Russian Invasion of Ukraine and WW3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Invasion of Ukraine and WW3

Like so many others, I'm in complete disbelief with regards to Russia's Invasion of Ukraine.

I've had numerous discussions with my family regarding the invasion, especially with my wife whose grandparents came from Ukraine. What often comes up is why doesn't anyone in Russia step in to stop Putin.

I made numerous references to how Hitler and his propaganda had a stranglehold on the German people.

Then I found myself making numerous references to President Clarke in Babylon 5. As we all know Clarke fueled the propaganda of alien infleunces. As referenced in Severed Dreams, Clarke spent time putting his key people in possition making it almost impossible for people to speak out against him.

When Sheridans forces closes in on Earth, Clarke becomes more and more desperate. Courage is finally found to arrest Clarke in End Game. However, Clarke deploys his Scorched Earth and takes his own life. It's like an abusive partner killing their partner due to the mentality of, if I can't have them, then no one can.

The same mentality is with the Drahk who unleashed the plague in A Call to Arms where Sheridan references the ultimate act of spite by poisoning the well.

I make these different references as I'm concerned that Putin may have the same Scorched Earth mentality. The invasion isn't going his way, so it appears that he has partially the same mentality of Scorched Earth that if he can't easily have Ukraine, then no one can. So he's resolving to bomb nearly everything he can to lay Ukraine to waste.

I'm hoping that Putin doesn't feel that he's backed into the proverbial corner like Clarke and push the Nuclear button himself.

One thing that B5 excelled at was showing the process of how things got the way they did and part of that was illustrating how Clark (no E) stirred the fear of aliens and stressed 'planetary security' as reasons for tightening control. I don't have any 'feel' for what Putin might do and that (as Lennier and Vir might say) "makes me nervous".
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      One thing that B5 excelled at was showing the process of how things got the way they did and part of that was illustrating how Clark (no E) stirred the fear of aliens and stressed 'planetary security' as reasons for tightening control. I don't have any 'feel' for what Putin might do and that (as Lennier and Vir might say) "makes me nervous".
      Can't say how reliable any of this might be, but one possible way to keep an eye on things might be to examine what the state-sponsored media outlets are saying. Did that last week, and it looked like it was being promoted as a de-nazification campaign, since "fighting nazis" is always considered to be a straight good-vs-evil thing where factual information isn't required. There were references to "de-militarizing" the area, plus secret bio/chemical research labs, so should there be any outbreaks, must have come from those "secret labs". Historically speaking, Russia was invaded twice in the last century from the West, so even the mention of a potential aggressor is enough to make people nervous.

As to how this relates to B5, recall what happened with ISN (Severed Dreams & The Illusion of Truth) and how reminding people of previous wars and promoting fear of a potential enemy - even if an enemy must be invented - was essential to maintaining control. If pushed, will Putin take the "Ascension of the Ordinary Man" route? Hate to be political, but as we've seen over the past few years, words can be interpreted as a physical threat, so should he consider the rhetoric and sanctions to be the same as an attack on Russian territory and thinks that he has nothing to lose... I'd be with Lennier and Vir and Jan on thinking it is something to be concerned about.

Edit (a few days later): Would seem that it is being pitched to the People At Home as neutralizing a hostile military force who may have access to Weapons of Mass Destruction (aka: the "secret labs"). Voice of the Resistance?
      Last edited by LateArrival; 03-19-2022, 08:39 PM.
      "This is not a clear and present danger? I must read the rule book again."

Comment

I can't believe I spelled Clark wrong. How embarrassing (LOL).

I completely agree that B5 excelled at "showing the process of how things got the way they did."

Even last night I watched "Midnight on the Firing Line" yet again and I found it quite interesting to see the dilema of what steps to take in trying to stop the Narn aggression. In particular the heated conversation between Sinclair and the Earth Senator.

That same dilema is being played out now with regards to how to stop the Russian aggression. NATO is trying to assist Ukraine without being brought into a wider war. The Earth Senator (in B5) emphasized about Earth being Neutral and staying out of another war.

Comment

Working...
        X