Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I mean it this time, my last worldcon post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I mean it this time, my last worldcon post.

Well, I finally figured out how to upload photos off of my treo, so here we are. The rastb5m party for those of you who aren't on the newsgroup to see my post of the exact same thing there. And of course, a picture with me and my honorary mom..Jan. And of course again, a picture with me and Fiona Avery who some of you know I have a misguided crush on. All contained within.

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...rain/worldcon/
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

When are these things, I really want to go to the next one. Thanks.
    My Blog and more - Click here

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Harmonic
      When are these things, I really want to go to the next one. Thanks.

There's a lot of different conventions. Usually someone on the newsgroup or boards brings them up a few weeks before they're going to happen. Dragon*con is going on right now, which is back east in Atlanta. Worldcon was in LA. I believe the next Worldcon is in Japan (which I think I won't make, despite how I'd love to visit japan), and then 2008 is in Denver. Held around the same time each year.

There's also a lot of smaller conventions. Google search sci-fi convention and your area and I'm sure you'll come up with a list of things.

Jon
      True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Phil Harmonic, if you give us an idea of where you live, someone here may know of when your local con happens.

And, Smile, Jan's apparently got a lot of con-step-children...I'm remembering a little conversation we had with Space Ghost in Atlanta, Jan....

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG
          Phil Harmonic, if you give us an idea of where you live, someone here may know of when your local con happens.

And, Smile, Jan's apparently got a lot of con-step-children...I'm remembering a little conversation we had with Space Ghost in Atlanta, Jan....
          Whaaat?! She's my mommy! Not Space Ghost's!

Jon

Comment

Phoenix, Arizona
            My Blog and more - Click here

Comment

Y'know, I just hate it when I miss seeing a new thread and then find out I'm one of the topics of conversation! Yes, Jon, I'm your honorary mother. Now remember, *soup* today, not frozen pizza!

Phil Harmonic, here's one you just missed in Tempe that seems to be an annual con: CopperCon. Here's another in May 2007: Leprecon

Interestingly, Wikipedia has a convention list.

Every con has it's own personality. Some are *huge* like DragonCon and San Diego Comic Con, some are much smaller. Some focus on gaming or comics or literature or art or any combination of those. Some are 'Pro' cons run for profit like the Vulkons or Creation Cons, many (most?) are non-profit and often benefit local or national charities. One thing you can pretty much count on is that the people at the con enjoy talking about their passion and are simply *full* of friends you simply haven't met yet.

Jon's right, the next WorldCon is in Japan but in years when the Worldcon is outside of North America, there's a NASFiC convention which next year will be near St. Louis Archon. Since each city has it's own convention committee, I'm quite sure that each WorldCon and each NASFiC is very different. I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
              X