Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA & WB drops ball w/"Dark Knight"

From http://www.edge-online.com/news/anal...warner-100-mln

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter says EA and Warner Bros. have missed out on $100 million in sales by deciding not to release a Dark Knight videogame alongside the $400 million box office smash movie.

While the Dark Knight movie has been breaking box office records and associated merchandise has been selling like hot cakes, EA, which has the rights to make a game based on the property, and franchise owner Warner Bros. have ensured that, for the first time in the film-franchise's history, a Batman movie has released without a videogame attached.

A Dark Knight game was in production at EA-owned Pandemic Studios, an EA manager told The Associated Press under terms of anonymity, while film star Gary Oldman said in a recent interview that he had seen a "tiny little piece" of the game.

According to the news agency, æSpeculation about the cause for the disappearing act has included missed deadlines, Heath Ledger's death, questionable quality and poor sales projections.Æ

While EAÆs 2005 Batman Begins game sold just 587,000 copies, according to NPD figures, videogame industry analyst Pachter told The AP that a Dark Knight game released at the same time as the movie could have sold four million units and generated $100 million, $70 million of which would have gone to the game's publisher and $30 to Warner Bros.

ôI think publishers have concluded the only games that work are the surefire $500 million box office kind of games like Spider-Man and Shrek," he said.

ôThe Transformers game really surprised people how well it did, but the movie was big. I don't think they expected The Dark Knight movie to be this big.ö

A Dark Knight game may still be in the works, but the EA manager who confirmed its existence said such a game isn't on the publisherÆs release slate through March 2009.

questionable quality
    I really kind of respect them for not releasing it if they thought it was going to be shitty. I am sure that isn't the whole of the reasoning, but even if it's part of it, they deserve some credit. You know how many movie tie-in games come out that are dreadful.

EDIT:

From http://www.edge-online.com/news/anal...warner-100-mln

And by the way, just what kind of links are you sending us to, sir?
    Last edited by Dr Maturin; 08-08-2008, 10:46 AM.
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by LessonInMachismo View Post
      EDIT: And by the way, just what kind of links are you sending us to, sir?
      The kind that get abbreviated by the forum software and come out as a naughty word. In this case, it shortened up "analyst" to, well, what you saw.

The part you didn't see looks like this:
      analyst-dark-knight-no-show-cost-ea-and-warner-100-mln

Comment

"Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over? An analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."
        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by LessonInMachismo View Post
          I really kind of respect them for not releasing it if they thought it was going to be shitty. I am sure that isn't the whole of the reasoning, but even if it's part of it, they deserve some credit. You know how many movie tie-in games come out that are dreadful.
          If EA dropped it for questionable quality, it must have been truly awful!

Comment

Well, at least they actually DID drop it due to quality issues. How many games are released these days that have more bugs than features or are awfully designed as a whole...?
            What's up Drakh?

Comment

...mostly by EA!

Comment

Thinking that they are going to sell $100M of a movie tie in game is just wishful thinking, unless the game is absolutely goundbreaking in it's own right. If it was, you would have heard of it a year or more before it was released. Most consumers are smart enough these days to buy games based on reviews, articles, demos, and word of mouth.

Comment

Agreed. In my experience a whole lot of games which correspond to a newly released flick are crap or at least hardly interresting.

I really have to free some time to start playing Mass Effect btw.
                  What's up Drakh?

Comment

I'll gladly take this upcoming Batman game over a movie tie-in game.

The game is Batman: Arkham Asylum

Here's the scans I found from Gamefaqs.com

Last edited by David Panzer; 08-15-2008, 03:17 PM.
                    RIP Coach Larry Finch
                    Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                    Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Originally posted by I love Lyta View Post
                      Agreed. In my experience a whole lot of games which correspond to a newly released flick are crap or at least hardly interresting.

I really have to free some time to start playing Mass Effect btw.
                      Mass Effect is great.

And that new Batman game looks fantastic, like a cross between Batman and Rockstar's Manhunt (which is maybe the most morally reprehensible game I've EVER played......I'm still not sure how the hell Rockstar got away with publishing it), which is a plus.

Til' it comes out, though, I'll have to pick up Lego Batman and play that.
                      "I don't find myself in the same luxury as you. You grew up in freedom, and you can spit on freedom, because you don't know what it is not to have freedom." ---Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Comment

I wish that I had more time to play games.

I have a fun time playing SW: Battlefront II.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Maturin View Post
                          "Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over? An analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."
                          "Dr Maturin, you blowhard!"

:P

Comment

Working...
                          X