recorder going at that session. It was very powerful having the author herself reading it.

I am just *so* glad I got to the reading

Leave a comment:

Working...
X