Of Accents and Pronounciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmyG
    It's a shame most people weren't while watching it...
    You should have been in my theater.

I remember how much TPM let me down. After seeing it, I got into my car and drove. Silently. Somehow, I wound up at Red Lobster. I went to their bar and just started drinking. I saw the first film when I was just under two years of age. ROTJ came out in 1983, so it was thirteen years until we got new theatrical Star Wars footage in the form of the Special Editions. I found those to be puzzling, if not utterly useless. Why hadn't I taken them as a signal of the garbage to come? Why had I walked into the cinema with the foregone conclusion that TPM would rule? Sixteen years of my life all came crashing down in the course of about ten minutes, which was the amount of time that it took for me to accept that the movie, well, sucked.

I am, however, hyped about the release of the unaltered original classic trilogy in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Dr Maturin; 08-29-2006, 07:36 PM.
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Wow. LiM, I feel your pain. I mean, honestly, I cannot think of anything more depressing than drinking to get drunk in a Red Lobster. It's so sublimely melancholic that it ought to be the beginning of a Twilight Zone episode.

Comment

Wow. LiM, I feel your pain. I mean, honestly, I cannot think of anything more depressing than drinking to get drunk in a Red Lobster. It's so sublimely melancholic that it ought to be the beginning of a Twilight Zone episode.
        Especially Red Lobster. But, sadly, there isn't a good seafood restaurant around here. Sorry, catfish is not seafood and Red Lobster is so laughably subpar in quality that the only reason to go there is...to get drunk in the bar.

Well, at least it was comparatively private.

And I didn't get drunk, per se. It takes a whole hell of a lot of alcohol (or stronger doses) to get me to the "fully inebriated" stage, but I did have a good buzz going on.
        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by LessonInMachismo
          Especially Red Lobster. But, sadly, there isn't a good seafood restaurant around here.
          Having grown up in a shore town but now living landlocked, I definitely feel your pain on this, too. People don't understand when I tell them that seafood isn't fresh enough unless you've looked out the window from your table, seen the boat pull up to the dock, and seen the captain sell his catch to the chef. Sigh.

Although, I will make exceptions. The best sushi fish I've ever eaten was decidedly not just-caught. I was at the opening of Chef Morimoto's restaurant in Philadelphia, and the best dish I had that night was an appetizer, a tuna tartare. There had been a lot of press before the opening, with people writing volumes about the specifics of the food, and so I'd been able to read that the toro they were using for that dish was from a $23,000 tuna belly that had been hand chosen for Morimoto and flown over encased in some absurd quantity of ice. Just the belly cost $23,000! And I can still remember the incredible taste of that dish the first time I had it. (Future eatings of it have been less memorable, probably because the toro was more ordinary.)

Okay, now I'm hungry!

Comment

Okay, now I'm hungry!
            I hear there's a KFC close to where you are.
            Joseph DeMartino
            Sigh Corps
            Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Having grown up in a shore town but now living landlocked, I definitely feel your pain on this, too. People don't understand when I tell them that seafood isn't fresh enough unless you've looked out the window from your table, seen the boat pull up to the dock, and seen the captain sell his catch to the chef. Sigh.

Although, I will make exceptions. The best sushi fish I've ever eaten was decidedly not just-caught. I was at the opening of Chef Morimoto's restaurant in Philadelphia, and the best dish I had that night was an appetizer, a tuna tartare. There had been a lot of press before the opening, with people writing volumes about the specifics of the food, and so I'd been able to read that the toro they were using for that dish was from a $23,000 tuna belly that had been hand chosen for Morimoto and flown over encased in some absurd quantity of ice. Just the belly cost $23,000! And I can still remember the incredible taste of that dish the first time I had it. (Future eatings of it have been less memorable, probably because the toro was more ordinary.)
              I used to eat the shit off of little carts on the streets of San Francisco, so yeah, nothing here can even compare.

I've tried sushi several times, but it's just not filling enough for me. I'm about to head out to the fancy Chinese restaurant, and while their food is the best of its type in the area, it in no way compares to the hole-in-the-wall Cantonese take out places back home, either in price or in taste. The entire menu is different.

Comment

BTW, LiM, I keep forgetting to mention how much I like the new avatar and the new nickname. I'm guessing "MyEnormousPenis" was already taken?

(You know I'm just funnin' with you. )

Regards,

Joe
                Joseph DeMartino
                Sigh Corps
                Pat Tallman Division

Comment

There's enough of my enormous penis to go around for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X