Coolest Celeb Personal Encounters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolest Celeb Personal Encounters

It really has been FAR too quiet around here so I'm shamelessly stealing this from a Facebook thread. What are your favorite celebrity encounters at cons or anyplace? I've really got quite a list so in no particular order:

- Jeanne Robinson and Spider Robinson. Co-authors of the Stardance Trilogy and Spider wrote the Callahan's saloon books. Jeanne invited me to hang out while she was at a signing with Spider and we got to be friends. Lovely lady, dearly missed. Spider gave me the second best hug I've ever had. Lovely man.

- Sean Astin. He really loved when I had him sign a script from "Jeremiah" and paged through it while telling me how he enjoyed the role (much to the dismay of his handler/expediter).

- Peter Jurasik. Just a genuinely wonderful man. Came to a 'diplomatic reception' cocktail party I co-hosted at DragonCon once.

- Rick Biggs. Took a real interest in his fans. Once recognized me the day after signing some scripts and dtook me over to introduce me to Walter Koenig and tell him about my script collection.

- Morgan Sheppard. Just loved telling stories!

- JMS - Of course! - Many times. He's been gracious about accepting a #FreeBabylon5 pin, recognizes me without running away or calling security. One time after telling a story about a mural he had painted on a garden wall, he showed me the picture on his phone. Generally nice man.

- Pat Tallman. Sweet lady. Good hugger (eat your hearts out, guys!).

That's what I come up with for now. Maybe more later. What about you?
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

In 1972, my parents had a fund raising event at their house for George McGovern who was running for president against Richard Nixon. Alan Napier, who played Alfred the butler on the 1966 series Batman and Gary Burghoff (Radar O'Reilly from MASH) and his wife Janet Gayle were in attendance, along with most of the members of the local county Democratic Party organization. They showed up early and I got to meet with them. I was 15 at the time.

In 1979, the aircraft carrier I was serving was the setting of a science fiction film The Final Countdown. They filmed when we were in port and also on one of our many short deployments for pilots to maintain their flight pay. I met Charles Durning and Katherine Ross when they were on break between scenes they had filmed in medical. They were in white bath robes and on the second deck near the aft weapons assembly area. Most of the other stars of the movie never made it below the hangar deck level where the ships company worked. But I do know a lot of the on-screen "actors" in the movie played by the actual sailors that I served with for up to 4 years. A cast of thousands.
    Last edited by Kraig; 02-22-2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraig View Post
      In 1972, my parents had a fund raising event at their house for George McGovern who was running for president against Richard Nixon. Alan Napier, who played Alfred the butler on the 1966 series Batman and Gary Burghoff (Radar O'Reilly from MASH) and his wife Janet Gayle were in attendance, along with most of the members of the local county Democratic Party organization. They showed up early and I got to meet with them. I was 15 at the time.

In 1979, the aircraft carrier I was serving was the setting of a science fiction film The Final Countdown. They filmed when we were in port and also on one of our many short deployments for pilots to maintain their flight pay. I met Charles Durning and Katherine Ross when they were on break between scenes the had filmed in medical. They were in white bath robes and on the second deck near the aft weapons assembly area. Most of the other stars of the movie never made it below the hangar deck level where the ships company worked. But I do know a lot of the on-screen "actors" in the movie played by the actual sailors that I served with for up to 4 years. A cast of thousands.
      Wow, both great stories, thanks! Although I feel old! I volunteered for McGovern while in high school!
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

At the phoenix comicon where i met jan for the first and only time (hey counts as a celeb encounter for me) I met Gigi Edgley, who played chiana on farscape and her co star David Franklin who played Braca. Gige was fun engaging and chatted happilly for 20 od minutes with me, posing for photos and signing my farscpae shoulder bag in silver/grey sharpie, truly a lovely person who seemed delifghed to meet a fan.
        "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I am writing a book. Sorry.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I am writing a book. Sorry.
            Did...something happen to the book that we can't see it? Inquiring minds...

Comment

Working...
            X