Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jan View Post
    http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/the-dar...t-leads-as.php
    'Changeling' has been nominated for six Saturn Awards by The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror films:
    I'm very glad for JMS and all the people involved, but I'm also a little confused. Since I don't follow the awards closely, is it common for the the Academy Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films to present awards to works that aren't science fiction, fantasy or horror?
    "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Apparently some of their categories are open to any piece of work. Kyra Sedgwick is up for Best Actress for "The Closer", for instance.

"Changeling" is listed in the Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Film category.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Congratulations

I've just seen "Changeling."

Congratulations are in order to JMS and everyone involved for making a powerful, excellent film.

Angelina Jolie gave the best performance I have ever seen her give as well as John Malkovich.

The story, to me anyway, is about courage. We need it. We cannot live without it. Only with it can we "speak truth to power."

Comment

I can only agree with that assessment.

Just received the DVD a few days ago and plan to share the viewing with a friend in a few days. She has sesen the film, but I think it is well worth a second viewing.

And welcome to the board , Steve

Originally posted by SteveB View Post
          I've just seen "Changeling."

Congratulations are in order to JMS and everyone involved for making a powerful, excellent film.

Angelina Jolie gave the best performance I have ever seen her give as well as John Malkovich.

The story, to me anyway, is about courage. We need it. We cannot live without it. Only with it can we "speak truth to power."
          Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Christopher Award Winners Announced

Christopher Award Winners Announced

NEW YORK, April 14 /PRNewswire/ -- From the slums of Mumbai to the Iraqi desert, from skid row in Los Angeles to the aftermath of the Holocaust on Lithuanian survivors, winners of the annual 60th annual Christopher Awards share the common theme of hope in the face of adversity. The Awards, which will be presented on Thursday, April 16, salute media that remind audiences of their power to make a difference.

Twenty-four feature films, TV and cable programs, and books for adults and young people, along with their 98 writers, illustrators, directors, producers and executive producers, will be recognized at the Christopher Awards gala, at the McGraw-Hill Building, here.

Father Dennis W. Cleary, M.M., the new director of The Christophers, expressed his pleasure at personally greeting this year's winners. "Artists offer humanity a unique prism," said Father Cleary. "The creative contributions recognized by the Christopher Awards present views of reality which heighten inspiration and engage the human soul. Each Christopher Award winner 'affirms the highest values of the human spirit.'"

Feature Films

The six Award-winning Feature Films focus on protagonists from youth to old age facing extreme challenges. Slumdog Millionaire's Jamal Malik and The Secret Life of Bees' Lily Owens survive brutal childhoods and grow up to be winners in spite of early obstacles. [email protected] follows a chorus of senior citizens as they rehearse and perform contemporary rock, despite physical infirmities and initial unfamiliarity with their repertoire. Music bridges the gap between generations and cultures in The Visitor and a lone robot with an affinity for Broadway show tunes helps bring life back to garbage-strewn Earth in the computer-animated WALL-E. And finally, Changeling, directed by Clint Eastwood, shows a mother's fierce determination to reunite with her abducted son in the face of rampant police corruption in Los Angeles circa 1928. ...

The Christophers are rooted in the Judeo-Christian tradition of service to God and humanity. The ancient Chinese proverb -- "It's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness" -- guides its publishing, radio and awards programs. To learn more, visit www.christophers.org.
            http://www.christophers.org/Page.aspx?pid=956
            Last edited by Dan Dassow; 04-16-2009, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Changeling (film) Wikipedia Article now a featured article

The Changeling (film) Wikipedia article is now a featured article. This is due in large part to the amazing effort and writing talent of Steve.

Featured articles are considered to be the best articles in Wikipedia, as determined by Wikipedia's editors. Before being listed here, articles are reviewed at featured article candidates for accuracy, neutrality, completeness, and style according to our featured article criteria.

At present, there are 2,494 featured articles, of a total of 2,858,364 articles on the English Wikipedia. Thus, about one in 1,140 articles is listed here. Articles that no longer meet the criteria can be proposed for improvement or removal at featured article review.

Comment

The Saturn Awards ceremonies are being held this coming Wednesday, June 24 at the Castaway in Burbank.

Changeling is nominated in the following categories:

BEST ACTION ADVENTURE THRILLER FILM

BEST ACTRESS

BEST DIRECTION

BEST WRITING

BEST MUSIC

BEST COSTUME

Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                  The Saturn Awards ceremonies are being held this coming Wednesday, June 24 at the Castaway in Burbank.

Changeling is nominated in the following categories:

BEST ACTION ADVENTURE THRILLER FILM

BEST ACTRESS

BEST DIRECTION

BEST WRITING

BEST MUSIC

BEST COSTUME

Jan
                  Jan,

Thank you for the reminder. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Dan Dassow

Comment

35TH ANNUAL SATURN AWARDS Winners

Horror Entertainment, LLC. link

Today 8:56 PM PDT , by Lawrence P. Raffel
                    Saturn Award Winners Announced

IESB.net link

THE DARK KNIGHT Wins Big - Complete List of Winners from the 35th Annual Saturn Awards
                    Written by IESB Staff
                    Wednesday, 24 June 2009

35TH ANNUAL SATURN AWARDS Winners
                    Actress:
                    Angelina Jolie ("Changeling")

Comment

Looks like JMS called it. He wanted Dark Knight to win but thought that Angelina stood a good chance.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                      X