No announcement yet.

Audiobooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like we have a very good distinction defined here between a Radio play, and an audio book (which is kind of what Jackanory was ... but for television).

Me ... I love radio plays and hate audio books. If I want to read a book, I would rather read it myself than have someone else read it to me.
    The Optimist: The glass is half full
    The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
    The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair
      Looks like we have a very good distinction defined here between a Radio play, and an audio book (which is kind of what Jackanory was ... but for television).

Me ... I love radio plays and hate audio books. If I want to read a book, I would rather read it myself than have someone else read it to me.
      Hey, I prefer holding the book and reading it, too, but you know the old saying... "Necessity is a mother" or something like that If I only read when I could sit down with the book, I'd go through maybe 10 books a year. By adding in audio books, I up that to 40 or so. It also gives some value to time that would otherwise be lost. All that being said, there are some times when it is fun to have a very talented reader read you a book.
      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Necessity is the mother of invention

... meaning, in this context, that the idea for Audio Books was probably dreamed up by someone who didn't have time to sit down and read a book, but could listen to someone else read them whilst doing something else.

Or ... Garibaldi inventing the steam rifle, because he had a Zarg to kill and just a pocket full of bullets and a steam pipe to do it with. Personally I would have just fed Jeremiah to the Zarg and legged it, but I am obviously not as innovative as MG.

Comment

Necessity is the mother of invention

... meaning, in this context, that the idea for Audio Books was probably dreamed up by someone who didn't have time to sit down and read a book, but could listen to someone else read them whilst doing something else.
          Actually, if I'm not mistaken, audio books were dreamed up by someone trying to help the blind. They were then embraced by people who didn't have time to sit down and read a book but could listen to someone else read them whilst doing something else. Some of the first adopters after the blind were factory workers, I believe. Now they fit in with commutes, exercise, housework, etc.
          "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

It wasn't meant as a factual or accurate description of how audio books came into being, but an example of what the expression necessity is the mother of invention meant, but I can see how you could read it that way.

Comment

It wasn't meant as a factual or accurate description of how audio books came into being, but an example of what the expression necessity is the mother of invention meant, but I can see how you could read it that way.
              Oops! Sorry if I sounded pedantic. I knew what you meant. I just thought it was a good opening to comment on the origin in general. Tried to show that with the wink. For the record, I knew the orginal phrasing of the "necessity" quote, but my warped sense of humor leads me to the form I used to represent "Necessity is a mother %*!$er" like I said -- warped.

Comment

Working...
              X