Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor Who Season Two Finale

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Doctor Who Season Two Finale

    Did anyone see Doctor Who last night on Sci-Fi? I was sobbing at the end like I had just seen Sleeping in Light. I'm going to miss Billie Piper, but at least David Tennant is staying. I really, really like Tennant. Who else is a Tennant fan?

  • #2
    Originally posted by tlsmith1963
    Did anyone see Doctor Who last night on Sci-Fi? I was sobbing at the end like I had just seen Sleeping in Light. I'm going to miss Billie Piper, but at least David Tennant is staying. I really, really like Tennant. Who else is a Tennant fan?
    I had never watched an episode of Dr. Who until I saw these two episodes while flying back from London earlier this month. They were pretty good.
    ---
    Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
    www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

    Comment


    • #3
      i am a major doctor who fan so i managed to see these about 7 months ago. and they were pretty good, it goes into the doctors emotions quite a bit more then the original show did, i am rather glad rose is going away i fe;t she wasn't exactly a good companion. looking foward to the runaway bride in 2 days myself and the 29th season starts in feb or march

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tlsmith1963
        Did anyone see Doctor Who last night on Sci-Fi? I was sobbing at the end like I had just seen Sleeping in Light. I'm going to miss Billie Piper, but at least David Tennant is staying. I really, really like Tennant. Who else is a Tennant fan?
        I had a few tears in my eyes.

        Comment


        • #5
          It took me a little while to get used to her but like all the other Doctors' companions, they come and go. Personally I liked the previous Doctor than the current one, but I'm starting to get used to him too. I seriously doubt there will ever be another Doctor quite like Tom Baker though.
          Ranger Code

          We walk in the places no others will enter.
          We do not break away from combat.
          We stand on the bridge and no one may pass.
          We do not retreat whatever the reason.
          We live for The One, we die for The One.

          Comment


          • #6
            Just managed to watch this tonight.

            I've liked both the doctors in this new incarnation. Of course, I never saw the old ones.

            Rose seemed to be an annoying git, but then, so did the Doctor at first. It was a pretty good team. Not a Sheridan/Delenn (so no, not Sleeping In Light), but damn good.

            And quite frankly, no idea what to make of that last bit, but much like the Doctor gets replaced I have to presume this is his new sidekick? Hope she gets prettier. I like Tennant's Doctor better than Ecclestion(?), so he can stay.

            So I take it this is where that Torchwood spinoff everyone's been discussing over in the other thread starts? With the ruins of the one they just demolished, or they shifting Rose over to her own series?
            Last edited by Radhil; 12-27-2006, 05:59 PM.
            Radhil Trebors
            Persona Under Construction

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JohnFourtyTwo
              It took me a little while to get used to her but like all the other Doctors' companions, they come and go. Personally I liked the previous Doctor than the current one, but I'm starting to get used to him too. I seriously doubt there will ever be another Doctor quite like Tom Baker though.
              as someone who was barly watching star trek tng in 89 when doctor who was "put on hiatus" (i was 8) i admit i only found doctor who much later and Tom was my first doctor, but while tom was great he was only the second or maybe thrid best doctor. William Hartnell the first Doctor was the best, i mean come on a crotchity old man who constantly forgot his lines travelling thru space and time and sorting things out for various groups, how can you beat that?

              unfortunatly almost all of Patrick Trougthens stories are just gone (damn you BBC ignorant jerks Silver isn't worth that much now and wan't worht that much then) and Patrick would run very close to tom for next best doctor

              for those who have no idea what we are talking about go to www.gallifreyone.com for more info

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lunan
                damn you BBC ignorant jerks ...
                And here you betray that fact that you are a child of the 80s, as you point out in another thread. Back in the days when PT was The Doctor (before my time as well incidentally), TV was still pretty new, VCRs were completely unheard of and the possibility that television would take such a hold on the populous that viewers would want to watch their favourite shows over and over (and ultimately own them so that they can do that whenever they want) was an alien concept.

                Short-sighted and lacking in vision, perhaps. But ignorant jerks? Not really. Funnily enough things just worked differently back then.
                The Optimist: The glass is half full
                The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

                Comment


                • #9
                  And the BBC library purge wasn't for the silver content of the films as it was all on videotape. The tapes were wiped to be reused. The BBC was just too cheap to buy new tapes.

                  You're confusing this with one of the two main reasons so many (between 80-90 percent by some estimates) of all silent films are lost. Films that weren't just dumped into the ocean by the producers who figured they were obsolete when sound came in were recycled to get their silver nitrate during WW2.
                  Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Radhil
                    So I take it this is where that Torchwood spinoff everyone's been discussing over in the other thread starts? With the ruins of the one they just demolished, or they shifting Rose over to her own series?
                    Both. Although Billie Piper wanted a change from Doctor Who.
                    Andrew Swallow

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by frulad
                      And the BBC library purge wasn't for the silver content of the films as it was all on videotape. The tapes were wiped to be reused. The BBC was just too cheap to buy new tapes.

                      You're confusing this with one of the two main reasons so many (between 80-90 percent by some estimates) of all silent films are lost. Films that weren't just dumped into the ocean by the producers who figured they were obsolete when sound came in were recycled to get their silver nitrate during WW2.
                      according to the various specials and the various websites (including outpost gallifrey) it was to reclaim silver. they could be wrong but all the info i have seen said that the reason was silver.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I thought I read somewhere that Patrick Troughtens footage was lost to a warehouse fire or something like that.
                        Ranger Code

                        We walk in the places no others will enter.
                        We do not break away from combat.
                        We stand on the bridge and no one may pass.
                        We do not retreat whatever the reason.
                        We live for The One, we die for The One.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lunan
                          according to the various specials and the various websites (including outpost gallifrey) it was to reclaim silver. they could be wrong but all the info i have seen said that the reason was silver.
                          Hmmm... I was under the impression that the tapes were wiped. And video tapes use magnetic flakes and silver is not very magnetic.

                          Joe D., can we get a ruling on this please?
                          Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            In the end, the actually physical reason why the BBC chose to wipe the tapes ... whether it was for the silver (a claim I have never seen anywhere with regards to Dr Who) or to reclaim the tapes for reuse (the reason I have seen quoted) ... is an irrelevance.

                            The underlying principle, in either case, is that the BBC didn't not have any reason to believe that the episodes would be of sufficient value in the future to justify the space and expense of storing them for posterity. Let's face it, the combined total output of the BBC prior to any realistic means of digital storage would be immense, rendering the storage of shows "for the sake of it" completely and utterly impractical.

                            Check Out This Page for some additional background.
                            Last edited by Garibaldi's Hair; 12-29-2006, 07:07 AM.
                            The Optimist: The glass is half full
                            The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                            The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              They were still wiping master tapes of shows in the late eighties.

                              Most of Rentaghost is but a memory...(alright so that's not such a bad thing and the superior season one is out on dvd).
                              I have the wings for Bingo.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X