No announcement yet.

Watchmen trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have there been any updates on the legal problems? I haven't followed that issue lately.

Comment

I haven't seen any new information recently. As far as I know, the trial is still set to begin in January. Here's a decent write-up that I hadn't come across before from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/20/mo...ainment%20Inc.

Comment

A second trailer is out, with plenty of dialogue and new scenes.

HD 480P (50Mb)
        HD 720P (131Mb)
        HD 1080P (184Mb)

Comment

I saw the trailer. Impressive. I have heard that they changed the ending. I hope so. I was always let down by it. Alan Moore is a decidedly nihilistic individual.
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Hm... in which way did they change the ending, does anybody know? I found the "reflection" quite enlightening, he asks you
            "are you ok with that? Is it right to kill a thousend to save a million? From a danger that hasn't materialized jet?".
            I didn't find it nihilistic, but very grown up, realistic. I do hope that at the end viewers will have that question in mind... after all: It's part of the modern condition.
            Do you spend X Million $ to (statistically) save a thousend people? Should modern medicine save a cancerous person three months livetime for thousends of $? We are in a position to decide what we should do, and the answers are NOT easy.

PeAcE
            Last edited by Harrdy; 12-04-2008, 05:45 AM.
            greetings from austria, best known for its history and fine wine... feels like a wine cellar on a graveyard 8-)

Comment

The ending was only changed in terms of detail of the villain's plot, not outcome. Highlight below for spoilers.

Specifically, Ozymandias' plan to unite the world doesn't involve the creation of a fake extra-dimensional squid to destroy half of Newy York, but to fake an attack by Dr Manhattan on various world cities, NY included.

The plan still plays out the same way, and the ambiguous and brilliant final scene from the book has been confirmed to be in by Snyder.

Comment

I didn't think it was brilliant. And, as with most dystopic fiction, it turned out to be irrelevant. The interesting characters and engaging story is the novel's only worth...and that's not a bad thing at all.

I can't wait.
                Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I just want to be clear on what I'm referring to as the final scene: the one with the arrival of Rorschach's journal at the New Frontiersman.

I love it because it really challenges you on whether you think the journal being printed would be a good thing or not. Can the ends ever justify the means? Is it ok to bury the truth if revealing it would cause harm? It makes me think long and hard on my feelings on issues of pragmatism versus idealism, and depending on your opinion on Ozymandias' plan, it offers you either a shred of hope for your version of the 'good guys' winning out in the end after all, or a chilling hint of doom that things that seem to have turned out for the best could still be unravelled.

(I didn't bother with spoiler tags because I think I kept it vague and non-specific enough to be merely intriguingly mysterious to those unfamiliar with the story, rather than spoiling it for them! )

I will agree that without the strength of character work it would be a far lesser book. And yet I don't think it's fair to say that the novel has no other worth: there are so many technical aspects of the story-telling construction (in both the writing and art, and the fusion of the two) that are superlative as well, and I'm very interested to see how Snyder has translated them to film. The chapter detailing both Dr Manahattan's sojourn to Mars and his origin, told from the perspective of a man with non-linear perception of time, is one of my favourite parts of the book, and descriptions of the sequence as filmed (from the press screenings of three complete sequences given a month or two back) really excite me.

Comment

I just want to be clear on what I'm referring to as the final scene: the one with the arrival of Rorschach's journal at the New Frontiersman.

I love it because it really challenges you on whether you think the journal being printed would be a good thing or not.
                    That was the only thing that gave me a glimmer of hope about the end. With it, I can envision the truth being revealed and a resistance forming.

Can the ends ever justify the means? Is it ok to bury the truth if revealing it would cause harm?
                    It depends on a lot of things and it just isn't that cut and dry. But killing millions without being brought to justice (or so we must assume) in order to bring about one man's vision of the world and hiding the truth about what happened is wrong. And to have an indestructible demi-god put his stamp of approval on it made it worse. It really smacked of authoritarianism and possibly even an endorsement of communism (if it would bring peace rather than the good side winning). What really pissed me off is that Dan and Laurie just went "Oh well" and moved on. And what happened to the only dissenter? He was killed.

You can call me a red-baiter, but it isn't that hard of a conclusion to draw: An extremely rich guy hatches a plot to bring "peace" by hiding the truth about millions dying while living the good life in his castle.

Still, the story was brilliant and deserves its many acclaims.

Comment

Damn it! I just managed to lose my langthy reply that I spent ages composing! I'll try and reconstruct it later.

Comment

It happens all over again in history. The ones who are standing against a totalitarian regime are killed. That said it's not bad to stand against, and it is not (neccesarily) bad to be killed (martyrer), but most people are to afraid of being killed to stand against a more powerful enemy.
                        Rohrschach was "black/white", and he couldn't stop, even if it meant being killed (and it was to be expacted to be killed, after all a man who kills millions *and* very personal people is not going to stop there, is he?). The lovebirds had a future, and they understood that they would lose that future.
                        I think it was a very common action, esp. viewed with regards of history repeating (and 2nd WW germany, familyman killing in the concentration camps). If you have a reason to live you hesitate to throw away your live.

Anyway, I can live with the outlined changes and am very happy Watchman is continued (atm).

PeAcE
                        greetings from austria, best known for its history and fine wine... feels like a wine cellar on a graveyard 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Maturin View Post
                          It depends on a lot of things and it just isn't that cut and dry. But killing millions without being brought to justice (or so we must assume) in order to bring about one man's vision of the world and hiding the truth about what happened is wrong. And to have an indestructible demi-god put his stamp of approval on it made it worse. It really smacked of authoritarianism and possibly even an endorsement of communism (if it would bring peace rather than the good side winning). What really pissed me off is that Dan and Laurie just went "Oh well" and moved on. And what happened to the only dissenter? He was killed.
                          What could they have done at that point?
                          RIP Coach Larry Finch
                          Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                          Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

A version of the 3 minute comic-con footage is now on youtube via iTunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo05w83DZXQ&fmt=18
                            Last edited by vakie; 12-11-2008, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Here's a cool little bit with some more dialogue.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=48917596

Comment

Watchmen arcade game with amazing graphics:

http://www.minutemenarcade.com/uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X