Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    Looks like JMS called it. He wanted Dark Knight to win but thought that Angelina stood a good chance.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    35TH ANNUAL SATURN AWARDS Winners

Horror Entertainment, LLC. link

Today 8:56 PM PDT , by Lawrence P. Raffel
    Saturn Award Winners Announced

IESB.net link

THE DARK KNIGHT Wins Big - Complete List of Winners from the 35th Annual Saturn Awards
    Written by IESB Staff
    Wednesday, 24 June 2009

35TH ANNUAL SATURN AWARDS Winners
    Actress:
    Angelina Jolie ("Changeling")

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    The Saturn Awards ceremonies are being held this coming Wednesday, June 24 at the Castaway in Burbank.

Changeling is nominated in the following categories:

BEST ACTION ADVENTURE THRILLER FILM

BEST ACTRESS

BEST DIRECTION

BEST WRITING

BEST MUSIC

BEST COSTUME

Jan
    Jan,

Thank you for the reminder. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Dan Dassow

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    The Saturn Awards ceremonies are being held this coming Wednesday, June 24 at the Castaway in Burbank.

Changeling is nominated in the following categories:

BEST ACTION ADVENTURE THRILLER FILM

BEST ACTRESS

BEST DIRECTION

BEST WRITING

BEST MUSIC

BEST COSTUME

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    Changeling (film) Wikipedia Article now a featured article

The Changeling (film) Wikipedia article is now a featured article. This is due in large part to the amazing effort and writing talent of Steve.

Featured articles are considered to be the best articles in Wikipedia, as determined by Wikipedia's editors. Before being listed here, articles are reviewed at featured article candidates for accuracy, neutrality, completeness, and style according to our featured article criteria.

At present, there are 2,494 featured articles, of a total of 2,858,364 articles on the English Wikipedia. Thus, about one in 1,140 articles is listed here. Articles that no longer meet the criteria can be proposed for improvement or removal at featured article review.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    Christopher Award Winners Announced

Christopher Award Winners Announced

NEW YORK, April 14 /PRNewswire/ -- From the slums of Mumbai to the Iraqi desert, from skid row in Los Angeles to the aftermath of the Holocaust on Lithuanian survivors, winners of the annual 60th annual Christopher Awards share the common theme of hope in the face of adversity. The Awards, which will be presented on Thursday, April 16, salute media that remind audiences of their power to make a difference.

Twenty-four feature films, TV and cable programs, and books for adults and young people, along with their 98 writers, illustrators, directors, producers and executive producers, will be recognized at the Christopher Awards gala, at the McGraw-Hill Building, here.

Father Dennis W. Cleary, M.M., the new director of The Christophers, expressed his pleasure at personally greeting this year's winners. "Artists offer humanity a unique prism," said Father Cleary. "The creative contributions recognized by the Christopher Awards present views of reality which heighten inspiration and engage the human soul. Each Christopher Award winner 'affirms the highest values of the human spirit.'"

Feature Films

The six Award-winning Feature Films focus on protagonists from youth to old age facing extreme challenges. Slumdog Millionaire's Jamal Malik and The Secret Life of Bees' Lily Owens survive brutal childhoods and grow up to be winners in spite of early obstacles. [email protected] follows a chorus of senior citizens as they rehearse and perform contemporary rock, despite physical infirmities and initial unfamiliarity with their repertoire. Music bridges the gap between generations and cultures in The Visitor and a lone robot with an affinity for Broadway show tunes helps bring life back to garbage-strewn Earth in the computer-animated WALL-E. And finally, Changeling, directed by Clint Eastwood, shows a mother's fierce determination to reunite with her abducted son in the face of rampant police corruption in Los Angeles circa 1928. ...

The Christophers are rooted in the Judeo-Christian tradition of service to God and humanity. The ancient Chinese proverb -- "It's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness" -- guides its publishing, radio and awards programs. To learn more, visit www.christophers.org.
    http://www.christophers.org/Page.aspx?pid=956
    Last edited by Dan Dassow; 04-16-2009, 07:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• babylonlurker
    replied
    I can only agree with that assessment.

