Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avengers Endgame - SPOILERS

[WITH SPOILERS!!!!!]

The biggest movie in the world came out and there is no discussion thread so I am starting one? What does everyone think?
    Last edited by Looney; 05-08-2019, 08:07 PM.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

MILD SPOILERS

Enjoyed it. It did what it needed to, and I thought the 3 act structure made the bloated 3 hour run time zip by.

I thought the time travel plot line was a bit thin, but they were going to need some kind of rewind button to resurrect the Avengers back from the 'click'. I do like that they poked some fun at their own laziness in that respect. No massively strong feelings really. I had fun. It was all worth it for Big Lebowski Thor. They did a good job of tying together almost two decades of films into one big conclusion. I can think of no other coherent cinematic universe that's achieved this.

I am very much ready for GOG 3 based on the concluding scenes.
    Last edited by Ubik; 05-08-2019, 07:47 AM.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
      MILD SPOILERS

Enjoyed it. It did what it needed to, and I thought the 3 act structure made the bloated 3 hour run time zip by.

I thought the time travel plot line was a bit thin, but they were going to need some kind of rewind button to resurrect the Avengers back from the 'click'. I do like that they poked some fun at their own laziness in that respect. No massively strong feelings really. I had fun. It was all worth it for Big Lebowski Thor. They did a good job of tying together almost two decades of films into one big conclusion. I can think of no other coherent cinematic universe that's achieved this.
      Well I enjoyed it as well, but being myself I greatly disliked the time travel aspect. I've been trying to wrap my head around how paradoxes can be avoided.

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
      I am very much ready for GOG 3 based on the concluding scenes.
      Yes they did exactly what my dream was after RAGNAROK. This is where Thor belongs, especially if Quill did not gain or maintain powers after GOG 2.

Comment

I enjoyed "Endgame" too. I'm going to be on vacation later this month and I'll probably go see it again.

Although I didn't have a problem, I did note that several reviewers discussed the subject of "pee breaks" (#1, #2, #3, #4). So perhaps the creators of these three hour+ epics should bring back the time honored tradition of the intermission.

I was happy that Captain Marvel didn't ruin the movie, although she did manage to bring it down a bit. I would have been content if the "conference call" scene where Captain Marvel said she was leaving was actually the last we saw of her in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
          I enjoyed "Endgame" too. I'm going to be on vacation later this month and I'll probably go see it again.

Although I didn't have a problem, I did note that several reviewers discussed the subject of "pee breaks" (#1, #2, #3, #4). So perhaps the creators of these three hour+ epics should bring back the time honored tradition of the intermission.
          My friends and I were discussing that very subject leading up to ENDGAME. They were so worried about having to take a break at a critical moment. Personally I didn't worry because I know I'll see ENDGAME more than once. BUT I definitely believe intermissions should return.

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
          I was happy that Captain Marvel didn't ruin the movie, although she did manage to bring it down a bit. I would have been content if the "conference call" scene where Captain Marvel said she was leaving was actually the last we saw of her in the movie.
          WOW! I disagree. The only downer I felt about Captain Marvel was that I didn't really care for her hair. I just don't think that style worked for her. I think if she was going to go short then full Mohawk might have been better. My only issue with the introduction of Captain Marvel is that I wonder who would ever be able to match her. I feel like they have made her too strong to the point where I don't think I'm going to believe anyone can match her. I mean from what I saw the only way Thanos was able to overwhelm her was due to a twist with the stone that empowered her. So I'm not really looking forward her sequels because I can't imagine accepting anyone could defeat her unless there is going to be a Superman crossover.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            My friends and I were discussing that very subject leading up to ENDGAME. They were so worried about having to take a break at a critical moment. Personally I didn't worry because I know I'll see ENDGAME more than once. BUT I definitely believe intermissions should return.
            Yes they should, especially with a movie of this length. I saw Out of Africa (161 min) in a theater and they had an intermission. And Endgame is 20 minutes longer than that!

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            WOW! I disagree. The only downer I felt about Captain Marvel was that I didn't really care for her hair. I just don't think that style worked for her. I think if she was going to go short then full Mohawk might have been better. My only issue with the introduction of Captain Marvel is that I wonder who would ever be able to match her. I feel like they have made her too strong to the point where I don't think I'm going to believe anyone can match her. I mean from what I saw the only way Thanos was able to overwhelm her was due to a twist with the stone that empowered her. So I'm not really looking forward her sequels because I can't imagine accepting anyone could defeat her unless there is going to be a Superman crossover.
            IMO, a little Brie Larson/Captain Marvel goes a long way. She definitely overstayed her welcome as far as I was concerned.

Comment

I am very surprised how I am often hearing people don't like her. Is it Brie Larson or the character? Someone told me it was Brie Larson because she was going overboard about how much better Captain Marvel is than the rest of the Avengers. Well in fairness the movies have shown she is correct.

Which reminds me, I actually did not mention my biggest disappointment with this film is the lack of redemption for The Hulk against Thanos. I am soooooooooooooooo upset about this. I'm pretty sure in one of Thanos' first appearances The Hulk is mentioned. This told me that he saw The Hulk as a huge threat. I do NOT like the path they have taken with The Hulk. I was okay with it for most of the movie, but the fact that there was no HUGE Hulk-Out in the finale left me GREATLY dissatisfied. I feel he can never recapture what was once there. If The Hulk didn't come out to smash Thanos during the finale of ENDGAME they may as well write him out of the Universe because there will now always be doubt.

So that little side tangent had a purpose and that is because I was thinking of Avengers who can compete with Captain Marvel. From what we've seen I would say there are only two, Thor and The Hulk. And from what we've seen, I'm pretty sure The Hulk might lose and Thor would be a bit outmatched.

Comment

my personal take on endgame?
                I can totally cosplay fat thor
                "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
                  my personal take on endgame?
                  I can totally cosplay fat thor
                  LOL

Speaking of Fat Thor, I'm glad he stayed fat until the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X