Lost - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro
    ... I've always been curious about whether or not someone shifts their thinking process to a new language when they move to a new country, or if their brain continues to translate from their native language.
    ... It depends on the situation, at least for me.

... When I'm at work, or on the phone, or anywhere with Japanese people, I'm thinking in Japanese. Even talk to myself in Japanese. It's kind of strange when you first discover yourself doing this.. but it's only natural.

... When I'm at home, or when I'm with other English-speakers (doesn't happen often), I've got English running through my head.

... I imagine it works that way for most people who've lived in another country for a long time.
    "I think I'll pass on the tuna, thanks."

Comment

Originally posted by The Puzzled Pak'Ma'Ra
      ... It depends on the situation, at least for me.

... When I'm at work, or on the phone, or anywhere with Japanese people, I'm thinking in Japanese. Even talk to myself in Japanese. It's kind of strange when you first discover yourself doing this.. but it's only natural.

... When I'm at home, or when I'm with other English-speakers (doesn't happen often), I've got English running through my head.

... I imagine it works that way for most people who've lived in another country for a long time.
      My wife still thinks and dreams in Spanish, despite living in the US for almost twenty years. That's probably due to her mother's flat out refusal to assimilate into American culture. Hell, her mom still doesn't speak English.
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I believe Mira Furlan is from Croatia. I wonder if Lost would even have been made had Babylon 5 not existed. It was after all groundbreaking with the whole arc thing.

Comment

Rest assured, B5 wasn't the first show with an arc.
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Well... then I guess I'm a work in progress
            Despite me living in Germany for 2 yeats already I don't speak that terrible local language and since I work in multu-national company where all communications are in English - obviously my English improves all the time. In fact at the moment I'm somewhere in between two languages - sometimes I think days thinking in English and switch to Russian only when (and if) I have lexicon problems. And I find harder and harder to switch back to Russian.

Abd back to the topic - I love "Lost" (even now, after they killed my favourite character).

Comment

Language

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro
              I've always been curious about whether or not someone shifts their thinking process to a new language when they move to a new country, or if their brain continues to translate from their native language.
              Well, I never moved but we are so exposed to English that I rarely translate. It's really embarassing: sometimes I know how to say it in English but the Dutch (my mothertongue) word escapes me.
              When I come across a new word I don't look it up in the Dutch-English dictionary. I simply look it up in the Webster's.

The hardest are the expressions. You have some weird one's.
              I took me quite a while to figure out what Marcus meant by "a kind word AND A 2X4". If you search 2X4 in Google you get the weirdest possibilities. Some are hilarious! (from something like airbags to suspenders )
              Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
              John Sheridan

Comment

Originally posted by DeMonk
                If you search 2X4 in Google you get the weirdest possibilities. Some are hilarious! (from something like airbags to suspenders )
                ... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! THAT'S GREAT!

... A real international crowd here. I love the 21st Century.
                "I think I'll pass on the tuna, thanks."

Comment

Originally posted by DeMonk
                  Well, I never moved but we are so exposed to English that I rarely translate. It's really embarassing: sometimes I know how to say it in English but the Dutch (my mothertongue) word escapes me.
                  A friend of mine at work whose native tongue is spanish will sometimes get fumble-tongued in both languages when she's stressed or over-tired. We say that the 'translation computer's gone offline' when that happens.

... A real international crowd here. I love the 21st Century.
                  AMEN!

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Somehow the topic switched from Lost (the show) to lost (what the heck does that expression mean!), but strangely still on topic about being lost, just about different things
                    Flying around the room under my own power.

Comment

I'm from Australia and live in an Asian part of London. I'm forgetting how to think in any language. I know there have been arc series' before but Lost is kind of Science Fictionish (to me anyway, I'm still new to it). I was saying it in reference to JMS saying on the DVDs how people didn't think America was ready for a 5 year Science Fiction show. I don't know too much about American audiences.I do know there are some great micro breweries in America, though.

Comment

I spent 3 years in Korea and although I can't speak much Korean there are some Korean words and phrases I would use a lot there and they come to mind instantly instead of the English, sometimes out of my mouth too. I'm sure if I knew more Korean then this would be even more so.

I didn't find Mira convincing as a French woman. Her accent sounded European (surprise, surprise), but not distinctly French. Still I thought she did a good job in the role. (Actually I taught English to a Korean woman who was fluent in French. She spoke intermediate - advanced English with a French accent. It was quite interesting to see.)

They're playing Lost repeats here and I'm watching it to see Mira. I watched a few of the episodes the first time around but it dragged the mystery of the island out for so long I didn't want to bother. If I knew it was going to be an alien thing, then the payoff probably would have been sufficient for me to watch it. But knowing that it might turn out to be supernatural instead, not worth it.

Sao.
                        "Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me."

Comment

Originally posted by saori
                          I watched a few of the episodes the first time around but it dragged the mystery of the island out for so long I didn't want to bother. If I knew it was going to be an alien thing, then the payoff probably would have been sufficient for me to watch it. But knowing that it might turn out to be supernatural instead, not worth it.
                          I don't really think any of it will turn out either alien or supernatural, or at least not entirely. The second season seems to have turned more to a psychological mystery.

I, too, was frustrated last season over the lack of payoffs but I've relaxed this year and I'm enjoying it more I think. The key is understanding that the show's practically in real time so we can't really expect to get any payoffs any faster than would happen in real life. We're spoiled by most TV shows that conveniently have so much happen in one little episode that we forget that life isn't like that. So I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride. The writing and characterization is still excellent.

Jan
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I don't know what's happened to me but I've almost completely stopped watching any TV that's not sci fi (or sci fi related).

I think B5 ruined me for the rest of TV programmes and films. I've gotten so much satisfaction from it that unless something of a different genre is very good I don't bother watching it. And since we don't have a sci fi channel here in grey sector that means watching B5 or other sci fi repeats. Still, its guaranteed satisfaction, although from an external perspective it probably seems quite sad....
                            "Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me."

Comment

Been a while since anybody posted to this thread. I've edited the thread name to warn of Spoilers. Did anybody catch last night's episode?

Wow...nobody can claim that nothing happened in this episode! But we still keep adding questions.

Anybody know how much 'island time' that Michael was gone for? I can't decide whether he might have been brainwashed or if he made a deal in order to try to get Walt back. The former, I think.

Jan

Comment

I immediately thought that Michael was brainwashed. He may have been programmed to shoot Ana Lucia specifically, but to also make sure there were no witnesses if it came to that. The way he looked, it seemed he was prepared to shoot her, but was not emotionally prepared to shoot others - it was more of a reflex to cover his butt.

I think during the show at one point there was a time reference, but I can't remember with who or when exactly.
                                Flying around the room under my own power.

Comment

Working...
                                X