X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Karachi Vyce View Post
    Damn, this is actually a pretty fucking great film. I might like it even better than the first, and that's probably because it's darker and more mature.

BTW, Regina Spektor's "The Call" is a fantastic song.
    Cheers to everything you just said.

Leave a comment:

• Karachi Vyce
    replied
    Damn, this is actually a pretty fucking great film. I might like it even better than the first, and that's probably because it's darker and more mature.

BTW, Regina Spektor's "The Call" is a fantastic song.

Leave a comment:

• NotSoWize
    replied
    I was pretty disappointed by Prince Caspian. It felt very long and slow to me. About the only highlights were the duel and the attempt to call back the White Witch.

I still have high hopes for Voyage of the Dawn Treader (especially with a new director) but they aren't quite as high as before I saw Prince Caspian.

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    Did you ever see the film "This Film Is Not Yet Rated"? There's some great stuff in there on the MPAA. One of the memorable things is Matt Stone being interviewed where he says when the independent film "Orgazmo" was filmed the MPAA gave it an NC-17 rating but wouldn't tell him why, but when he had Paramount backing the South Park movie, the MPAA gave him all sorts of information to help him edit to get it to an R rating. Probably a similar deal here -- since it's marketed as a family movie, the MPAA helps them get to a PG rating.

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by frulad View Post
    I thought Reepicheep provided a nice counternalance to the film's darker tone. And he does steal every scene he's in.

And speaking of which, how in the world is this thing not PG-13?! More proof that the MPAA is corrupt and the ratings system is broke...
    Finally saw this. I thought the movie was excellent, and the acting really didn't bother me even though I was looking for it because I read that sorta mini-review beforehand. I know I'm going to be one of the lone ones on this, but I actually enjoyed the movie better than Iron Man, which was fantastic. I just like stories with messages better than just stories for the sake of stories I guess.

Reepicheep totally stole the scenes he was in, but yes, I agree about the counterbalance. The movie was almost downright depressing at times. And very violent! Maybe they got away with it because the violence wasn't directed at humans for the most part? No idea...should have been PG-13 in my estimation as well.

Leave a comment:

• frulad
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
    That being said, how did you like Reepicheep? It's a bit worrisome when a digital character steals the show, but I thought he was well done.
    I thought Reepicheep provided a nice counternalance to the film's darker tone. And he does steal every scene he's in.

And speaking of which, how in the world is this thing not PG-13?! More proof that the MPAA is corrupt and the ratings system is broke...

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    I don't blame Barnes for the accent either; it's just that when you have to deal with a different dialect, it's one extra thing to worry about when that emotional and intellectual energy should go into the performance. I also agree about the structure, which had to be completely changed from the book, much of which is told in flashback, but let's face it, some of the Narnia books, however much people like them are somewhat slim in terms of plot and characterization.

That being said, how did you like Reepicheep? It's a bit worrisome when a digital character steals the show, but I thought he was well done.
    Well the books are really meant as an allegory more than trying to create characterization.

Leave a comment:

• NotSoWize
    replied
    but let's face it, some of the Narnia books, however much people like them are somewhat slim in terms of plot and characterization.
    I really noticed that when I read the books to my kids a few years ago. There was much less "story" to the books than I remembered. That is why I've been really looking forward to Voyage of the Dawn Treader, it has the different islands to add variety to the story and should be a very strong film. If the series continues, then The Silver Chair with Puddleglum and the underworld might also be a lot of fun.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Nazzaro
    replied
    I don't blame Barnes for the accent either; it's just that when you have to deal with a different dialect, it's one extra thing to worry about when that emotional and intellectual energy should go into the performance. I also agree about the structure, which had to be completely changed from the book, much of which is told in flashback, but let's face it, some of the Narnia books, however much people like them are somewhat slim in terms of plot and characterization.

Leave a comment:

• frulad
    replied
    Just got back from seeing it earlier this evening. I think it is a better film than the first, but its still not a really good film. While the kids are better actors this time around as Joe pointed out, it takes almost an hour of wandering around Narnia to get them to the plot! I don't really blame BB for his horrible accent. By using the Spanish Conquistadors as the model for the soldiers, he was pretty much forced into using it.

Leave a comment:

• colonyearth
    replied
    Well, Joe, Ben Barnes may be the weaker actor in it (don't know if I agree with you or not yet since I don't get to see it til it comes out in Memphis in a little over a week -- saw Iron Man last Sunday (loved it!) and will see Speed Racer this Sunday (not too sure about this one)), however, as a gay man I will be more than happy to at least gawk, drool and basically swoon over Ben, so at least I will have something to help make up for it.

I really liked the first film, though it had some problems. I am hoping that Adamson has worked out the kinks in this one and from your mini-review for us (thank you by the way) it seems he did mostly. That's great!

As for VofDT, it will have Apted directing and that could make it by far the best! We will see. Disney has stated they plan to complete all of the Narnia books, though there are no plans past VofDT. I'm sure they will see how the first 3 do before determining whether or not to continue.

CE

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Well, no movie's perfect (except Serenity ). Thanks for the review!

Leave a comment:

• Joe Nazzaro
    replied
    I've just had to answer this question to my friend Howard Berger from KNB, who doesn't get to see the film until its premiere tomorrow. I think in many ways, it's a better-looking and technically more polished piece than the first film. The four kids have definitely gotten better as actors, but I think if there's a weak spot, it's Ben Barnes as Caspian. I can see the need for giving him an accent to fit in with the Telmarines, but from an acting standpoint, I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to saddle a young actor with an accent when they have so many other things to deal with. Personally, I think my favorite character was Trumpkin, who gets an awful lot of the best lines, although Peter Dinklage might have done even better if he wasn't dealing with an accent of his own. And I think Reepicheep is going to be a star, albeit a computer-generated star.

The one point I had to keep remembering, as with 'Wardrobe' is that these films are made for movie-goers of all ages, so there are definitely some aspects that are clearly pitched to a younger audience. Even so, I'm glad I saw it and I'll be hopefully seeing it again when I go to London in a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    So Joe..you didn't answer the all important question: Did you like it?

Leave a comment:

• Garibaldi's Hair
    replied
    ... so needless to say, I'm finding every excuse to not get finished.
    Algebra ... I'll just do a few equations.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X