I'm beginning to hate Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm beginning to hate Star Wars

First I saw this on the CTV news website today about Netflix Canada increasing their rates:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment...fies-1.4197379

In that article it mentions about a Rogue One prequel series, so I researched it and came across this article:

https://tvline.com/2018/11/08/star-w...aming-service/

In fact the tvline article mentions about two different Star Wars live action series. Most people knew that Disney would try and milk the Star Wars franchise for all it's worth. Personally I think this is getting ridiculous which is going to make it nearly impossible for anyone to keep track of the various Star Wars story lines and time lines. All Disney is doing is essentially diluting the value of the Star Wars brand.

Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
    All Disney is doing is essentially diluting the value of the Star Wars brand.
    I agree, but it doesn't bother me because I'll just stick to the movies. People have tried to get me to watch the animated series and read the books, but the only Expanded Universe in Star Wars that I've ever explored has been a few video games. They are Disney so they are going to milk it. Looking at what they've done with the Marvel franchises as an example, the series plots and movie plots won't likely be all that connected. Of course I could be wrong and maybe they have learned from Marvel's mistakes, but I doubt it. (By "mistakes" I mean not tying AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. and other shows more in step with the movies. I understand some of the reasoning I've heard, but it has only hindered those series.)
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
      I agree, but it doesn't bother me because I'll just stick to the movies.
      I'm not even going to do that.

"Star Wars" is dead to me after "The Last Jedi", which I nicknamed "The Laxative Jedi", because it sh!t all over everything I loved about "Star Wars". See small version of my "The Laxative Jedi" movie poster below. Big wallpaper version is here.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post

I'm not even going to do that.

"Star Wars" is dead to me after "The Last Jedi", which I nicknamed "The Laxative Jedi", because it sh!t all over everything I loved about "Star Wars". See small version of my "The Laxative Jedi" movie poster below. Big wallpaper version is here.
        But what are you going to do if they actually manage to churn out something that is really good?
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post

But what are you going to do if they actually manage to churn out something that is really good?
          That's not going to happen. The key difference between Lucasfilm and their colleagues at Marvel Studios is that they have a plan over at Marvel. They mapped out where they were going well in advance. That's why they've been so successful.

But the opposite has been going on at Lucasfilm. Reportedly J.J. came up with an outline for the entire sequel trilogy, but Kathleen Kennedy let Rian Johnson throw it out and do his own thing. Colin Trevorrow fought for both Luke and Snoke to be alive for Episode IX. Kathleen Kennedy sided with Rian Johnson and fired Trevorrow in response. Now J.J. has been brought in to clean up the mess. I don't think he'll be able to fix it. But to be fair, I doubt anyone could right this ship after TLJ.

However, if they somehow "manage to churn out something that is really good", this is what I'm going to do:
          1. Wait until late in Episode IX's run when it's playing on only one screen at my local theater.
          2. Buy a ticket for some other movie, e.g., "Cats", that has a showing about the same time as Episode IX.
          3. Go into the Episode IX auditorium.
          Last edited by alpha128; 12-02-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I agree the new films have been less than great. However, I'd be willing to give a TV show the benefit of the doubt. Much of this will come down to the showrunner and the writing staff. Could be great if it's given to the right people and they have freedom to do their own thing.

E.g. Star Wars Rebels (animated series) was bloody superb and the best thing in the EU under Disney. Also worth noting that even though the prequels were largely awful, Genndy Tartakovsky still managed to put out a superb series with his Clone Wars mini-series (NOT the CGI series of the same name, I should note). Obvious this would be good after his work on Samurai Jack which has some SW influence in terms of it's world building.

Hence, I'd be happy to give a TV show a shot. It opens up new space to tell stories outside of the constraints of hollywood films, with continuity and hopefully a coherent universe.

What I've read about 'The Mandelorian' sounds very promising so far.
            Last edited by Ubik; 12-03-2018, 12:44 AM.
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Working...
            X