Just received the DVD a few days ago and plan to share the viewing with a friend in a few days. She has sesen the film, but I think it is well worth a second viewing.

And welcome to the board , Steve

Originally posted by SteveB View Post
    I've just seen "Changeling."

Congratulations are in order to JMS and everyone involved for making a powerful, excellent film.

Angelina Jolie gave the best performance I have ever seen her give as well as John Malkovich.

The story, to me anyway, is about courage. We need it. We cannot live without it. Only with it can we "speak truth to power."

Leave a comment:

• SteveB
    replied
    Congratulations

I've just seen "Changeling."

Congratulations are in order to JMS and everyone involved for making a powerful, excellent film.

Angelina Jolie gave the best performance I have ever seen her give as well as John Malkovich.

The story, to me anyway, is about courage. We need it. We cannot live without it. Only with it can we "speak truth to power."

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Apparently some of their categories are open to any piece of work. Kyra Sedgwick is up for Best Actress for "The Closer", for instance.

"Changeling" is listed in the Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Film category.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/the-dar...t-leads-as.php
    'Changeling' has been nominated for six Saturn Awards by The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror films:
    I'm very glad for JMS and all the people involved, but I'm also a little confused. Since I don't follow the awards closely, is it common for the the Academy Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films to present awards to works that aren't science fiction, fantasy or horror?

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
    I'm just curious as to what kind of influence that these awards have (if he were to win) in the industry and what effect they would have on his future endeavours.
    Not being in the business, it's hard to say but my impression is that even being nominated for a well-respected award can be beneficial to your career in the form of a better negotiating stance ("You seriously want me to go to my multi-award nominated client and offer him that paltry amount?!") to being able to make contact with the real decision makers instead of lower level development people ("Mr. Howard, that writer with the name I can't pronounce is returning your call on line 3.").

Some of this began the moment that Ron Howard bought "Changeling", of course, but I think the award nominations help keep that status in the forefront of the Hollywood mind.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
    As I'm thrilled that Changeling has been nominated for 6 Saturn Awards, how much weight do these awards carry in the movie business? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that JMS gets any kind of recognition that he so deserves. I'm just curious as to what kind of influence that these awards have (if he were to win) in the industry and what effect they would have on his future endeavours.
    The Saturn Awards were mentioned in Variety, Cineblend, BBC News, the Los Angeles Times, and the New York Times.

Leave a comment:

• Truth66
    replied
    As I'm thrilled that Changeling has been nominated for 6 Saturn Awards, how much weight do these awards carry in the movie business? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that JMS gets any kind of recognition that he so deserves. I'm just curious as to what kind of influence that these awards have (if he were to win) in the industry and what effect they would have on his future endeavours.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Changeling nominated for Six Saturn Awards

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/the-dar...t-leads-as.php

'Changeling' has been nominated for six Saturn Awards by The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror films:

Best Action/Adventure/Thriller film
    Best Actress
    Best Director
    Best Writing (woo-hoo!)
    Best Music
    Best Costume

The awards ceremony will take place on June 25 at a site to be announced.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• PMvanova
    replied
    Any recognition..

from what I recall in his mind, any recognition is better than none. He was floored at being in Cannes and among the European set over there. Imagine him walking down the red carpet here!
    Even if he wasn't nominated, he would have gotten an invite. He was the screenwriter for a film that was nominated in three categories, that ain't nothin' to sneeze at.
    Joe is now 'a name' that is bandied about regularly, and granted, his first project out of the gate was a bit off the beaten track, it's an amazing ride still for him.

(OT: I have decided not to attend San Diego Comicon this year due to budget restrictions. So I won't be able to see Joe in person this year.)

I am happy for Joe no matter if he gets an award or nomination or whatever. I'm sure everyone else here feels the same way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X