Prince Caspian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Caspian

What do you guys think from the previews? I think this is the most exciting thing we're going to get til Changeling. I'm glad they're doing the whole series.
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

I'm heading in to New York in a couple of hours for a Caspian press screening, in anticipation of a bunch of interviews I'm doing tomorrow at the junket. It's always a bit strange to see a film you've been covering for months for the very first time, but I think the quality should be pretty high, maybe even better than the first one, which was enjoyable but had a few rough spots where the digital work wasn't quite as good as it could have been. And besides, as anyone who's already read the book already knows, sword-wielding mice are cool!

Comment

My main hope since I heard they were making The Lion, the Witch,and the Wardrobe into a movie was that it would do well enough that Voyage of the Dawntreader would get made. Prince Caspian was sort of a rehash of the first book to me, so I'm not as interested in it, but I do hope it is well made so that my hopes of a great Dawntreader aren't dashed. Go Reepicheep!

Comment

I saw the film last night, the first time it had been shown in its entirety, so most of the main cast was there, as well as director Andrew Adamson, who seemed a bit worried about what the response would be. Fortunately, the audience (which was packed with Narnia fans as well as press) seemed to laugh in all the right places, notably just about every scene with Reepicheep, although Peter Dinklage's Trumpkin also seemed to be a favorite. Most of the performances are strong, with the possible exception of Ben Barnes, who's a bit lightweight for the role, as well as being saddled with an accent that reminded me on Inigo from The Princess Bride. That being said, the visual FX are generally of a higher quality than the first film, the creatures are even better, and the mice rock. As a movie-goer pushing 50, I had to remind myself that Caspian also has to appeal to a younger audience, so while I think Indiana Jones and Iron Man will be number one and two this summer, I expect Caspian to come in a very close third.

Incidentally, regarding the previous post regarding Dawn Treader, I interviewed the two writers a couple of hours ago, and apparently they've already done several drafts of the script, and director Michael Apted is scouting additional locations (a big chunk will be shot at the studio in Mexico where Titanic was done) so film #3 is certainly moving along nicely.

Comment

Glad to hear you liked it Joe. I'll be seeing it next Tuesday.

Have they shown Reepicheep in any of the commercials? I can't remember seeing him in any. Can't wait to see Dinklage in this. I've been a big fan since I saw Station Agent when it came out.
          Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

I don't think Reepicheep has been in any of the commercials that I've seen yet, but if the Disney marketing team has a lick of sense, they'll cut a new commercial featuring the character at some point down the road, as he basically steals every scene he's in. Funnily enough, I asked director Andrew Adamson yesterday how he felt about Reepicheep being compared to Puss from the Shrek films and he pointed out that in fact he had probably been channeling Reepicheep when they were creating Shrek 2, because the book had been so important to him as a kid.

And I agree about The Station Agent, one of my favorite indy films of the past decade; in fact I had Peter Dinklage sign my Station AGent DVD yesterday and I don't get people to sign stuff very often!

Comment

One of the producers of STATION AGENT is from the Wilkes-Barre area and when the film played at the local Cinemark, we got the actual snack van and picnic table and chairs. I have some pictures some where of me and my friends sitting there drinking sodas.

Comment

The step-kid's got the Disney Channel on and they'rehawking PRINCE CASPIAN pretty hard during the commercial breaks. Just saw a shot of Reepichhep, but not enough to get a real feel for the character.

Comment

I'm not surprised that Disney is doing a hard sell on Caspian; they've got a hell of a lot of money riding on that franchise at the moment, that and Wall-E. At the moment, my editor from Starlog is out in San Francisco covering the latter while I was covering Caspian in New York. Both of us have interviews to turn in by first thing tomorrow morning, so needless to say, I'm finding every excuse to not get finished. Actually, I've got my Andrew Adamson director interview on the other screen, with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe playing on the TV in the background. By this time tomorrow, I think I'll have had enough of C.S. Lewis for a while.

And Frulad, I went to college at the University of Scranton, so I spent a fair amount of time in Wilkes Barre during my misbegotten youth!

Comment

We'll have to trade stories about some of the various local watering holes...

As Stephen Wright says... "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
                      ... so needless to say, I'm finding every excuse to not get finished.
                      Algebra ... I'll just do a few equations.

The Optimist: The glass is half full
                      The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                      The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

So Joe..you didn't answer the all important question: Did you like it?
                        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I've just had to answer this question to my friend Howard Berger from KNB, who doesn't get to see the film until its premiere tomorrow. I think in many ways, it's a better-looking and technically more polished piece than the first film. The four kids have definitely gotten better as actors, but I think if there's a weak spot, it's Ben Barnes as Caspian. I can see the need for giving him an accent to fit in with the Telmarines, but from an acting standpoint, I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to saddle a young actor with an accent when they have so many other things to deal with. Personally, I think my favorite character was Trumpkin, who gets an awful lot of the best lines, although Peter Dinklage might have done even better if he wasn't dealing with an accent of his own. And I think Reepicheep is going to be a star, albeit a computer-generated star.

The one point I had to keep remembering, as with 'Wardrobe' is that these films are made for movie-goers of all ages, so there are definitely some aspects that are clearly pitched to a younger audience. Even so, I'm glad I saw it and I'll be hopefully seeing it again when I go to London in a few weeks.

Comment

Well, no movie's perfect (except Serenity ). Thanks for the review!

Comment

Well, Joe, Ben Barnes may be the weaker actor in it (don't know if I agree with you or not yet since I don't get to see it til it comes out in Memphis in a little over a week -- saw Iron Man last Sunday (loved it!) and will see Speed Racer this Sunday (not too sure about this one)), however, as a gay man I will be more than happy to at least gawk, drool and basically swoon over Ben, so at least I will have something to help make up for it.

I really liked the first film, though it had some problems. I am hoping that Adamson has worked out the kinks in this one and from your mini-review for us (thank you by the way) it seems he did mostly. That's great!

As for VofDT, it will have Apted directing and that could make it by far the best! We will see. Disney has stated they plan to complete all of the Narnia books, though there are no plans past VofDT. I'm sure they will see how the first 3 do before determining whether or not to continue.

CE
                              Anthony Flessas
                              Writer/Producer/Director,
                              SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Working...
                              X