No announcement yet.

The Rampant, Irresponsible Drinking Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried Bushmill's and Jameson. Not at the same time, but I've completed a bottle of each. Whiskey is a...very unique taste. The first time I drank whiskey I pulled out my can of paint thinner and took a whiff. A smell test to see which was whiskey and which was paint thinner. I honestly couldn't tell.

No offense to whiskey drinkers.
    RIP Coach Larry Finch
    Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
    Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Not much of a drinker of the hard stuff.

But beer.......Ahhhh...

Guinness is good if I want to nurse it for a while. For stouts I prefer Mackeson's Stout. Sweet and smooth.

A good summer beer is Hacker Pschorr Hefeweizen. Or a good dunkleweiss will work for me.

My favorite just all around drinking with friends beer is Sam Adams. Just about any of their styles. (Octoberfest being my favorite).

Shiner Bock is also a good social drinking beer.

A nice light beer is Hooegarden White Belgian Ale. Not always easy to find.

I could go on and on, being the beer geek I am.......
      You get what everyone gets. A lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
        Guinness is the nastiest, vomit-inducing shit I have ever had the displeasure of imbibing. Just terrible. I've been drinking quite a bit of Budweiser Select, whereas I used to drink Bud Light.
        And if the political discussions had not showed that you and I are at opposite places in opinion this would....
        A long lost friend from a summer research internship said something I'll always remembers: Bud Light is like watered down piss.
        And he's the one that first introduced me to Guiness.
        Stout is an acquired taste, pity on those unable to acquire it.

As for food and Beer:

For Chinese food I like Tsing Tao beer.
        For Mexican food I'll have a Negra Modelo (or a Bohemia, or a dark XX Laager).
        For Indian food I'll take a Golden Eagle if they have it (Kingfisher seems more common), one of the tastiest laagers I've had. Of course an India Pale Ale of several microbrewers would also go well.
        For Thai I'll have a Singha.
        For Central American food I'll have a Suprema (El Salvador) or a Famosa (Guatemala).
        And so on... if an international food restaurant has a beer from the country of the cuisine I'll try it.

Beer is the stuff. A good beer can match a good feast as well as a good wine.

BTW, all the Shiner beers I've tried I've liked, but Shiner Bock remains a favorite. The commercial immitation (from Anheuser Bush, methinks) Ziegen Bock is good for an immitation, better than the rest of their crop (crap) but doesn't reach the level of Shiner Bock.
        Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
        James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

When I do drink - I was a massive tightass about it for years, and by most reckonings (family) still am - I go for Rolling Rock. 99% of all beers I cough on, but that one I actually manage to like. Damned if I know why.

White wine, or white russians, I'll also go for.
          Radhil Trebors
          Persona Under Construction

Comment

I can't drink wine. I can't SMELL wine.

Rolling Rock is indeed the bizomb.

Thai food? Ew. Tastes and smells like old fish.

That's at least two people who have equated a taste with urine. With Vyce, it's understandable, what with the whole golden shower thing and all. But come on...
            Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I only drink beer when I am roaming with friends... y'know? Do as they do? Maybe I shouldn't, but what the heck...

Privately (at home) I drink port wine and cider, but only on weekends (personal rule to avoid any problems with the stuff).

I also like some other sweet wines, like "Beerenauslese" (have no idea how that is called in english, means "selected berries") or Icewine. Some taste quite good, with a blue cheese (don't know if that's the right name, was the only one my translator knew)...
              With the right meal I also like red wine. I don't drink any white wine, maybe because the first time I drank to much (and that was the first time I drank anyway) it was with white wine... I can't stand it anymore 8-)

PeAcE
              greetings from austria, best known for its history and fine wine... feels like a wine cellar on a graveyard 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG
                Z'ha'dumDweller, how am I supposed to take you seriously when you dis Guinness in favor of...Budweiser?? Are you perhaps drinking the bottled stuff in the US? That stuff is _not_ for drinking: you need the cans with the nitro thingies in them, if you can't get it on tap.

Me, I like single malt whiskey. Tobermory and Oban are among my faves. Anybody else?
                I have to agree with you on both the Bud and the whiskey issue, Amy.
                Though my favs in terms of single malt are Braes of Glenlivet and Dalwhinnie.
                But Oban is fine with me, too.
                There is also an almost black one I tried once but I forgot it's name.

As for Guinness I have to say that I like it BUT only draft and I can drink a max of three pints. Then I switch to Cider. Bulmers is my favorite there.

While in germany I only drink Becks and Hefeweizen.

In wines I prefer chilenian, south african or australian and most definitely spanish red wines.
                Can you say Rioja?
                What's up Drakh?

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout
                  Since we're on the topic of Guinness (which I've drunk for about 17 years - almost check my B'day in profile) can I say I agree with you amy, bottled or canned is p*sswater - the only way to have it is draft, and even then check which dya of the week the bar cleans the pipes, preferebly buy it that evening.
                  phazedout, I definitely agree with you that draft is best, and west is better (how about in Doolin, if you're in that end of the country?), but if you're here in the US and can't get out to a bar, the cans with the nitro thingies in them are a fair compromise - and they are much better than "the shite" (the stuff in the bottles, ugh!).

As for cider, what's your preference? I like Scrumpy Jack, but it took me until just last year to find someone who imports it into the US. When I can't get Scrumpy Jack, I like Strongbow.

