Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1000 STAR TREK BOOKS Which ones are worth reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RCmodeler
    Shatner created/wrote the Tekwar novels. It seems logical that he could write Trek novels too.
    No, he didn't. Ron Goulart did. But since Shatner is a bigger name, he gets credit for Ron's "ghost writing".
    "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by RCmodeler
      Shatner created/wrote the Tekwar novels. It seems logical that he could write Trek novels too.
      I agree, everything I've read/seen indicates that he wrote them, with some technical assistance and such from the Reeve-Stevens. There was at least one of the novels that they weren't even created on. If you read his forwards, he always thanks them for the vast knowledge of Trek and how helpful it has been.

Besides, I've read some of the novels by the Reeves-Stevens, and they in no way read like Shatner's. The style, tone, and...well...story over all are better in the Shatner books and clearly different.
      Anthony Flessas
      Writer/Producer/Director,
      SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Originally posted by colonyearth
        I agree, everything I've read/seen indicates that he wrote them, with some technical assistance and such from the Reeve-Stevens. There was at least one of the novels that they weren't even created on. If you read his forwards, he always thanks them for the vast knowledge of Trek and how helpful it has been.

Besides, I've read some of the novels by the Reeves-Stevens, and they in no way read like Shatner's. The style, tone, and...well...story over all are better in the Shatner books and clearly different.
        Tell me you're joking ...

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar
          Tell me you're joking ...
          NOPE. I see a different style there. While I'm sure they helped write and did write some portions of Shatner's novels, I do not believe that he did not write them. Sorry. Don't buy it.

And either way, they're still the best Trek novels in existance.
          Anthony Flessas
          SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Originally posted by colonyearth
            NOPE. I see a different style there. While I'm sure they helped write and did write some portions of Shatner's novels, I do not believe that he did not write them. Sorry. Don't buy it.

And either way, they're still the best Trek novels in existance.
            Now I know you're joking. The books credited to Shat aren't even among the average.

The best ones are the DS9 relaunch series, and the 4 written by the goddess known as Jean Lorrah.

Comment

Now I know you're joking. The books credited to Shat aren't even among the average.

The best ones are the DS9 relaunch series, and the 4 written by the goddess known as Jean Lorrah.
              You can have your opinion...and I'll have mine. Shatner's novels are wonderful, well-written, great at fixing Berman and Co.'s f*ck-ups, great at expounding on an already vast universe instead of constantly expanding, great at nailing each character from OS to ENT and making them better than the writers who wrote them in the shows most of the time.

Need I go on?

Anthony Flessas
              SP Pictures

Comment

FINAL TALLY - Got any more additions?

-Anything by Jean Lorrah, A. C. Crispin, Keith R. A. DeCandido, or S. D. Perry
                -Final Frontier
                -Peter David's NEW FRONTIER books
                -A Stitch in Time is about Garak
                -Shatner trilogies - Ashes of Eden... After that is The Return,
                -My Enemy, My Ally_, Diane Duane.
                -Ishmael_, Barbara Hambly.
                -Spock's World rocked
                -"The Wounded Sky"
                -"The Romulan Way"
                -"Doctor's Order" is another great novel
                -"Ghost Walker".
                -John M. Ford's "How Much For Just The Planet?รถ
                -"The Final Reflection",
                -"Yesterday's Son" from 1983, and its sequel "Time For Yesterday"
                -"The Vulcan Academy Murders" (1984) and its sequel "The IDIC Epidemic"
                -Carmen Carter's "Dreams Of The Raven"
                -Janet Kagan's "Uhura's Song"
                -Howard Weinstein's "Deep Domain".
                -"The Entropy Effect" by Vonda McIntyre was good.
                -PRIME DIRECTIVE
                -Federation
                -Diane Duane __Dark Mirror_*
                -Vonda McIntyre's "Enterprise" (one of the earlier books
                -"Crossroad"
                -"Ghost-Walker".
                -Carmen Carter's "Dreams of the Raven"
                -"Planet of Judgement" by Joe Haldeman.
                -Haldeman's "World Without End" is also worth a read.
                -"The Kobayashi Maru" - Julia Ecklar
                -"The Pandora Principle" - Carolyn Clowes
                -"Bloodthirst"
                -One from the Next Generation that's good for a laugh is "Q-in-Law" by Peter David. Put Q and Lwaxana Troi in the same story together and watch out!

Comment

No, he didn't. Ron Goulart did. But since Shatner is a bigger name, he gets credit for Ron's "ghost writing".
                  You spotted the "undercover" names in TekWar, too, huh?

I guess Ron figured that'd be a great way to reveal his ghost authorship - you'd have to have been a big enough Goulart reader to know from StarHawks...

Comment

Working...
                  X