Star Trek Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Fans

well while we are addicted to b5, which of us are also trek fans and how do we feel about the shows

i was at dinner with a friend of mine(whom i have addicted to scifi) and a question i had never thought about before came up

"what is you favorite star trek episode ever" not just original or next gen or ds9 or voyager or that otherone but of them all pick 1

and i can't seem to "the doomsday device" keeps poping up in my head as a favorite however

anyway thought we might get a decent disscution on this

Doomsday device is a wonderful episode. I too am a trek fan, and I finally..with lots of effort, made my way all the way through Voyager. Yes, I know, quite a tough job. But somebody had to do it.

My favorite episode of trek is "The Inner Light" in which an alien probe shows up to the Enterprise-D and puts Picard in a Coma, letting him relive the entire last years of a species through the eyes of one man. It was really touching, and I thought innovative as well. Patrcik Stewart at his finest.

Funny how my favorite episodes of shows have titles that deal with being in light somehow I never noticed that until posting on two recent topics.
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

That's "The Doomsday Machine", at least in the original American broadcast. (I am not Amy but I sometimes play her on certain boards. )

By near universal consensus the greatest episode of the original series (and thefore the greatest of any of the series, by definitioni) is "The City on the Edge of Forever". Though considerably weakened from Harlan Ellison's final script, the basic story was so strong that subsequent ham-fisted attempts to rewrite it couldn't squeeze the vitality out of it. Even watered-down Ellison is enough to boil most other writers down to rags, and "City" proves it.

Second to that I'd pick "Yesterday's Enterprise" from TNG. I think it is a much stronger episode than "The Inner Light", with a much stronger science fiction idea at its heart and far more interesting choices to be made. (Does Picard even have an actual choice to make in "The Inner Light"?) Essentially the same story could have been told as a dream sequence or or any story where a character is near death or in a coma on virtually any TV series - cop show, medical drama, sitcom - where a character contemplates where a different life choice might have taken him. The aliens are just window-dressing for Picard's extended reverie about family life and the road not taken. Been there, done that. Ho-hum.

I didn't watch enough of any of the other shows to have a favorite episode. Going back to TOS I'd add "The Trouble with Tribbles", one of their few attempts at outright comedy, and one that worked (mostly thanks to the young David Gerrold's script - his first-ever piece of professional writing.)

Regards,

Joe
      Joseph DeMartino
      Sigh Corps
      Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
        That's "The Doomsday Machine", at least in the original American broadcast. (I am not Amy but I sometimes play her on certain boards. )

By near universal consensus the greatest episode of the original series (and thefore the greatest of any of the series, by definitioni) is "The City on the Edge of Forever". Though considerably weakened from Harlan Ellison's final script, the basic story was so strong that subsequent ham-fisted attempts to rewrite it couldn't squeeze the vitality out of it. Even watered-down Ellison is enough to boil most other writers down to rags, and "City" proves it.

Second to that I'd pick "Yesterday's Enterprise" from TNG. I think it is a much stronger episode than "The Inner Light", with a much stronger science fiction idea at its heart and far more interesting choices to be made. (Does Picard even have an actual choice to make in "The Inner Light"?) Essentially the same story could have been told as a dream sequence or or any story where a character is near death or in a coma on virtually any TV series - cop show, medical drama, sitcom - where a character contemplates where a different life choice might have taken him. The aliens are just window-dressing for Picard's extended reverie about family life and the road not taken. Been there, done that. Ho-hum.

I didn't watch enough of any of the other shows to have a favorite episode. Going back to TOS I'd add "The Trouble with Tribbles", one of their few attempts at outright comedy, and one that worked (mostly thanks to the young David Gerrold's script - his first-ever piece of professional writing.)

Regards,

Joe
        i have to agree that in "best" city is indeed at the top of the list, also "all good things" but when it comes to "favorite" is where this can become very interesting, yesterdays enterprise is indeed one of my favorites i'm also a big fan of the one with an astoroid that was an alien store house of data (i think it was called "masks")

Comment

"In the Pale Moonlight," hands down.
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

"Yesterday's Enterprise" is a wonderful episode as well. Definitely one of my fav TNG eps. "City On The Edge" is classic sci-fi at its best, of course. Though if I'm going original series, I like "A Piece Of The Action". It's just so fun and that was the first ep I saw as a kid. Totally sentimental reasons.

Regards,

Joe
            Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
            True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I would have to say The Best Of Both Worlds parts 1 and 2... what can i say? im an action man.
              Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Ha, I saw that, DeMartino! Incidentally, if you're interested in a nitpicking franchise, my license fees are quite reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG
                  Ha, I saw that, DeMartino! Incidentally, if you're interested in a nitpicking franchise, my license fees are quite reasonable.
                  <drops head in hands> Oh, no...please...just...no....not here, too....

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG
                    with what has to be 500 plus eps one can't be expected to be compleately right about everything at all times

now when we talk doctor who on the otherhand with 700 plus eps i'm almost always right odd that

Comment

My favourite episode would be this
                      *Den-Sha*

Comment

TOS: Conscience of the King (City i always felt was hugely over-rated)
                        TNG: Inner Light
                        DS9: Duet probably the best from any ST series

Voyager - err... umm...
                        Enterprise - hah!

Comment

I note that for the 40th anniversary, the original series eps are getting a CGI makeover, and being shown on TV, first broadcast is "Balance of Terror", one of my favourites, on September 16th

Comment

I haven't been able to determine which, if any, channels will be showing it around here. We don't have a CW affilitate yet. The current UPN affiliate is going to switch to carrying some second rate network for the time being.
                            Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I've been a fan of Star Trek since I was in single digits. I was either 2 or 3 and I noticed that Dad was watching a show that had some dude with pointed ears. I asked him what he was watching. He said "Star Trek. Wanna watch?" I said sure and was then forever hooked on the original series.

Then Next Gen came out, and I enjoyed that as well. Not as much as the original series, but Next Gen had it's strengths.

Then DS9. I watched a bit of the first season, it didn't hook me.

Then Voyager.

Then Enterprise.
                              RIP Coach Larry Finch
                              Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                              Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Working...
                              X