X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NotSoWize
    replied
    RESOLVED, May 6th is the Day!

Well, let's hope Watchmen rocks, because it's coming out on March 6th just as planned!

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/01/16...ach-agreement/

Leave a comment:

• vakie
    replied
    Warners, Fox settle over 'Watchmen'

Official statement to follow...

Leave a comment:

• raw_bean
    replied
    Understandable. I'm pretty excited, but at the same time tempering my expectations. At the end of the day, the book will still exist and I'll be (relatively) happy if I get to see some of my favourite scenes/lines/characters/images brought to life well, but I'm not expecting it to be to comic book films what the original was to comics.

Leave a comment:

• Karachi Vyce
    replied
    I mean, I probably should be excited. It's a pretty big comic book film, and the trailer did look good.

But I've got a nagging feeling about this, and the fact that they changed the ending doesn't sit well with me at all.

Leave a comment:

• raw_bean
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr Maturin View Post
    Obviously, I was quipping.
    Hence why I started my reply with a laugh: 'Haha'.

Originally posted by Karachi Vyce View Post
    You know, I just really am not all that excited about this film.
    Thanks for sharing, I guess.

For those of us who are, fingers crossed for the settlement talks.

Leave a comment:

• Karachi Vyce
    replied
    You know, I just really am not all that excited about this film.

Leave a comment:

• NotSoWize
    replied
    Nice find, Vakie!

The answer is "yes" WB should benefit from their support (assuming the film winds up being successful). Unfortunately, it really does look like Fox is correct about actually possessing distribution rights. It's really a combination of WBs attorneys/Larry Gordon somehow dismissing Fox's claims back when they were served notice prior to starting shooting on the film.

And now it looks like the studios are at least starting to try to work things out. Let's hope this all blows over and turns into great advance publicity!

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009-...lks-productive

Here's a link to Larry Gordon's response to all of this. Not particularly informative reading unfortunately.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...fa53ab98a5d08c
    Last edited by NotSoWize; 01-09-2009, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vakie
    replied
    Interesting insight from Watchmen producer Lloyd Levin:

From my point of view, the flashpoint of this dispute, came in late spring of 2005. Both Fox and Warner Brothers were offered the chance to make Watchmen. They were submitted the same package, at the same time. It included a cover letter describing the project and its history, budget information, a screenplay, the graphic novel, and it made mention that a top director was involved.

And it's at this point, where the response from both parties could not have been more radically different.

The response we got from Fox was a flat "pass." That's it. An internal Fox email documents that executives there felt the script was one of the most unintelligible pieces of shit they had read in years. Conversely, Warner Brothers called us after having read the script and said they were interested in the movie - yes, they were unsure of the screenplay, and had many questions, but wanted to set a meeting to discuss the project, which they promptly did. Did anyone at Fox ask to meet on the movie? No. Did anyone at Fox express any interest in the movie? No. Express even the slightest interest in the movie? Or the graphic novel? No.

From there, the executives at Warner Brothers, who weren't yet completely comfortable with the movie, made a deal to acquire the movie rights and we all started to creatively explore the possibility of making Watchmen. We discussed creative approaches and started offering the movie to directors, our former director having moved on by then. After a few director submissions, Zack Snyder came onboard, well before the release of his movie 300. In fact, well before its completion. This was a gut, creative call by Larry, me and the studio... Zack didn't have a huge commercial track record, yet we all felt he was the right guy for the movie.

Warner Brothers continued to support, both financially and creatively, the development of the movie. And eventually, after over a year of work, they agreed to make the film, based on a script that, for what it's worth, was by and large very similar to the one Fox initially read and deemed an unintelligible piece of shit.

Now here's the part that has to be fully appreciated, if for nothing more than providing insight into producing movies in Hollywood: The Watchmen script was way above the norm in length, near 150 pages, meaning the film could clock in at close to 3 hours, the movie would not only be R rated but a hard R - for graphic violence and explicit sex - would feature no stars, and had a budget north of $100M. We also asked Warner Brothers to support an additional 1 to 1.5 hours of content incurring additional cost that would tie in with the movie but only be featured in DVD iterations of the film. Warners supported the whole package and I cannot begin to emphasize how ballsy and unprecedented a move this was on the part of a major Hollywood studio. Unheard of. And would another studio in Hollywood, let alone a studio that didn't show one shred of interest in the movie, not one, have taken such a risk? Would they ever have made such a commitment, a commitment to a film that defied all conventional wisdom?

Only the executives at Fox can answer that question. But if they were to be honest, their answer would have to be "No."

Shouldn't Warner Brothers be entitled to the spoils - if any -- of the risk they took in supporting and making Watchmen? Should Fox have any claim on something they could have had but chose to neither support nor show any interest in?
    http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-...hmen-producers

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Obviously, I was quipping.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    WB has to get Fox into a similar situation, then both companies can settle out of court.

Leave a comment:

• raw_bean
    replied
    Haha, personally I'm crossing my fingers that that won't be necessary and that the film will be in theatres as planned. These are the links I meant, just quoting my sources:

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/01/07...men-countdown/

http://www.filmesq.com/2009/01/watch...new-moves.html

The latter includes a link to a pdf of the original court document.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by raw_bean View Post
    If I remember I'll add links later.
    To torrents, right?

Leave a comment:

• raw_bean
    replied
    The latest is that the two parties have agreed to drop all other issues for the time being and make the trial (hopefully now brought forward to the 12th) solely about determining (by judge's ruling rather than drawn out jury process) whether Fox have the right to stop WB releasing the film. If WB win that, Fox are still able to sue for damages or a share of the profits or whatever they want later, but the film will come out. If Fox win, they can shut it down, and whether it would ever be released would be up in the air, and would be reliant on some kind of deal between the two (Fox would own the IP rights, but WB would still own the produced work, simply be unable to do anything with it). If I remember I'll add links later.

Leave a comment:

• NotSoWize
    replied
    If anyone is interested, here is the actual court decision issued at Christmas. It certainly makes if doubtful that WB will be releasing Watchmen at all, let alone in two months, unless they reach an agreement with Fox.

http://bradfox.com/downloadables/wat...2408_order.pdf

Leave a comment:

• NotSoWize
    replied
    Yes, it looks like if the studios don't resolve this themselves, then the trial begins on Jan 20th. It sure doesn't seem likely to me that Watchmen gets released on schedule unless Fox and WB come to an agreement outside of the trial.

Yuck!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X