No announcement yet.

StarGate SG1 - Cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any SG1 fans heard any updates on this? I'm not so connected to that fandom base.
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I actually watched SG-Atlantis first... *going back in time...time...time....*
      I quite like SG-A because of Rodney and his sidekick(erm... Zelenka? Great character). But I can't see how they are going to keep it up for six of 7 seasons without improving the plotlines.

I've just started watching SG1(first 6 or seven episodes) and it's not bad, but on the other hand I haven't seen anything really new either. I take it that the overall storyline(s) will get better along the way? I don't read the fanforums because I don't want to read too many spollers... Basically it has the same weakness as SG-A, it misses an arc, even if it would only be a two seasons-arc.

Am I making sense here?
      "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

Originally posted by Towelmaster
        I quite like SG-A because of Rodney and his sidekick(erm... Zelenka? Great character). But I can't see how they are going to keep it up for six of 7 seasons without improving the plotlines.

I've just started watching SG1(first 6 or seven episodes) and it's not bad, but on the other hand I haven't seen anything really new either. I take it that the overall storyline(s) will get better along the way? I don't read the fanforums because I don't want to read too many spollers... Basically it has the same weakness as SG-A, it misses an arc, even if it would only be a two seasons-arc.

Am I making sense here?

Yup, the storyline develops pretty good. It peaks around season 3-5, but that's not to say it's bad after that, it's just not *as* wonderful. The chemistry of the characters in 4 and 5 just gel like none other. After that they have so much of a guest cast that they can return to plot points and it's like "ooh! I know who that is!" It'll even make a couple of the chars in Atlantis more interesting That's without spoiling it. But it's mostly episodic TNG style.
        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Am I making sense here?
          SG-1 does become more arc-based over time, however one of the show's greatest strengths were the quality of it's stand-alone episodes. (The one bad thing about our beloved Babylon 5, the very few stand-alones were not that good) S1-S6 were great, then it started going down-hill in S7. In S7 the show became an intergalactic scavenger hunt for Deus Ex Machina. Before that the show was very original. The premise of the show was "Ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances", how today's military would handle such a threat. You will love the S1 ender and S2 opener.

I really liked S1 of Atlantis, but S2 was very disapointing. The show was better when the expedition was cut off from Earth. They did that dyanamic very well, much better than Voyager ever did. S3 had been better, but they are using old SG-1 villains now, instead of now original foes so I am a little worried about it. Also seeing Dr. McKay is worth watching almost any episode of Atlantis, he is hilarious, and my favorite SG character.
          http://card.mygamercard.net/Wicked%20Vorlon.jpg

Comment

10 seasons is probably enough. I've been buying the seasons over the last year or two, and finished season 8 a couple of months ago. It was by far the worst season yet, and compared to the first season of SGA which we saw at the same time, it was nowhere close in quality. It just made me long for the earlier seasons with Richard Dean Anderson who really made the show what it was. I'm glad to hear season 9 and 10 are better though, and I'm looking forward to seeing them along with the SGA seasons when they come out on DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Anders
              10 seasons is probably enough. I've been buying the seasons over the last year or two, and finished season 8 a couple of months ago. It was by far the worst season yet, and compared to the first season of SGA which we saw at the same time, it was nowhere close in quality. It just made me long for the earlier seasons with Richard Dean Anderson who really made the show what it was. I'm glad to hear season 9 and 10 are better though, and I'm looking forward to seeing them along with the SGA seasons when they come out on DVD.
              Actually S9 and S10 are by far the worst seasons of SG-1 ever. I watched the show S1-S8, and stopped after a few episodes in S9, gave S10 a chance, hated it also. I'm glad SG-1 is over now.

Comment

Originally posted by Anders
                Season 10 the new cast finally settles in and picks up a nice dynamic. I wouldn't mind seeing them for another couple of seasons.

Comment

I would rather just have them start farscape again.
                  Milkman
                  www.mhoc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Milkman
                    I would rather just have them start farscape again.

Or maybe a Farscape/Firefly crossover series?

Comment

lol... a Farscape/Firefly crossover, hmm? yeah I'd vote for that .. if they hadn't killed off several good characters in Serenity (just 'not' what I personally had hoped to see, y'know?). And if CB could go back to playing mostly-strong/smart rather than mostly-ditsy/dingbatty (her SG1 character is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard to me, gotta leave the room when it's 'one of those' episodes).

Anne
                      [edited because originally I'd written 'Atlantis character' above instead of SG1 character.. maybe my brain was still trying to wrap itself around the dreaded possibility of the Vala character being carried over as-is into Atlantis after SG1 ends.. ]
                      Last edited by enjo; 10-04-2006, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by enjo
                        lol... a Farscape/Firefly crossover, hmm? yeah I'd vote for that .. if they hadn't killed off several good characters in Serenity (just 'not' what I personally had hoped to see, y'know?). And if CB could go back to playing mostly-strong/smart rather than mostly-ditsy/dingbatty (her SG1 character is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard to me, gotta leave the room when it's 'one of those' episodes).

Anne
                        [edited because originally I'd written 'Atlantis character' above instead of SG1 character.. maybe my brain was still trying to wrap itself around the dreaded possibility of the Vala character being carried over as-is into Atlantis after SG1 ends.. ]
                        I like CB...no matter what character she's playing. I think it'd be awesome to have her carried over, Ben too. They make such a nice dynamic together.

Comment

O.K, well I just saw 'There but for the grace of God"(S1E19). Now we're getting somewhere, that's darn good SF.

Comment

O.K, well I just saw 'There but for the grace of God"(S1E19). Now we're getting somewhere, that's darn good SF.
                            Ahhh, you have me reminiscing of the days when the show was great! Too bad the show is dreadful now.

You are going to love Serpents Lair and Serpents Grasp.

Comment

It's what you get when you save something for a (literally) rainy day... I have had to endure years of talk about SG1 just so right at this moment I can say "Well LOOK what the cat brought in! Ten seasons of SF I haven't seen yet.

Worked with B5 too. Everybody had seen it and then I went into a Marathon Overdrive Viewing Spree. Took me a month to get through 5 seasons and 4 movies... Didn't sleep much on the weekends though...

And then there is still Firefly which I haven't seen yet... This is just to bridge the gap until jms returns with more B5 you understand...

Comment

It's what you get when you save something for a (literally) rainy day... I have had to endure years of talk about SG1 just so right at this moment I can say "Well LOOK what the cat brought in! Ten seasons of SF I haven't seen yet.

Worked with B5 too. Everybody had seen it and then I went into a Marathon Overdrive Viewing Spree. Took me a month to get through 5 seasons and 4 movies... Didn't sleep much on the weekends though...

And then there is still Firefly which I haven't seen yet... This is just to bridge the gap until jms returns with more B5 you understand...
                                I just started watching SG1 last year via dvds..and I'm at the end of season 7 now. It really is good, and very similar to TNG in the dynamic...but a little less serious, which I like. I'd take Firefly over SG1 though...watch that first! But watch SG1 live and write the execs and tell them not to cancel it!!

Comment

Working...
                                X