WillieStealAndHow, it's no wonder you can't tell between whiskey and paint thinner if all you've tried is Bushmill's and Jameson's... (no offense to Bushmill's and Jameson's drinkers, but there's just nothing like a good Scotch whisky - no "e" when you're talking about the stuff from Scotland, please!).

Harrdy, I've tried ice wine. I do like dessert wines, but only in their proper place - I could never drink one except as a sweet treat, after a meal, in the evening. Tokaj (a Hungarian sweet wine) is good for that, as is a blueberry wine I get here in the US, by a vineyard named Alba.

I love Lyta, if you ever think of the name of that almost-black single malt, please post it here!

Comment

phazedout, I definitely agree with you that draft is best, and west is better (how about in Doolin, if you're in that end of the country?), but if you're here in the US and can't get out to a bar, the cans with the nitro thingies in them are a fair compromise - and they are much better than "the shite" (the stuff in the bottles, ugh!).

As for cider, what's your preference? I like Scrumpy Jack, but it took me until just last year to find someone who imports it into the US. When I can't get Scrumpy Jack, I like Strongbow.
                    As to doolin, I have a friend who's fiance's from Newquay (formerly Burren) in north clare, so I've had a few pinties in Doolin, 'tis indeed lovely.

I generally avoid cider, it f**ks up my stoumach no end Just gave my Monaghan friends suggestion. I drank Scrumpy when I was living in cork as I could get a six pack of 500ml cans for 5 punts - a bargin when on a budget.

Have you tried snakebite? half cider half larger in a pint glass (or, for the real sumbags, pop the larger, drink off half it and then top up the can with Cider -excellent when "knacker drinking"*
                    I do like the bushmills and wil be in Scotland over easter so I'll try some local ones. Iain Banks (see sig) has produced a book on scottish whiskys and distelleries so I'll purchas eand bring with
                    Phaze
                    on the "hmm, purchase some holsten now" ID
                    * colloquial Irish phrase used to refer to drinking done outside, normally the preserve of winos and broke students, usually done in parks and other places where the cops will confiscate (and, if they're not near quota arrest you!).
                    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Those bastards! I just realized that they didn't bring me my chile relleno. I ordered a carnitas dinner, and a combination including two tacos and a chile relleno! I had had quite a bit to drink by the time the food arrived, so I guess I just didn't notice.
                      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

phazedout,
                        !
                        I have been searching for 7 months to find a us importer of scrumpy jack. please help me to end my quest. - I work in a restaurant and also developed and maintain their web site in Nebraska, Scrumpy Jacks.

I was lucky, or cursed however you want to look at it, to have one of fantastic hard ciders after opening night. Since that day I have been cursed with what has been a endless task of finding an importer. This is some of the greatest news of my life....well at least the last 7 months anyway.

If you could have pitty on my situation- Could you provide me with name for the importer or the establishment that you have found that serves this beverage.

I was just getting ready to take a skip over the pond and fill my suitcase.

as for all the other drinks...I must say I am a big Jameson and Bushmills fan. I end each day with a nice warm 4 finger glass of one or the other.

well its been a 22 hour day and 16 fingers...

Comment

I take it people here have heard of the 'Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster'. I know how to sorta simulate one. It's called 'Rusty Nails' and it's Australian... One part Chivas Regal and one part Drambuie. That's all there is to it. No ice(heaven forbid!!!) and served in a warmed glass(like cognac).

Try drinking a couple of those and still staying upright...

And then there is the (edited) Monthy Pyton joke... "What is the similarity between Bud and making love in a canoe?"... :-)

TM(born in Heineken-country).
                          "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

I've found a few recipies for a "Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster"-

1 oz. EverClear
                            4 oz. Bombay Sapphire or Jeremiah Weed
                            4 oz. Cold Wild Turkey
                            2 oz. Herredura Tequila
                            5 oz. Rum
                            1 worm from bottle of Mezcal
                            2 oz. Gatorade
                            35 cl Tia Maria« coffee liqueur
                            35 cl vodka
                            17.5 cl cherry brandy
                            1 dash lime juice
                            7-Up« soda
                            dry cider

Method Pour the tia maria, vodka and cherry brandy together into a pint glass. Add a dash of lime juice. Fill with equal amounts of dry cider and 7-up, and add ice cubes
                            * 1 1/2 shots 151 Proof Rum
                            * 1/4 shot Tequila
                            * 1/4 shot Gin
                            * 2/3 shot Triple Sec
                            * 1 shot Blue Curacao
                            * 1 dash Bitters
                            * 1 dash Grenadine
                            The Bartender's Best Friend also has a recipe for the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster as follows:

1/2 ounce vodka 1/2 ounce triple sec 1/2 ounce Yukon Jack liqueur 1/2 ounce peach schnapps 1/2 ounce Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice 1/2 ounce cranberry juice lemon-lime soda

Build in an ice-filled Collins glass, filling it with the soda. Stir with a long straw.
                            RIP Coach Larry Finch
                            Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                            Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

I know B5 is off-topic in this forum and thread, but shouldn't a discussion on rampant irresponsible drinking mention Mr. Garibaldi?

Anybody knows what was his drink of choice?
                              Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                              James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
                                I know B5 is off-topic in this forum and thread, but shouldn't a discussion on rampant irresponsible drinking mention Mr. Garibaldi?

Anybody knows what was his drink of choice?
                                HARD Liquor I tell ya, HaRd Liquor!
                                "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

Working...
                                X