Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek XI, Harlan Ellison (spoilers!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colonyearth View Post
    Um..you do realize that those in charge of the very poor recent Trek experiences are long gone and never allowed to touch anything Trek again...right? That this is a whole new creative group behind Trek and that Paramount is seriously putting large cash and some of the Hollywood elite behind reviving their franchises? Right? You knew this...right?

I do not equate B&B Trek to JJ Trek. Apples and grapefruits.

CE
    Lighten up CE ... it was a joke. See the smiley?

The Optimist: The glass is half full
    The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
    The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
      Lighten up CE ... it was a joke. See the smiley?

Me? Lighten up? What? Who told you to say that? What do you mean by that? Tell me...Who are you? What do you want? Where are you going? Who do you serve...and who do you trust?

CE
      Anthony Flessas
      Writer/Producer/Director,
      SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Why are you here? Do you have anything worth living for?

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Goddamn do I love Harlan Ellison. One of my absolute favorite writers, EVER. Millions, perhaps billions, of people have put pen to paper (metaphorically at least) and written works of literary art since humanity was capable of the practice, but Harlan is literally one of my absolute favorite writers in the history of existence.

Kind of odd that he is, given how if we ever met, he and I would probably disagree on just about everything. But I love him.

And I love angry, surly Harlan Ellison. One of my favorite Harlan moments, in recent years, was being so caustic towards Laurell K. Hamilton at some convention that he made her cry. That's awesome.
          "I don't find myself in the same luxury as you. You grew up in freedom, and you can spit on freedom, because you don't know what it is not to have freedom." ---Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Karachi Vyce View Post
            And I love angry, surly Harlan Ellison. One of my favorite Harlan moments, in recent years, was being so caustic towards Laurell K. Hamilton at some convention that he made her cry. That's awesome.
            What an achievement to mankind...
            Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
            True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Laurell Hamilton is truly a delusional bitch that is a cancer to the literary field.

Oh, to be there in the audience as Harlan verbally slapped her around.
              "I don't find myself in the same luxury as you. You grew up in freedom, and you can spit on freedom, because you don't know what it is not to have freedom." ---Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Comment

Laurell Hamilton is truly a delusional bitch that is a cancer to the literary field.

would there be a link to an account of said exchange?
                ---
                Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

And your basis for that conclusion is what? *Harlan* writes literature. Laurell writes escapist fiction. Neither the twain shall meet.

I like Harlan just fine but he can be a pretentious bully of the worst sort if he feels he can get away with it. I saw Laurell at SDCC this year and she's a perfectly nice lady, full of energy and a lot more forgiving of her fans than Harlan is.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    And your basis for that conclusion is what? *Harlan* writes literature. Laurell writes escapist fiction. Neither the twain shall meet.

I like Harlan just fine but he can be a pretentious bully of the worst sort if he feels he can get away with it. I saw Laurell at SDCC this year and she's a perfectly nice lady, full of energy and a lot more forgiving of her fans than Harlan is.

Jan
                    Ain't genius a BIOTCH? Makes a soul vast and cranky all at the same time. I fully respect Harlan, but don't much care for seeing him slap someone around. Creative souls should at least try to respect other creative souls, even if they're not on the same level. That said, it can always depend on the individuals in each situation. Sometimes people deserve to be jumped...just depends. I don't know Laurell or her work...so can't say...saying would be speaking...and cannot speak on subjects Zathras knows nothing about.

CE
                    Anthony Flessas
                    Writer/Producer/Director,
                    SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      The livejournal community LKH Lashouts has pretty much daily updates upon the life and times of Ms. Hamilton, including detailed breakdowns of her various ramblings. Beyond that, once you gain a deeper understanding of Hamilton, and you begin to realize just how deep she goes into the Mary-Sue bullshit with her work, it REALLY begins to get creepy and / or disturbing.

As for her reactions to fans, she's long ago gone down the Ann Rice "you are approaching this text from the wrong perspective" road of wanting sycophants more than real fans. Laurell really doesn't seem to handle criticism well. This is perhaps due to the fact that there's a great deal of it directed at her work. I have little sympathy in this regard, seeing as Laurell is, IMO, responsible for one of the most astounding - and egregrious - character assassinations OF HER OWN CHARACTERS I've ever seen with the Anita Blake series, which started off as a genuinely well-written and interesting horror-fantasy series, and then slowly turned into its present day incarnation of dreadfully awful vampire-themed erotica (of course, there's been the persistent rumours that the earlier books were so good because they were ghost-edited by her ex-husband). I have pratically never seen an author so absolutely destroy everything that made their own characters good and intriguing as Laurell has. It is utterly breathtaking.

Comment

C'mon, really. Anybody who's seen the authors picture can't help but know the extent of Mary Sue-ing in Laurell's Anita Blake books.

<shrug> None of which has anything to do with Harlan or Star Trek so if you want to continue the discussion, you'll need to start a thread. I'll happily move these posts over to it if you like.

Jan

Comment

Back to the subject of Harlan --

A little personal sidelight -- I had never seen Babylon 5 before 2003. I had been big into Star Trek but I was looking for a new sci-fi show to watch that would hold my interest. I knew of Harlan's reputation for calling out people the instant they were doing something wrong to his scripts or in general. When I learned that Harlan had stayed with Babylon 5 as consultant for the entire run, that's what convinced me to watch. Harlan does know sci-fi very well and basically his staying with the show seemed like a "stamp of approval" by one of the most impossible people to please in the entertainment industry. I purchased each DVD set and watched the entire show in order and loved it all! (Yep I purchased them before watching or knowing anything about the episodes. Didn't even rent them first!)

Comment

Working...
                          X