Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows countdown

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows countdown

    well only a few weeks to go, who else is excited?

    NO SPOILERS HERE!!!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Lunan View Post
    well only a few weeks to go, who else is excited?

    NO SPOILERS HERE!!!
    My girlfriend is. I haven't read past the 4th one.
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, since I just finished re-reading the first six, I'd say I'm ready for it! There is, of course, some trepidation. I thought the last 3 weren't as tight as the first 3. I've often wondered if, as she got more famous/rich/powerful if she didn't go the route of a number of authors and refuse to be edited. Sometimes, even when they're just suggestions and observations, it can be useful to have an editor. At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends.
      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by WorkerCaste View Post
        Well, since I just finished re-reading the first six, I'd say I'm ready for it! There is, of course, some trepidation. I thought the last 3 weren't as tight as the first 3. I've often wondered if, as she got more famous/rich/powerful if she didn't go the route of a number of authors and refuse to be edited. Sometimes, even when they're just suggestions and observations, it can be useful to have an editor. At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends.
        That is definitely what I started noticing with 4, and even 3 to some extent. It was just getting lengthy for no reason.

        Rambling on and going even slower in everything that could have very possibly even maybe sort of possibly in any alternate universe possibility timelines merging upon one another for a Marvel Universe retcon, or was that DC that did that whole deal doesn't really matter la la la la been said in about 3 words. A "Robert Jordan" also comes to mind.
        Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

        Comment


        • #5
          A "Robert Jordan" also comes to mind.
          *shudder* No way in hell Rowling is even close to Jordan levels of useless exposition.

          Yes, she's gotten longer in word nerd aspects, but the majority of it fits her story. Book 6 also seemed to trim things down a bit.

          Oh, yeah, and obviously waiting here. Duh.
          Radhil Trebors
          Persona Under Construction

          Comment


          • #6
            I'll have to check with my younger brother to see if he still reads the Potter books.

            He did when he was in grade school, now he's in college.

            Keith Olbermann offered his own theory for the "fate of Harry Potter" a couple nights ago on his show. It was interesting
            RIP Coach Larry Finch
            Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
            Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

            Comment


            • #7
              the big question is if harry dies or lives
              J.K. Rowling has made a few ambiguious comments.
              if he lives we all know that the press of fans will "demand" she write more, but she doesn't want to write any more and has said many times that this is the last harry potter book, oh and the promoters in the US have been doing this whole is snape good or bad thing to drive it a bit

              personally i tend to think snape killed dumbledore on dumbledore's orders and is really a double agent, the last half of halfblood prince just feels too contrived, like she was trying to force something thru subtly but didn't quite get it. well we shall see in a few weeks

              oh and authors who stop getting edited after awhile
              Robert Jordan, Robert Heinlein, Anne McCaffrey, Rowling, Asimov, Clancy, WEB Griffin, Kellerman(both, hell maybe all 3 now that their son has started writing) Nortan, Nivin, Anne Rice, David Weber

              and it can go eitherway, in clancy's case i found it very enjoyable. if you are a fan, and sometimes just from a story perspective a story has to be longer then 300 or 400 pages

              now as a FAN of the wheel of time books i enjoy the detail, as just a reader, once was enough, when i reread any of them there are whole chapters i don't bother with any more, same for harry potter, not so much with anne rice (except for noth bothering with alot of her later stuff anymore, damn christianity for ruining a great writer) with Weber it can be hit or miss, but he did do a great job world building in Off Armegeddon Reef (2 or 300 pages longer then this next harry potter)

              i guess it just depends on who is reading and howmuch you enjoy it

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, if Harry dies, so will the turnout for the sixth and seventh film.

                Maybe Harry lives, but no longer as a wizard
                RIP Coach Larry Finch
                Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow View Post
                  Well, if Harry dies, so will the turnout for the sixth and seventh film.

                  Maybe Harry lives, but no longer as a wizard
                  thats sounds alot like where Robert Jordan has hinted and forshadowed hes taking Rand'al Thor for the end of the wheel of time books

                  i wonder if thats what happens will people accuse jordan of stealing it?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lunan View Post
                    i wonder if thats what happens will people accuse jordan of stealing it?
                    Then it will be his own fault for not finishing the sodding series already. I enjoyed the first few but was so bored in 5 that I never finished the book. It had to much exposition and retreading the same stuff under a different guise.

                    I like long books, especially those by Tad Williams (Otherland) or Peter F Hamilton (Reality Disfunction) ... or even long series like The Death Gate Cycle (gotta love a cranky ole wizard called Zifnab ... *cough* Fizban) but Jordan just seemed to be taking the piss and milking for all its worth rather than telling a story.

                    My 2p

                    Rob

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tarasis View Post
                      Then it will be his own fault for not finishing the sodding series already. I enjoyed the first few but was so bored in 5 that I never finished the book. It had to much exposition and retreading the same stuff under a different guise.

                      I like long books, especially those by Tad Williams (Otherland) or Peter F Hamilton (Reality Disfunction) ... or even long series like The Death Gate Cycle (gotta love a cranky ole wizard called Zifnab ... *cough* Fizban) but Jordan just seemed to be taking the piss and milking for all its worth rather than telling a story.

                      My 2p

                      Rob
                      try listening to them, much easier that way

                      as to harry and the deathly, i have been hearing people talk abiut harry being an "accidental" horcrux over the last few days, not a spoiler just a theory thats been floating all over

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Theories are spoilers if they're right. Given the nature of the Internet and the Infinite Monkeys Corollary, the entire plot of the book is online somewhere. So for the sake of sanity, let's keep them to a minimum.

                        I really really really doubt that one though.

                        Edit - Side note, because I can't keep my mouth shut whenever someone mentions how great Tad Williams is, I'd like him a lot better if he could finish his stories with the same quality as he unravels them. 90% of Otherland was great, but the last 10% leaves a literary sense of rancid rotting meat.
                        Last edited by Radhil; 06-30-2007, 02:32 PM.
                        Radhil Trebors
                        Persona Under Construction

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Harry + Hermione = OTP.
                          "I don't find myself in the same luxury as you. You grew up in freedom, and you can spit on freedom, because you don't know what it is not to have freedom." ---Ayaan Hirsi Ali

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Karachi Vyce View Post
                            Harry + Hermione = OTP.


                            *mutter* Damn monkeys.
                            Radhil Trebors
                            Persona Under Construction

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              getting closer and closer and as far as i can tell nothing has leaked yet, i wish the US government had this level of security

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X